Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:50:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFRIGID demo needs feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FRIGID demo needs feedback  (Read 818 times)
OLAF
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2021, 12:20:46 PM »

Hello, my name is Olaf, I would like to introduce FRIGID. We have a demo on the steam store, would like feedback.

Game: FRIGID - Hunt, build, craft and survive an apocalyptic arctic environment and unravel the mystery of a strange virus that is infecting the local wildlife. Inspired by The Thing!

Pictures

Gameplay - SURVIVAL MECHANICS/CRAFTING
Scavenge anything you can find to aid your survival. Use your creativity to put together and Craft unique items tailored to the brutal arctic environment and Build tools, weapons, and navigate, hunt, and provide protection against these challenging temperatures.

Feedback wanted:
What is your first impressions of the demo?
Is the game fun in game play?
What do you think should be added to the demo for a survival game so it would create users to wish list the game, examples, more wildlife AI, introduce characters, more story, weather effects.  What ever is on your mind i would like to hear from you. Thanks again for any help.

Demo link : https://store.steampowered.com/app/905540/FRIGID/
You can also get a lot more from the play test if you request, we usually accept people in a day.

Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 02:10:52 AM »

Hi Olaf,

I like the visuals of this game, and the sound design is great- very atmospheric. I found a few bugs and things that could be adjusted.

The first thing that stood out was that I couldn't select and adjust changes in the options menu (graphics etc.) when using an Xbox One controller.

Also, the Xbox One controller couldn't close the pop-up menu that greets you upon first loading in to the map.

Another weird thing was that, when changing between keyboard and mouse and controller, I lost the ability to move the camera with the right stick on the Xbox One controller, so I ended up sticking with keyboard and mouse.

The graphics menu was a bit buggy - at one point it reset my settings to default for no apparent reason. I can't tell what could have caused that.

The 'You Died' game over is really abrupt, my character didn't fall down, or make any noise. There were no sound effects. It was a bit jarring.

Setting up a camp fire was quite unintuitive, though this could be me being really dumb.

In general, I found menus to be hard to understand, though I imagine with time I'd get used to them.

Overall it was quite an intense and atmospheric experience, and as I've already said, the sound design really is good. I hope some of the bugs/issues I've flagged help in some way!

OLAF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:14:09 AM »

Hi Olaf,

I like the visuals of this game, and the sound design is great- very atmospheric. I found a few bugs and things that could be adjusted.

The first thing that stood out was that I couldn't select and adjust changes in the options menu (graphics etc.) when using an Xbox One controller.

Also, the Xbox One controller couldn't close the pop-up menu that greets you upon first loading in to the map.

Another weird thing was that, when changing between keyboard and mouse and controller, I lost the ability to move the camera with the right stick on the Xbox One controller, so I ended up sticking with keyboard and mouse.

The graphics menu was a bit buggy - at one point it reset my settings to default for no apparent reason. I can't tell what could have caused that.

The 'You Died' game over is really abrupt, my character didn't fall down, or make any noise. There were no sound effects. It was a bit jarring.

Setting up a camp fire was quite unintuitive, though this could be me being really dumb.

In general, I found menus to be hard to understand, though I imagine with time I'd get used to them.

Overall it was quite an intense and atmospheric experience, and as I've already said, the sound design really is good. I hope some of the bugs/issues I've flagged help in some way!

Thanks for the feedback i really appreciate this. Most of the issues you mentioned are because we don't have support for controller yet. We plan to add controller support in the future.  I think we need a conformation window for accepting different setting in the graphics menu, this should help. About dying, there should have been voice saying your thirsty, hungry or freezing before the player dies and it repeats. Are you saying you didn't hear this? The idea of making a animation on death and death noise is pretty cool, i will look into it.  As for the fire we made it very easy all you have to do is put one item in the fire and ignite. I will look at the menus see what i can do.  Thanks again for the feedback, its very nice to find out all these new bugs i missed. Did you try the demo or beta?
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »

Hi Olaf,

Ah, that explains it, I had just assumed the controller was supported. Glad to hear it will be implemented. Yeah, there was a voice, the character was occasionally saying he was freezing, indicating that I needed to find warmth. I was specifically talking about the exact moment the player dies, there is no visual/audio representation of what happened, besides the text box. It might make it more immersive to change that.

I really don't know why I found the menu so confusing, but it seemed that I could either craft a camp fire, or ignite the existing one in front of me - the process seemed unintuitive either way. This might purely be me being dumb.

I tried the demo on Steam, and the game ran quite well on my laptop (GTX 1650, core i5/8GB RAM). I thought the visuals  depicted a snowy, freezing environment really well.

Hope this helps! 
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 09:43:59 AM »

The camp fire was probably more of an issue using the controller, which may explain why I couldn't ignite it easily? I'll try it again with keyboard and mouse!
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »

I have just tried to light the bonfire again, and I think my issue was that I misunderstood the tutorial prompt. When it said matches were required, I took that to mean that the matches would have to be dragged into one of the boxes, alongside the paper or wood. But putting the matches into any of the boxes prevented the fire from igniting at all. So I simply misunderstood the prompt, my bad!
OLAF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 09:50:32 AM »

I have just tried to light the bonfire again, and I think my issue was that I misunderstood the tutorial prompt. When it said matches were required, I took that to mean that the matches would have to be dragged into one of the boxes, alongside the paper or wood. But putting the matches into any of the boxes prevented the fire from igniting at all. So I simply misunderstood the prompt, my bad!
Yes the fire does not not need matches, as long as they are in the inventory you can ignite the fires with one item for fuel(paper, gas, wood).  Thanks for the find with the fire not igniting when its put into the fire.

Do you like the theme of the survival game, for example do you like the infection backstory, did you feel this in the game?

Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2021, 04:32:26 AM »

Hi Olaf,

I think I understand some of the backstory, am I right in thinking that climate change has essentially frozen the whole world? And on top of that, a strange, infected specimen has been discovered in the ice. The local animals are infected with some virus that they are transmitting to humans? I think perhaps it may be useful to enable subtitles during cutscenes, as the opening cutscene featured a lady speaking, but I couldn't hear what she was saying over the ambient sound effects, so I'm not sure if I had all the relevant information delivered to me.

Other than that, the premise is intriguing. I particularly like the codename 'apocalypsis'. I feel some of the notes scattered around in houses could feel more natural. For example, the house with the dead couple in the bed. Their note didn't seem very natural, it felt like exposition, not like something people would actually write and leave next to their bed. Perhaps the game could walk a finer line between exposition and natural human expression?

Hope some of this helps. I enjoyed what I played.
OLAF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 04:06:09 PM »

Hi Olaf,

I think I understand some of the backstory, am I right in thinking that climate change has essentially frozen the whole world? And on top of that, a strange, infected specimen has been discovered in the ice. The local animals are infected with some virus that they are transmitting to humans? I think perhaps it may be useful to enable subtitles during cutscenes, as the opening cutscene featured a lady speaking, but I couldn't hear what she was saying over the ambient sound effects, so I'm not sure if I had all the relevant information delivered to me.

Other than that, the premise is intriguing. I particularly like the codename 'apocalypsis'. I feel some of the notes scattered around in houses could feel more natural. For example, the house with the dead couple in the bed. Their note didn't seem very natural, it felt like exposition, not like something people would actually write and leave next to their bed. Perhaps the game could walk a finer line between exposition and natural human expression?

Hope some of this helps. I enjoyed what I played.
Looks like you understood the story.  We will add sub titles in the cut scenes.  We are not writers so we are thinking about going with fiver to get better writing.  Thanks so much for all the help, this will help a lot.
Piaworthy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 04:06:53 AM »

No problem, glad to help. If you'd like I could help with some of the writing? No worries if not. Good luck with the game!
OLAF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 08:50:13 AM »

No problem, glad to help. If you'd like I could help with some of the writing? No worries if not. Good luck with the game!
Thanks for offering help with the writing, we already have someone who will help. Thanks again  Smiley
OLAF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 08:54:58 AM »

Quote from: (deleted user)
Hi OLAF. Nice game, my congratulations, I love it. Honestly, the game needs some improvements, but basically, the game idea is good.
Thanks for great comments. What would you like to see improved in the game? Have you tried the beta or demo? Smiley
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:46:35 AM by ThemsAllTook » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic