Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:47:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAstronomy Golf - Play golf in space!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Astronomy Golf - Play golf in space!  (Read 726 times)
levogames
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »

Hi All,

Been working on this for a while and thought I would post and get some feedback on what you all think.

https://levogames.itch.io/astrogolf

It's a casual astronomy golf game that involves teeing off by drawing back the club and using gravity/physics to guide your ball to the flag in the least number of strokes.

I'm looking at adding some extra objects (black holes, neutron stars,  etc.) - but would love your feedback Smiley

DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »

Oh yes, more games in space. xD And a cool idea too actually: I don't enjoy golf but I did like this interplanetary version of it. :D (edit: wait a second... did you steal this from Futurama... xD) The trajectories are cool to watch. I actually might give this another try later. Smiley)

I do have two notes tho...
1) It's kinda weird that I can stop the ball to make another shot basically whenever I want. If I remember correctly, this is not how golf works. xD Definitely felt like cheating. Tongue I get that there are often times when the ball just doesnt stop, or at least its taking seemingly forever to stop going left right round half the planet - you might want to look into that anyway, because when it lands on a planet and I leave it unattended, I would expect it to stop, sooner than later actually. (Is friction missing or smthng?)

2) Just a little bug: when I click as if I wanted to make a shot, but I click on the ball itself, and I only make a click so there is like no "force meter" visible, the game kicks me back into the main menu. Tongue I can go back in the game and either play as Im supposed to, or just click the ball again to get kicked again (worked like this around 70% of times (= sometimes it needed more clicks to be moved back to menu)).

Besides that it looks pretty fine. Smiley I like it!

Edit: im not sure if "astronomy golf" is a proper name for this. "Astrogolf" is fine, because "astro-" means "related to stars". But "Astro-nomy" is basically a study of cosmology, which makes me kinda expect something almost educational, or very much about constellations and, well, cosmos itself, however in this game "cosmos" really just serves to explain the low gravity and presence of "big balls" (btw the "little ball" is probably several kilometers in diameter, if you think about it? so it's probably not a very "realistic cosmos" either?). Maybe stick with Astrogolf, or call it "Golf In Space" (you probably wont use that one and I dont blame you, but just a note: there is nothing wrong about a name being self-explanatory! Wink). You know, to keep it simple. Tongue Wink

Good luck. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:31:00 PM by DarkGran » Logged
Dreadpon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 06:01:08 AM »

Well, that's some solid 'true and tried' concept you've got there. People are used to it, buuut if you manage to make them interested, they'll almost always enjoy it.

Could use some quality of life improvements, like more responsive camera and zoom in/zoom out.

Physics felt fine, but the gameplay felt basic. Definetly needs some variety and polish.

Aaaand graphics will most likely be very important in creating the game appeal. So something beautiful, space-ey, shining and breathtaking. Y'know.
palitodepan
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 10:53:27 AM »

Hitting the ball around space was fun, and I liked the background.  It felt weird having other planet's gravity affect you so much on the surface of another planet... I would have preferred if within ~10m of the planet's surface it is just affected by local gravity of the planet and settled on the surface without bouncing around so much.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 06:23:11 AM »

I played this on mobile: kudos on getting it to run on a phone properly.

The problem is that as you pull back the camera is still fixed so you can't properly wind up past the edge of the screen. As a result I wound up shooting the ball out of the orbit of the planets and into another off-screen dimension. There needs to be an auto reset if that happens rather than just running the sim.

Graphics need a lick of paint imo.

I would love to see some clever score systems for this project, like bouncing off planets gives you a bonus to your final score, complicated shots get a bonus.

Plus you could add a meta game (Every level you beat you get zoot(tm) for building new bits of a space station or something.)

Fertile concept with a lot of room to make something really good.

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 08:42:01 AM »

Hi Levogames,

I played your game and recorded it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic