Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1395472 Posts in 67266 Topics- by 60349 Members - Latest Member: Kasmilus

September 25, 2021, 02:23:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Punchy Face | roguelite beat 'em up | everything is a weapon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Punchy Face | roguelite beat 'em up | everything is a weapon  (Read 589 times)
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »

Save your uncle's dojo from getting demolished in Super Punchy Face, a roguelite beat em up where everything is a weapon!

Features:

Everything is a weapon - From beanbag chairs to ping-pong paddles, mop buckets to candy boxes, everything can be swung, thrown, kicked, and more to defeat your enemies.

Custom fighting styles - Choose from dozens of techniques to create your unique fighting style. No boring stat boosts, these upgrades augment the mechanics or introduce new ones to make for a unique play experience.

Sandbox gameplay -  A combination of simple verbs, procedurally generated levels, light use of physics and a wide array of character states provide a depth not seen in other beat 'em ups. Players are encouraged to experiment with the overlapping systems.

Beat 'em up + Roguelite - A modern take on classic beat 'em up combat that blends physics and clever opponents with procedurally generated levels to ensure it will never stop surprising you with slapstick gameplay.

Heartwarming story - Control titular hero Punchy as they and their uncle stand up to the evil landlord and embark on a wholesome quest to save their community center from being demolished.

Download the alpha here!

Help us reach its full potential!

Structurally similar to games like Nuclear Throne - randomly generated levels filled with baddies for you to beat up, choose new techniques between levels to upgrade your character, takes about 30 minutes to beat a run. There's a big emphasis on emergent situations, and its designed for you to feel like the underdog.

Aesthetically, we are going for a lighthearted '90s kids action movie kind of vibe. Think Power Rangers, or Three Ninjas.

Using GameMaker Studio 1.4 still...

---

I started this game as a passion project in 2014 to make a Jackie Chan inspired beat em up. It's been a long road with lots of ups and downs, but everything is finally starting to come together. I've actually been posting in the playtest forum for a long time and I figured I'm basically using it like a devlog anyway, so here we are!

We're currently in alpha, and will probably be launching through early access or starting a kickstarter soon to try and get funds to work on the game full time. The gameplay in the demo is already pretty far along, what we are missing the most is art, music and sound. We still have lots of plans to make the combat more intricate though, with tons of unique weapons and obstacles and a whole slew of new techniques.

Here's a couple mockups of later levels:

City Hall - the second area

The Mansion - the final area, home of the Landlord

Thanks for checking it out! I hope you enjoy it!!
- Drew
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:57:47 AM by 8Points » Logged
UnemployedVillain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:18:53 PM »

I love everything about this. The sprite work, the fighting system, and the fact that I don't think I've even seen a roguelite beat em up before!
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 11:23:48 AM »

<3 <3 <3 Thanks you!! I'm pretty surprised there still hasn't been a genre mash up like this yet too.
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 05:39:28 AM »

Got a new build live!! This update has a bunch of bug fixes and balance changes. Some little, some HUGE...

The biggest change is what happens when the player get's KO'd; When the player loses all their hp, they get 'knocked out'. But instead of getting a game over, I give them another chance! They stand up, with reduced health, and get to try again. However, enemies that they've defeated ALSO get back up, again with reduced health. If the player gets knocked out again after that, its game over.

Now, my intention is for this system to be more forgiving than other roguelikes where you die once and that's it, but also to emphasize the non-lethal aspect of combat, demonstrating that even if you or an enemy gets beaten no one is seriously hurt. But I've had a bunch of players describe it as feeling like a double punishment - you just got your ass kicked, now I expect you to beat everyone again but with less health?? Well, sure, you're supposed to feel like an underdog and overcome impossible odds! But rather than inspire hope and confidence, players feel like it's a brutal insult to injury.

I'm toying with a few ways to solve this, but in this update I'm trying out the most straight-forward approach - any destroyed items respawn when you and the enemies get back up. The point of this game is to use the environment to your advantage, so it makes sense that if you break everything the first time you fight through a level, getting back up and having to fight everyone again without all the items won't be nearly as easy.

This may not be a permanent solution! I have a few problems with it; Mainly, it doesn't make sense in-world for everything to magically fix itself. Beyond that, respawning items might make it too easy, seeing as enemies already have reduced health. I do want it to feel like an opportunity to step your game up, rather than a simple retry.

There are a number of other less dramatic but equally important changes too - thrown items work properly (you can actually block them now), enemies won't throw things at you from off screen, Pin is automatic and has a new placeholder sprite, fixed some crashes, and I -tried- to fix the late-game lag some players experience on not-super-powerful PCs. Almost definitely needs some more work though...

I think the gameplay is in a good state for now - I think the next update will play around with level generation since I got those mockup assets finally :D
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 11:58:55 AM »

We live on kickstarter!!!!! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8points/super-punchy-face

Also new build is up on itch.io

Annnnnd more soon??
Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 05:33:24 AM »

Wow!!!!!!!!! This really looks awesome and well done! Like ... beat em up...rogueli(t/k)e....and the art!!!!!!! Nice job. Maybe it should have more screenshots in your different posts of it in its different states (all messy and all clean) to get more people attracted (or just boost my curiosity Tongue ).

Is there permadeath. is that why you call it roguelite or just because of no turn based stuff.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 04:34:30 PM by Gunroar:Cannon() » Logged

Why can't pirates code in lua? Because they spend to much time at C!

-How to be saved
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »

Hey thanks!!! There's permadeath but you can find new techniques to use from the start of new runs, and the final game will have challenges that unlock more techniques to add to the pool, so it has a bit of that rogueLITE meta-progression. But to be honest, I've bumped heads with too many gatekeeping the term "roguelike" so I just stay away from it lol

And that's a good point about the screenshots...
8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 12:14:42 PM »

A short history of Super Punchy Face

Ever since I started teaching myself GameMaker Studio, this is the game I've been trying to make. Though, not even because it was a fully formed idea I really wanted to execute. I see this as the culmination of 7+ years of throwing together what felt right, when it felt right. And I'm really proud of how it's all coming together!

Here's my first shot at a combat system

I remember I wanted to make some kind of melee based action game, but not having much more of an idea than that.

And here's the original "Punchy Face"

Definitely lacking that "super" quality. This was post Flappy Bird, and I came up with title in like 3 seconds just to name the file. Years later, and I still never came up with anything better haha...

A couple months later, I watched

It inspired me to make the first "Super Punchy Face"

Programmer art, babyyy

It was in this stage that the game really started to become what it is today, and I fell in love with it. I started working on it whenever I had spare time. All of my friends knew I was working on something called Super Punchy Face. It became a real part of my identity.
The combat was all there: hand to hand, dodging, parrying, light and heavy attacks, picking up bottle and bricks and swinging or throwing them, knocking bigger objects into enemies, the enemies being able to interact with the environment too and also hit each other. But let's face it - this looks like shit.

So after a couple years, Punchy was lookin hot.

Still not the best, but at least it looked coherent. It was here that I found Tom Francis' GameMaker tutorial series and it helped me wrap my head around random generation, which gave me a good excuse to not design real levels made me realize that something like Nuclear Throne would be a fantastic structure for my beat em up. I liked the gameplay a lot, but I still needed a stronger art style.

That's when I took a good look at what Punchy had become. Fast pace, hand to hand, focus on improvisation and fighting with odds against you, lots of boring objects to use as weapons... I'd been aping my favorite kung-fu star's whole thing without even realizing it.
I fucking love Jackie Chan movies. To be clear, the man himself is p r o b l e m a t i c , but I love his movies. I knew I needed to draw on some retro vibes to fit the gameplay.

But, you know, programmer art.

Even though I wasn't a great artist, I knew this was the style I wanted. And so eventually I sat down and really tried to make good art.

Super Punchy Face is dead. Long live Super Punchy Face.

While it still wasn't the best, this new art style focused the whole project. Everything started feeling right. I took it as far as I could alone..

Then in 2018, I teamed up with some folks from here to make Eves Drop. And we had so much fun that I convinced them to help me take on Super Punchy Face!
The difference is night and day.

It's so weird to look back and see how the core game really hasn't changed all that much over the years even though it looks so different.

I still have a bunch of these old builds up on my itch.io page if you wanna feel them for yourself. Thanks for coming on this nostalgia trip with me! I'm so proud of my team and everything we've accomplished so far!!!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic