Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1395472 Posts in 67266 Topics- by 60348 Members - Latest Member: paranoiz

September 25, 2021, 12:41:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNot Alone - Top-Down Action RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Not Alone - Top-Down Action RPG  (Read 345 times)
Michau
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2021, 12:42:57 PM »

Welcome!

My name is MichaƂ and I'm a 19 year old student from Poland. "Not Alone" is my first serious project I've been creating for more than a year now. I'm doing it more as a hobby than as a way to make money, but maybe someone will get interested in it. Who knows?   Shrug

What is Not Alone?

Not alone is going to be a top-down action RPG, that focuses mainly on story, exploration and rather simple combat system. You will be able to upgrade your character by using numerous different weapons, armors and accessories, rather than leveling up. The game will have branching dialogue system, quests, which you can complete in different ways and which will affect the story. It's a game about a castaway, who got to the island that seems to have been separated from outside world for ages, where technological progress stopped around medieval times, but residents of the island collect various items washed ashore by the ocean, so you will be able to use both medieval and modern items. People living on the island have a problem with monsters, that started attacking them, and they're trying to find, who is responsible for that problem, but as a result they just keep getting more and more divided. Our goal is to reunite them and find out, who is the real villain.

Progress and plans

There is still a lot to do. Most of the assets are placeholders, but I've finally included all of the essential mechanics that I wanted: combat, inventory, shop system, consumables, branching dialogues, day and night cycle, enemy AI, save and load system and much more. So far I am the only person working on this game, so I am responsible for everything - programming, models, animations etc. Probably I will be also creating music, and design characters, since I can't really hire more people, and why would I do that, since it's a hobby project  Tongue

Combat
The combat is pretty simple - you can perform fast and strong attacks, block and dodge enemies' ones and obviously shoot enemies using bows, guns, and various other weapons which will appear in the game soon   Wink. But you don't really have to fight, since there are also sneaking mechanics in game. There's also stamina system so You have to pay attention not to run out of it, because then you can't attack or dodge. Combat feels a bit slow now, since all the animations were made long time ago, and they lack dynamics a lot, but I'll fix that as soon as I'll replace them soon.

Exploration
I created a system allowing to load maps from external file and made an engine for NPCs daily routines. The map would not be huge, but there will be a lot of secrets to uncover. All the NPCs appearing in game will have their own story, routines and personality and you will be able to get in touch with every single one of them during various quests.

Story
I already have most of the story and quests planned out. It won't be a very long game (all the quests I planned out so far will take about 8-10 hours to complete, but most of them are optional). I also have an idea for many characters, but I will be thinking about it more seriously in later stages of development. The game will be rather funny and parodic, but will also have some serious moments for sure. Your decisions will affect the story and individual arcs and finally result in one of a few different endings.

Developing your character
You will be able to upgrade your character by using different weapons and accessories. There won't be leveling up, instead items you equip will affect the stats of your character. I've made these bonuses customizable, so once obtaining a new weapon, you are able to decide, which stats it's gonna increase and how much, depending on item's quality. (So there will be randomized loot, but not really  Grin)

Support the project

As I mentioned earlier about 2 or 3 times, Not Alone is just a funny side project to do in my free time, but having some people actually interested in it will definitely motivate me to keep working harder and improve my Idea.

You can join my Discord Server if you want Smiley

I've also started posting Devlogs on Youtube, you can check them out too! Here are the newest ones:

Feel free to criticize and give advice, I really appericiate any kind of constructive criticism

Screenshots

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:30:24 AM by Michau » Logged

You can contact me via Discord: Michau#4695
My Game's Youtube Chanel
ArtStation
Michau
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »

Not Alone Devlog #1

Hi there! I've posted a new Devlog yesterday where I talk about the most important features I've added over a last few weeks:

- Dialogues - completely rebuilt my dialogue system, so now it displays text over time like in most indie games, but also added a lot of features to it, so now I can move NPCs and player around, create and rotate objects, play animations, move camera and do many other things without adding a single line of code :D

- Combat improvements - added a stamina bar to balance the combat system, bonus damage for hitting enemies from behind, pursuit mechanics and completely rebuilt collisions between enemies making combat more interesting and challenging

- Consumables - added potions to my game. Now player can put them inside a hotbar and drink when necessary. Potions obviously give buffs to the player and can be stacked, so you can drink a few of them for a stronger buff.

I'm also planning to create a little Demo when I'm done with just a few remaining mechanics, so I'll be able to get some feedback from people, so stay tuned  Wink

My Game's Youtube Chanel
ArtStation
Michau
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 09:42:19 AM »

Not Alone Devlog #2

I just uploaded a new devlog where I'm talking about all the stuff I've added since the last one:

- Item bonuses - Created a system, where every dropped item gets different amount of points depending on randomly picked quality, which you can spend to make the item provide bonuses to player's stats when equipped, so next to its specific functions every item can also provide customizable bonus to stats such as Max HP, Movement speed or Damage. Now getting items are the main way to develop your character just as I planned. This system seems to be OK, but I don't know how it's gonna work out in the final game. What do you think?

- Loot tables - Previously every enemy was just dropping some random item form the list of all items in the game, so I had to come up with something different. Now every type of enemy has its own customizable loot table that you can load from extrenal file.

- Menus - Made a main menu and pause menu, where player can save and load a game on different slots and so some other basic stuff.

- Level editor - put together a basic one to speed up my work. It does some basic stuff like positioning, scalling and rotating assets, snapping, working with different layers and obviously saving maps to external files. There might be a level editor included in the final game, but I haven't made up my ming about it yet.

These were last features I wanted to be in "Not Alone" so now I'm working on replacing all the placeholders (pretty much most of the assets in the game Tongue ). Next I'll be working on adding content and I'll release a Demo as soon as possible, so stay tuned if you are interested! :D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 10:14:23 AM by Michau » Logged

My Game's Youtube Chanel
ArtStation
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic