Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 01:38:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGameGOG #3 Competition
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GameGOG #3 Competition  (Read 1530 times)
TD Games
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »

-- Topic originally created by DeserDweller (Co-Leader of gameCog) --

Competition #03

Sponsored by:

GameCOG is proud to present its third competition!

Theme:  Explosions
Have fun interpreting this one.

[Theme is a modified suggestion of gamewizkid's]

Prizes:
First Place: $20 + Review + Front Page Showoff + Gold Badge/Award + Banner
Second Place:  Review + Front Page Showoff + Silver Badge/Award + Banner
Third Place: Review + Front Page Showoff + Bronze Badge/Award + Banner

All Participants will be shown on the front page (list), and will be awarded the Participant Award and Banner.

GameMold.com is again sponsoring our competition, offering the GameMold Choice Award of $20.

Rules:
By neglecting to follow the rules below, your game will automatically be disqualified without the need of a warning. Please make sure to take the time to read through the rules carefully.

- The game you submit to the competition must be all of your own work, or work that you own the rights to

- The game should be created within the time given and not started earlier.

- The game must be submitted before the deadline (given below).

- The game must be posted as a project on GameCOG to count.

- You may team up with another/other member(s) if you choose to do so.  If so, we will send the money to whoever makes the entry post, and any negotiations from there you will have to do on your own.

- Your game can be created in any program/tool/programming language of your choice, as long as the game can run on a Windows operating system.

- Your game must be family-friendly.  This means no excessive violence, drug references, sex, etc.  We will be the judges of what is family-friendly and what is not.  Just ask yourself if you would play the game with your grandma watching over your shoulder.  (We do realize that since the theme is Explosions games might be a tad on the violent side).

- We reserve the right to disqualify any game for any reason.  We will do our best to be reasonable in our decisions.

Deadline:
Starts: 12:00 AM GMT -6 Saturday, July 11th (That's 6:00 AM GMT Saturday)
Ends:   11:59 PM GMT -6 Saturday, August 29th (That's 5:59 AM GMT Sunday)

Your game must have been added as a project by the deadline.

Prize Money:
In the case that you win, the prize money will be sent via PayPal. If you do not have PayPal (Or cannot use someone else's Paypal account (parent/guardian/friend) ), we cannot guarantee that we will be able to send you the cash prize.

The GameMold Choice Award will also be available through PayPal.  If you happen to live in New Zealand, you also have the option of a Bank Transfer.

Judging:
Theme:         /25
Gameplay:     /25
Graphics:      /20
Plot/Design:  /15
Music:         /10
Other:         /5

Judging will be judged by Tdub311, DesertDweller, and Noel using the point system above. The game with the highest total score from the judges will win 1st place. (second highest -> 2nd place, 3rd highest -> 3rd place, etc.)

NOTE: All questions and concerns concerning this competition should be sent to DesertDweller or Tdub311.  Drazzke will be out of town for the duration of the competition, (he will be present for the actual judging) and TD Games is likely to enter the competition, so neither will be available to answer your questions.

Submitting your game:

- You must first be a registered member of GameCOG.net

- Go to the Project Submission Page, and submit your project  (This must be done before the deadline!)

- Leave a reply in this topic, with a direct link to your projects page (As must this!)

- Allow up to 48 hours for your game to appear on GameCOG (It would be a mistake on our part if this didn't happen on time, so this isn't part of the deadline)

FAQ:
May I use resources (e.g. graphics, music, or GM extensions) made by someone else in my game?
Yes, but we ask that the original authors either explicitly stated that anyone may use their work for any purpose, or that you obtain their explicit permission for this competition.

May I make my game in Flash, Squirrel, or any other programming language?
You may use any program and programming language you desire.  However, the game must be playable on the Windows operating system, and it must not require that we download some other program (aside from the standard Adobe Flash Player)  Basically, if none of the judges can play the game after taking reasonable effort attempting to do so, the game will not be judged.

Will TD Games get an unfair advantage because he's an admin?
We will do our best to make sure that all entries are judged impartially.  We do our judging via DropBox, so TD will not be able to access our judging files until the competition is over.

Why such a long period of time to hold the comp?  I liked the four week setup better!
We felt that a seven week timespan for your programming would allow those of you who want to make more developed Adventure games and RPGs the necessary time to do so.  If you would prefer the four week timespan in future comps, feel free to mention that in this topic.

I have a concern that isn't addressed here.  Who should I contact?
Either PM me or Tdub311.  Drazzke cannot guarantee that he will be available at all during this competition, (he will be judging though) and TD Games is participating. (and more importantly not judging)

Promotion:

We're hoping with $40 of prizes, a longer development timespan, and a little help from the GameCOG Community that we can get a good number of participants.  Some ways you can help us:

Announcing the comp on the Facebook group.  (Could someone else do this please?  You all know I can't...)
Putting some banners in your signatures (These will be available in the near future)
Letting people know by word of mouth text.
Entering! Tongue

Banners:

300x60

500x100

290x30

Alternative 290x30

Banners made by AndyWiltshireNZ - lead game designer for GameMold

The official GameCOG Competition 03 Flash Game:
http://gamecog.net/comp03flash/

(Send it to everybody!! Tongue )

Flash Game made by Drazzke.

List of games submitted so far (ordered by submission)
None so far

Well, we think that's about it!

Happy Game Developing!
The GameCOG People

-- Topic originally created by DeserDweller (Co-Leader of gameCog) --
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:37:05 AM by TD Games » Logged
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:20:07 AM »

I'm not sure why, but whenever a contest has cash prizes or more than one rule I automatically lose all interest in it.

It's a shame - if TIGSource had an "EXPLOSIONS" themed contest I'd be all over it.

desertdweller
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:46 AM »

I'm not sure why, but whenever a contest has cash prizes or more than one rule I automatically lose all interest in it.

It's a shame - if TIGSource had an "EXPLOSIONS" themed contest I'd be all over it.
Hmm...I must admit I think that's odd.  Do you think we won't pay the money in the end?

As for rules, we hope you guys realize that we are just covering our bases and promoting our website.  They're not that hard to follow.  Concerned

Sponsored by:
GameMold.com
TD Games
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »

if TIGSource had an "EXPLOSIONS" themed contest I'd be all over it.

Saw that coming a mile away.
Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »

Thats kind of harsh.
I think your motives to creating games for competitions lie mainly in which community is more favoured by a bigger audience, which is fair enough tbh. Oh well, we can't please every one.

If anything, just check out the community and the entrants into the competition. It will hopefully have a good turn out.
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »

Hmm. I can't think up any good ideas at all for the Adult/Educational compo, but this would probably be simpler to get an idea for. I won't be able to receive any cash prize though.

We'll see.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic