Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:31:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Ugly-Awesome Game Graphics
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Ugly-Awesome Game Graphics  (Read 32252 times)
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: October 13, 2008, 04:26:06 AM »

Oh to be back in the days when the computer world was discovering the capabilities of coloured lighting

Haha yeah... One of Id's level designers wrote an article in Game Developer at the time. He joyfully explained that "in a yellow environment you can highlight important parts by placing a magenta or cyan light above it" (not exact quote, I'll try to find the article one day, it's hilarious)  Beer!

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 13, 2008, 06:01:53 AM »

And yes, that tattoo is totally your health meter.
Dear god I LOVED that game

I love the Something Awful walkthrough this game. That man has a incredible voice, but it also tells so much about the game, some of the coding (lack of) style, and why it was so hard.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2008, 08:39:42 AM »

MechWarrior 2 and Shadow Madness. The former looking better or worse depending on which version of the game you had (And which card) the latter just bein' down right ugly, even if it had a good story. It also had some undying love for neon green...
Now we can't go posting every picture of every attempt to execute 3D graphics in their infancy. maybe someone should put up Tie Fighter, or Prince of Persia 3D (shudder). Those 3D calculations were done by hand, on an abacus, by indentured children in Korea and delivered to your CPU by carrier pigeon. No 3D acceleration here.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic