Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:49:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[update 2] BATTLECASTER - Top Down Arena Roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [update 2] BATTLECASTER - Top Down Arena Roguelike  (Read 1009 times)
Grim604
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »

BATTLECASTER

Battlecaster is a top-down arena roguelike where you need to use your abilities carefully and develop mastery over your enemies to overcome challenging encounters.

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Try it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

VIDEO: https://streamable.com/42vg74

Download link removed in preparation for actual release
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1355770/Battlecaster/

Because no tutorial or instructions have been added yet, here are a few tips

- Most of your spells cause enemies to drop healing globes

- Your spell "gems" regenerate when you damage enemies. Gems can't regenerate for 3 seconds after being used

- The game is made to reward player aggression, try to always be hitting something, running away generally makes the game more difficult

- The game currently ends at wave 12

Controls
Mouse 1: Melee (light)
Mouse 2: Melee (heavy)
Q: Ability 1
E: Ability 2
R: Ability 3
F: Ability 4

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 06:49:59 PM by Grim604 » Logged
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 05:19:53 AM »

Hi Grim604,

I can't seem to select any of the levels at the level select screen, not even level 1. I can click on the exit button at the bottom right, but that's about it. I'm not really sure what the problem is, could be that I've missed something really simple? In any case, I can't launch any levels to play the game. It's a shame as I like the ominous red demon looking thing in the background, and the provided screenshots look cool. I'm running a GTX 1650/8GB RAM/core i5.

Hope some of this helps.
Grim604
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 04:28:37 PM »

Hi Grim604,

I can't seem to select any of the levels at the level select screen, not even level 1. I can click on the exit button at the bottom right, but that's about it. I'm not really sure what the problem is, could be that I've missed something really simple? In any case, I can't launch any levels to play the game. It's a shame as I like the ominous red demon looking thing in the background, and the provided screenshots look cool. I'm running a GTX 1650/8GB RAM/core i5.

Hope some of this helps.

Hi Piaworthy, thank you for the report! This should be fixed in the latest build v0.3.3. Let me know if the issue persists or if anything else comes up.

Download
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 04:33:22 AM »

Hi Grim604,

The level select works for me now, I can boot up levels properly, and the menu looks a lot better too!

Some small things that I noticed. The attack sound effects for the player could use some variation, and could probably sound more 'meaty'. Also, when the player gets hit there could be more of a visual effect besides just the health bar depleting to emphasise the action.

Another thing I noticed was that it looks a bit odd being able to run off the arena and into total blackness. Maybe increase the size of the arena, or adjust the limits to how far the player can travel?

Gameplay wise, there was a real difficulty spike on level two, specifically when the extra enemies spawn in. Maybe this was deliberate?

One more thing, are you thinking of adding music? It would feel way more intense with a good soundtrack!

Hope some of this helps!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 06:14:26 PM »

Hey Grim604,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

Grim604
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 12:34:45 AM »

Hi Grim604,

The level select works for me now, I can boot up levels properly, and the menu looks a lot better too!

Some small things that I noticed. The attack sound effects for the player could use some variation, and could probably sound more 'meaty'. Also, when the player gets hit there could be more of a visual effect besides just the health bar depleting to emphasise the action.

Another thing I noticed was that it looks a bit odd being able to run off the arena and into total blackness. Maybe increase the size of the arena, or adjust the limits to how far the player can travel?

Gameplay wise, there was a real difficulty spike on level two, specifically when the extra enemies spawn in. Maybe this was deliberate?

One more thing, are you thinking of adding music? It would feel way more intense with a good soundtrack!

Hope some of this helps!

Hi Piaworthy, thanks for the feedback. The attack sounds should definitely be more satisfying, and music is a must. Though sound design isn't a main focus right now, it will be soon. Smiley

Regarding difficulty: its been smoothed out to a much more reasonable pace now. There's still some difficulty hikes in there but the previous version you played was for sure too drastic.

Hey Grim604,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

Hey JBarrios, thanks for the video, super helpful! Love how you voice out your thoughts while you play. I noticed the difficulty curve in your playthrough was super drastic, like Piaworthy also mentioned. It's been smoothed out now.

About your suggestion to possibly reduce total health, I'm not sure it would work well later into the game. As you progress through, the encounters will ramp up to be quite chaotic and messy with many enemies on the board. I think lower health may make the game too challenging, even if all enemy attacks were telegraphed very distinctly. Ideally, I'd like health to be treated like a resource, where you can let yourself get hit a few times in exchange for getting some damage in on enemies. Then you heal yourself using your abilities which you've recharged by dealing damage.

At 9:05 you said something is frustrating but your mic cuts out, could you let me know what you were saying?

Grim604
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 01:13:50 AM »

Update 1

Download

- New level select UI

- Added an arena boundary effect

- Added music and volume sliders
- Added many new sounds. Various spell sounds, hit impacts, enemy grunts, etc added. Most are placeholder.
- Added 13 more stages/encounters to beat.
- 3 stages are "Challenge" stages, designed to be difficult tests for experienced players.
- Smoothed the difficulty curve greatly.
- 3 new enemy types.
- Added easy mode, reducing AI attack frequency.
- Added a trinket rewarded after beating the Intro levels.
- Many other changes and fixes.

Next update likely to be centered around combat feel, and giving the current levels some personality aesthetically.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:24:59 AM by Grim604 » Logged
Grim604
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 07:38:29 PM »

Update 2 has been released, try it out and give your thoughts. Download link in the original post
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic