Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:15:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCambria - a top-down adventure game written in Python
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cambria - a top-down adventure game written in Python  (Read 708 times)
kecenr
Level 0

sound enthusiast

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2021, 09:15:25 AM »

I already made a topic specifically for the Alpha 0.2 update of Cambria, but as I looked at other people's devlogs, they seemed to have one topic for all of their updates. Thus, I will be using this topic for the rest of Cambria's updates. Looking back, the original topic was rather mediocre in terms of description of the game, so I will do a better job of explaining it here.

Cambria is a top-down adventure game written in Python and inspired by games like Terraria and Stardew Valley. It aims to be replayable, speedrunnable, all while having an engaging narrative and giving the player the freedom to do what they want with the game.

As of this first post, Cambria's Alpha 0.3 update has just been released, which you can download here: https://github.com/kecenr/Cambria-Alpha-0.3/blob/main/cambria_a03.zip

Simply download the zip, extract it, and double-click on the cambria.py file. Alternatively, if you use Linux, you can navigate to the directory of cambria.py and use the python3 cambria.py command to launch the application. I strongly encourage modding the game as I would love to see what people can come up with using Cambria's source code.

This update adds some much-needed combat. The player is given a shovel to defend themselves against the onslaught of rovers that plague most of the game's levels. There's also a new level containing a special reward for successfully defeating the rovers that stand in the player's way.

I hope you enjoy this update, and stay tuned for Alpha 0.4!

-Kit
kecenr
Level 0

sound enthusiast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 05:27:47 PM »

Since my last post, I was able to get a start on the actual town of Cambria itself as well as improve the melee combat introduced in the last update. The aforementioned combat still needs work, but it's already a lot better. I'll be revamping the chaotic medic NPC to something a lot more calm and collected than the little fiend you see running around level 4. I'm considering building a navmesh and time-based schedule for the medic similar to what you see in Stardew Valley, but that may prove to be very difficult.

The update will release once I've completed the first draft of the town and its people, polished up the combat, and added what I like to call tileswitch blocks. It's a simple feature, but it can go a long way. These are tiles that start off as one thing (for example, a block) and then change form when a condition is met (for example, the block turns into grass when all the rovers in the level are killed). It's a lot harder to code than it seems. For now, these blocks won't be available to the player (unless you're modding the game), but I might implement these with limited functionality later on.

I should have these features, and subsequently the update, ready by early August. Please note that the layout of the town is subject to immense change.

-Kit
kecenr
Level 0

sound enthusiast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 07:12:19 AM »

Cambria Update Alpha 0.4 is finally out! You can download it on my GitHub page which will be linked below. PyGame is required to execute the game, so keep that in mind. The executable file is appropriately named cambria. The changelog is in the README if you wish to read it.

GitHub page:
https://github.com/kecenr/Cambria-Alpha-0.4/blob/main/cambria_a04.zip

-Kit
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic