Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:54:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting If You win … You lose !
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: If You win … You lose !  (Read 3056 times)
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2021, 10:28:32 PM »

I-Presentation of the game :

This game is a metroid like 2d , a pure platform adventure game, and a die and retry galore :

Unlike most other platform games which are more of the action platform genre or not difficult enough , in this game you control so vulnerable character without any power or protection abilities, or a scratch of an obstacle or trap or enemy means immediate failure.

In fact the game tells the story of a stranger involved in spite of himself in a great dilemma and a great planetary danger , and to make matters worse , he is constantly in a race against time and short of means to solve in time the riddle of this adventure.

If you accept the challenge, would you be able to win the game, really ?

Have fun and especially no flying controllers please ...

II-game characteristics :

- metroid like 2d

- pure adventure platform game

-die and retry

-5 parts and 4 powers

- quite difficult game

-several choices to make,

-and a challenge to meet.

Copyright 2021

III- Recommended configuration :

Windows 8.1 or Windows 10

Intel i7 4510 U, equivalent or better

Ge force 850 m, equivalent or greater

Which supports direct x 11 or 12,

500 MB of free hard disk space.

-Partial controller support

-language of the game Fr / En

-genders :

- metroid like 2d

- pure adventure platform game

-die and retry .

copyright 2021

for more information (trailer, video etc) and for download temporarly free game please visit this itch.io page:
https://bioshok.itch.io/ifyouwinyoulose

https://bioshok.itch.io/ifyouwinyoulose
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 03:18:43 PM »

your trailer is cut wrong:

Its WAY too slow for how little information is being conveyed. I'm not even saying you gotta lead with gameplay, I sometimes like a narrative trailer, but this one is very boring.

Also your art style needs a ton of work, you could post in the art section to get some help on how to make your background images less grating if you are willing to take some honest critique.

It needs a lot of work, not sure what the bizaro "if you win you lose" means in terms of the game, is it a narrative thing, like as you get to the end of the game you realize you are the bad guy? That's a pretty common trope these days mr... oh right mr. Bioshok. SMH.

Warning: violence

Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 09:10:30 AM »

Hello...First of all I wanted to thank you for you feedback !

I am currently working on improving the trailer and the design
The title reflects a riddle because you have to find the real end of the game ...

All your remarks will be taken into consideration. Don't forget to share the game with your friends to get as much feedback as possible!

ps : For the nickname, I chose randomly without paying attention  No No NO

ps 2 : An improved and updated version will be available soon Wink

Best regards
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 12:27:39 PM »

I think the cat character you did as the MC is the strongest bit with the articulated legs and arms. With just a day of work on the BG you could make your game look 10 times better imo.

Good luck!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 01:02:54 PM »

Hi Bioshk,

I played your game.  I wasn't able to get very far in the game.

I went to the left and the floor was covered with spikes.  Too long to jump over.

To the right I climbed the platforms, held sprint, and jumped and I couldn't clear the spikes on the floor.

The game told me to press "X" or "B" on my xbox controller, but I was using a keyboard.
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 11:35:08 PM »

Good morning ,

First of all, I strongly recommend that you drop the latest version of the game that you already have in hand and download and try the latest version of the game.

"If you win ... you loose! V1.01" .7z that I updated earlier, because in this new version I fixed a major disabling and repulsive defect, namely that a reset after each failure takes forever.

Please give all your opinions, suggestions, advice, feedback after testing the new version of the game completely, and please give me all the lists of errors, faults, bugs and weak points that you will find in this version. Thank you very much.

Note: The game is still temporarily free until September 8, 2021 8:00 am pt (that means temporarily free again for 11 days more or less) after this date, the game becomes paid again).

At the end, here is the list of tips and secrets for those stuck in the game:

-To know or modify the keyboard keys of the game or to see how it corresponds to gamepad buttons, go to options then command options from the main menu.

-First obstacle: see my first youtube video on my other game "escape the wormhole". It's the same passage!

Otherwise: to make the longest jump: pass the platform on which you are on and then starting to fall in the air press the jump button without releasing the run button and the direction of the jump

- Collect objects only once in a game, even after a failure (key, score piece, potion, power) on the other hand, you lose your achievements and your progress when leaving the game without having saved them at the chekpoint (flag).

The objects already obtained apart from the keys and the powers reappear in their place after leaving the game, even after saving, useful for example to be able to increase statistics such as score at a lower cost),

-save flags consuming a score piece of your score (decrease in score by 1 point is proof of saving) score 0 no save and sometimes you have to go through the flag twice to save

- pay attention to secret passages which hide deadly traps, on the contrary there are false deadly traps which hide bonuses

- with each use of a power the number of lives decreases

-at each exit from the game, the player loses a life

-the saving capacity is disabled for 10 seconds after each last save or reload (check score to see if the save has been taken into account)

-the shortest passage to finish the game quickly is to always go to the top right when you still have no power, the other two passages (bottom right or top left) are mainly to finish the game is 100%

- each potion adds one to the characteristic of the same color and decreases one of the characteristics of the other colors, for example the yellow potion increases the score by 1, and decreases by a number of lives and by 5 minutes the time remaining to complete the Game

-the player has two gauge, 1 of lifespan which always drops gradually with time and which must be taken in this case green potion to restore it and mobility gauge immobility or it is necessary to keep roughly the balance between the 2, otherwise it's a failure

-There are two endings, one classic, the other one must reach the end with at least 1800 score

- the rotation allows the wall

-sometimes each successive passage through the same portal leads to another different portal

-at 0 life to know at the over range you lose the save and you have to start over from the beginning

- same thing switch, certain predefined groups activate deactivate block or unlock trap mechanism objects or converts certain objects or traps into static or dynamic into permeable or not with their opposite groups of platforms to 1 which make the opposite state, there is several switch groups at 0 or their complement to 1 same rotation thing

-Some switches require a passage last to have their effects

- try to press x button on xbox controller or keyboard space during menus to see ...

when you always go to the top right as suggested before during the first part, try not to drop the maximum,

otherwise at each fall from a height:

no need to go back to the starting point from below, it is very contraindicated,

instead going back to the main menus and reloading the game is the safest, fastest and easiest way to continue the game from the last save,

instead of waiting indefinitely to fail to start over,

thank you very much and good day.

Cordially ..
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 09:47:22 AM »

Based on what I've seen of the game, screenshots/trailer I don't think this is ready to be sold to anyone.

Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 09:50:23 PM »

Hi michaelplzno,

I wanted to know pleae why in your opinion, you don't think this is ready to be sold to anyone, especially for the game itself,

Please I need to know everything in detail and with precision to fix everything, especially about the game because I really play my future and my life on it,

and why you changed your mind so much before you tried the game you optimistic about the game, why all of a sudden you got so pessimistic,

Thank you very much and have a good day.

Regards.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 10:29:52 PM »

To be clear: I have not played the game, nor will I considering there is no evidence that the game has any fun in it at all from the material here. In addition, I was not particularly optimistic about your game, though you may feel that I thought the game was good, I never said that. In fact, if you go back and read my first comment about your game, you will see  that it starts off by saying your trailer is bad and your art needs a ton of work. So I don't know how you thought I was optimistic about your game, though I hope it becomes something better I think it needs AGAIN "A ton of work"

For all I know the game has proper graphics, mechanics and so on, and looks completely different from your trailer and screenshots. If so, your game is still not ready for sale because the presentation of the assets about what your game is are not correct.

However, to restate, reiterate, and rehash: your current screens look bad, your trailer is also flatly bad and the game needs a ton of work, or at least your sales pitch does.

Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 10:05:29 PM »

Major annoncement :

Hello everybody ,

a new version of the game is available today on the itch.io page of the game "If you win ... you lose!" "

here are the novelties:

-the level recharge after each failure has become almost instantaneous

-game loading has been reduced to more than half of its usual duration

-the game is much smoother (more fps)

-you can now start the game on any recent modest PC, which means even with an integrated graphics card, for example unlike before where you needed an nvidia 850 m for the recommended configuration

-the game has been significantly optimized on several points compared to before

-Several bugs and faults of the game have been corrected both in terms of programming or level design thanks to this the game is currently well playable in principle from start to finish (do not hesitate to report bugs if there are any in the new version of the game, you never know)

Another piece of news the game is getting completely free for it and my other itch.io project "escape the wormhole" and this definitely.

Regarding the rest of the correction and improvement, especially graphics to come, I do not promise you anything for the moment, but it will probably come gradually according to my availability (because I have several other projects to do alongside between time), I don't know when.

On this good day, have a good weekend and a happy new year everyone in advance.

Cordially .
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:22:16 PM by Bioshk » Logged
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »

Major update, v 0.2a available now

Hello everybody, Grin

Please excuse me for the deplorable quality of the game since the release of the game last week. Angry

This is all in the past, please download the brand new version of the game available now as follows:

-Uninstall the old version of the game (and especially do not delete the save game files)

-Then in the Steam app settings clear the download history.

-If all goes well, the Steam application will come back up and you can immediately download the new version of the game.

Nb Maj:

I fixed almost the majority of the glitches and bugs in the game. Roll Eyes

In addition to further optimizing the game. WTF

And in addition to the visual enhancer of the, game . No No NO

In short, the game is now playable without any problems from start to finish. Beer!

Sorry for the inconvenience and good game to everyone Cheesy

See you soon .

Cordially.

Mohammad Trigui.

Nb: here is a new video of the last update of the game:

Nb: the game is now available on Steam for free, have fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1726160/If_you_winyou_lose/
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 12:14:11 AM »

Good morning everybody,  Cheesy

First of all, I would like to point out that the game works quite well and is quite successful, Beer!

the old images and trailer with which I presented the game have nothing to do with the project in its current and next state, Embarrassed

besides I will update the trailer soon in not long for the third time, No No NO

To make sure of this and to better understand the trick, please test the game in its current version on Steam. Mock Anger

Otherwise, I would like to talk about the sequel of the game:

-honestly, I am not able to ensure the continuation of this game for several personal reasons, I can only ensure the follow-up and the update and the completion of the current game,

-but I would like there to be one or more sequels to this project:

For example a second or even a third game why not or a second level editor game like super mario maker or in another form etc etc,

This is why I am currently looking for a developer or team preferably experienced and quite talented to whom to delegate the continuation of the project which takes over the game to produce the sequel(s) to this game by taking enough freedom in their own way without of course distorting the basic project,

So if you are interested, please contact me by private message for more information and more details and to agree,

On this good day and see you soon. Roll Eyes

Cordially.

Mohamed Trigui.
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 03:06:06 AM »

Good morning everybody,

just for clarification:

Regarding my current project "if you win...you lose!" it's just a passion project, i don't just intend to bet on it for commercial success, it's just a project i did to to estimate the market, trends,practice and  to improve my skills and to improve my CV etc so I don't really have a communication strategy for this project and I intend to complete the updates and complete the follow-up as soon as the project will be suitable enough.

But on the contrary, for my next projects on which I will just begin to plan and which will require in principle a few years of development before being finalized, and which I already estimate that they will be much more ambitious. and infinitely better than the current one in principle and if all goes well, I intend on the contrary to make them pay and to offer them on several platforms such as for example on the new xbox so I need a publisher to finance a large part of the development charge and the development remuneration and which will also take charge of the advertising and marketing communication component of my next projects against a large majority of the income from my next projects to be defined and settled together between me and the publisher and the various aspects of collaboration,

If there are editors who pass by here, that's good,

well if you are interested, do not hesitate to let me know in your next answer by private message, to discuss it further afterwards.

Nb: I would in any case choose the best editorial offer if there are several aims.

On this thank you very much, have a nice day, have a nice weekend and see you soon.

Cordially.

Mohammad Trigui.
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 06:26:33 AM »

hello everyone,

I want to thank you for your very useful advice.

That said, and it pains me to admit it, there are many friends who have pointed out to me that I have major communication problems, especially since I do not yet master the English language. I'm just beginning to understand how difficult it was for me to understand and apply the advice I was given. It is for this reason that I find it difficult to communicate in the topic without awkwardness, but I am now aware of it and I try to work on it.

Speaking of game design, could you suggest me readings, paid or not, about game design?

Another thing, let me present to you my latest project in progress in a proof of concept version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xwiv6lfgen1ktq/MultiRotation%20poc%20version%203.7z?dl=0

For the brave few who will want to test it, I have a few questions that could help me:
- What do you think of the graphic work of this project? Is there an improvement on this side, even minimal, especially in terms of graphic consistency?

- What do you think of the game design and playability side of this project? Should we abandon this project completely or does it have enough potential to continue on?

I take advantage of this message to throw a bottle overboard. If anyone is ever interested in collaborating with me, who is looking to get their hands dirty in graphic design as I try to get their hands dirty in development, I am open to any proposal by pm.

goodbye.

(Note: a friend of mine helped me write this message, given my current communication problem, thank you for your understanding.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 06:40:28 AM by Bioshk » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 08:52:02 AM »

As much as I've been critical of the project, its come a long way. Sadly imo it still needs a lot more work to get to a complete state. I'm proud that you got the background looking really nice, but the text background popups are almost impossible to read. The sound design is, at best, extremely irritating to hear, the saw noise is ok, and the bgm is ok, but some of the other SFX hurt my ears. When you get to the first flag, is that a checkpoint? There is no change in the flag to show it has activated. Also the UI looks tacky in a bad way that doesn't seem to fit your design.

I still like your cat Main Character, good work there! You should be proud that you got a game this far along, many people will never be able to do that. I think if you put in a few more iterations with this much improvement you'd be right where you want to be.

Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 09:16:05 AM »

Hello michaelplzno,

Thank you for your very helpful and encouraging comment.

I'm sorry for the uncomfortable experience you had throughout the game.

Yes, I know I have a lot to learn to improve this in the future.

I take note of your suggestions but it will not be for the remake of this game.

Indeed this project is currently on stand by, because I am currently working on my new project "Multi rotation cat" still in poc version (see link above),

what do you think of this new project, is it better than the previous one?

regarding "if you win you lose" yes the flag is indeed a chekpoint, moreover I had replaced this asset by another, more meaningful, for the last update of the game (see youtube link below)

Regarding the background and the cat and many others, I admit that I had actually used assets that I had purchased, because I do not yet master graphic work properly and as they say, it is very difficult to do 5 different areas of work at the same time.

Anyway thank you once again and see you soon.

Please note, I couldn't play correctly in the last video because I had a problem with my keyboard, that's why the gameplay looks a little weird.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:26:23 AM by Bioshk » Logged
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2023, 09:26:09 AM »

I like to see a video and screenshots of a project before I try it, I hope your new project goes well.

Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2023, 09:33:20 AM »

yes of course you have absolutely right and thanks again.

(Note I don't have any other images and video apart from this one)

Introduction :

The game tells the story of a brave young stray cat, who progresses through a cursed castle. He sets out to save his companions and his planet from the spell sealed in the castle thanks to the power of multi rotation

After a brief introduction, the whole game revolves around the innovative and original ability to rotate multiple objects in multiple ways.

Some objects such as platforms rotate around themselves or around the center position of other static predefined objects and there is also the notion of rotation of moving objects

Unlike those objects influenced by the power of rotation, there is the platform on which the player is on it and the other objects not concerned, not influenced by this principle.

Please note, there are some flickering issues in the video from the seemingly repetitive use of small textured patterns (I didn't realize that because I'm not a graphic designer by default)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:43:59 AM by Bioshk » Logged
Bioshk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 04:24:05 AM »

Hello everybody,

I discovered later a keyboard implementation problem in the demo I had shared.

So I recommend that you use the xbox controller which is implemented correctly.

thank you for your understanding and see you soon.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 08:34:52 AM »

Hey Bioshk, You continue to improve! Anyone who thinks they have mastered art and cannot improve needs to retire. One big issue I have with your current prototype is that the foreground and background are not differentiated enough. The wood panels look like the wood background. The stone panels look like the stone bg.

I'm not so sure you really have 2 different games here, they could be just different chapters of the same game if you stitch them together in some way.

Keep growing friend!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic