Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:54:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRound 43 - a sequel/remake of the 80's shooter Round 42
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Round 43 - a sequel/remake of the 80's shooter Round 42  (Read 501 times)
IdanG
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »

Description

The game is an unofficial sequel/remake of Round 42, an 80's PC shareware space invaders shooter type game:

the original game is unplayable on modern hardware without some kind of emulation as it was designed to work on a hacked CGA text mode allowing 16 colors.
You can find the original game on abandonware sites or play it online using DOSBox emulation sites:
https://classicreload.com/dosx-round-42.html

Gameplay

Fight waves of aliens descending from the top of the screen, increasing in speed as their numbers decrease.
Each level has its own type of aliens with different appearance and movement pattern.
Every 3 waves there is a vertical tunnel level where you must reach the exit without hitting the walls.
Besides your default ammo, you have a limited supply of auto-aim lasers and a self-destruct button allowing you to sacrifice one life to clear a level.

Development

I'm using the Godot game engine and in keeping with the spirit of the original game, I'm not using any textures so everything is going to be made out of color rectangles.
While the game will have new levels, sound and a more modern design, I'll try to keep the look and feel of the original.

I'm starting with the tunnel levels. The level is dynamically generated based on difficulty parameters such as tunnel size, turn length, angles, etc. Unlike the original game, the level has vertical scrolling, allowing a longer tunnel.

Current work in progress of the tunnel movement:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 09:55:23 AM by IdanG » Logged
IdanG
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »

Update #1

Added the first shooter level based on the original's first level but without the rapid blinking enemy colors since I don't want to trigger epileptic seizures.
Finished the shooter level logic which will apply to all shooter levels, added levels transition and basic enemy logic which will be used for all the enemies along with their own unique behavior patterns.
Added the auto-aim laser fire. Currently working on the self destruct feature and the new enemy types for the other shooter levels.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 11:20:57 AM by IdanG » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic