Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:38:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocket Island: Myst-like Point and Click Puzzle Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rocket Island: Myst-like Point and Click Puzzle Game  (Read 285 times)
Calvirick
TIGBaby

ghost

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2021, 06:05:42 AM »

Hello community, I'm current developing a point and click game similar to Myst and Riven from 1993 and 1997.

Engine: Unity

Coding with: Playmaker

As shown, when you mouse click you move forward. Currently however I'm running into a few issues.

Current structure of game:

I’ve created Finite-state Machines using Playmaker on GameObjects originally instantiated as empties, which have box colliders. There’s a Main Camera set up with a 2 unit tall capsule for height reference.

The island itself is stationary, as well as the house for now.

The current goal right now is to get the point-n-click navigational system to work.

It initially started with .Boards to Bits’ tutorial video on Unity 5.

But I quickly realized that there was an alternative way in Playmaker.
Below are shots of the states set up in Playmaker.

The state machine basically is grabbing and setting the position and rotation transforms of each of the New Camera Angles (red dots) and applies it to the Main Camera after the mouse clicks the box collider.

So if you can imagine with me, when the player clicks the collider box, the child New Camera Position’s transform is copied, and then applied to the Main Camera, creating a “a blink movement”. No tween movement. This is to create the same look and appearance as did HyperCard and pre-rendered images.

Reasons I’m not building a game with pre-rendered images is this: I want to build the 3D environment right into unity, so that if camera angles or objects don’t look right, they can updated right on the fly. In the future I plan to render the graphics similar to the low quality pre-renders at the same resolution, and create sound similar to that era of compressed audio.

However, I’m running into an issue. You can’t move out of the second collider box on the right side of the house. You can you rotate the camera to the new position using the UI buttons I’ve set up (which does the same copy/applying method, but uses a different empty rotation). But after you’ve entered the 2nd collider box, it stops working. All subsequent Waypoint Playmaker state machines are Prefabs as of this game build.

I’m also not able to send you guys a test build.

Not sure what these errors mean.

If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to say so. I can also elaborate on any game details on the project so far if I didn’t covers it.

EDIT: as of writing this, I was able to navigate to another way point on the back left side of the house for some reason. I’m going to assume it’s because the cursor is click on the left side of the 1st waypoint collider but not entirely sure.

I think once this navigational system is set up, I can immediately start working on the environment and the puzzles.

Best Regards!

Calvirick

Calvirick was here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic