Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:11:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)//
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: //  (Read 3652 times)
armyturtle
//
« on: August 08, 2021, 07:13:37 PM »

//
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:45:30 AM by armyturtle » Logged
Feenicks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 08:00:21 AM »

I feel that certain styles of art lend themselves better to limited animation; either small sprites or large, motion comics/animatics. The sprite there, though, lands awkwardly in the middle, too big to get away with the amount of frames it's using and too small to take advantage of techniques [camera pans, zooms, etc.] that let motion comics punch above their weight.

Ultimately, though, I feel it's a false dichotomy. Good animation is all about making the most of relatively few frames of animation. Look at the GBA Fire Emblem games for instance; yes, they may be known for their animations, but remarkably few frames are used for actual attacks. Animation smears, easing in and out of fast movement, and whatever effects that can modify sprites without the need to draw new ones go a long way to imply animation when there really isn't any.

If you're adamant on this style, at least add in some easing in and out of the various poses, even if it's just moving the arms/legs a pixel or two in the direction of the implied movement. I get where you're coming from, but at this point you've past the point of letting the viewer fill in the blanks and are at the point where they're thinking it's just unfinished.

armyturtle
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 11:00:41 AM »

//
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:44:53 AM by armyturtle » Logged
armyturtle
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 05:09:46 AM »

//
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:45:02 AM by armyturtle » Logged
Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 12:38:16 AM »

Hi,

To add the 2 cents of a non-artist, I like the last video, the only thing bothering me is that we're switching between parts with lots of frames (like between 16 and 22 seconds) and parts with very few frames. It creates a weird feeling where we come to expect the next part that will have fluid animation, instead of just enjoying the animation as it is. The second video was maybe better balanced.

I agree with Feenicks in that I think this animation style would better fit slightly lower-definition characters.

armyturtle
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 01:28:20 AM »

//
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 09:45:18 AM by armyturtle » Logged
Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 02:50:14 AM »

I was rather suggesting the opposite (remove the "fluid" parts to keep the animation quality consistent). For example, do we really need 5 separate frames for the jump?

But yeah, aiming to add proper syncing with music on top of that is pretty ambitious :p

wolfsden
Level 0

Wolfsden logo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 09:47:31 AM »

IMO as with anything... it depends.

If it's a hyper-realistic drawing/CG, then using fewer frames would look really odd.

If it's an 8bit sprite, then yeah, the mind can do wonders and fill in the blanks as you say, and going overboard with the animation might just be overkill.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic