Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:55:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Windows] Farstar2 - Collectible card game about star fleets
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Windows] Farstar2 - Collectible card game about star fleets  (Read 759 times)
DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 22, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »

Hi guys! :)

I reworked my game about building and commanding a bunch of spaceships (I started from scratch again, except artwork).
It's still an early Alpha so it lacks in content, but the reimagined gameplay is in there.

Would you be kind enough to give me some feedback please? :) It would be really awesome. And don't be afraid to be negative. ;)

All notes are welcome, but what I need tested the most is the gameplay itself.
The game is a "collectible card game" and the gameplay in-match should be as you would expect from the genre (with rather short matches, lets say 5-20 minutes), except that there are some "strategic twists" in it (taken from the previous incarnation). It would be great if you could tell me what you like or don't like about it.
The focus here is on basic gameplay, so there is no way to customize your deck yet, but please keep in mind that just like in other collectible games, you will be able to switch all your cards in your decks in the future (including the SS Dreidel ofc). I just need to make sure that there are no critical flaws in the gameplay (and that the gameplay is polished enough) before I start adding/"porting" more content.
(Some specific questions but you don't need to answer them, only if you want to (it would help me though): How does the turn/round flow feel? Did any game rules surprise you? Was it a good or a bad surprise? Or just confusing? Was it always clear what a card does? Did you win? ;))
As I said though, I'll appreciate all notes, including notes about UI, visuals and, well, bugs. ;)

Two main things to know about game's rules:
- The source of basic ships is not the Hand, but the Shipyard on the left.
- Attacks deal reduced damage to Defense of same color.
(= red shields reduce red damage)
The rest can probably be "figured out" while playing. ;)
(Use F1 if you need detailed instructions, it's the only tutorial I have right now.)

DIRECT DOWNLOAD (Windows only)
(no installation required)

Little "warning": The support of different resolutions is incomplete. The game's "default" is 1920x960 - if at least one dimension of your resolution is the same, for example 1920x1080, you should have a perfect picture. Otherwise it may get blurry for which I apologize. (If it's too blurry to play, please try resizing the window to basically any other size, it might help.) If it does get blurry, I will appreciate if you let me know what your exact resolution is.

Thank you all. I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

P.S. Not necessary for the playtest:
If you want to read more about the project, you can check out its github (includes more spoilers screenshots).
You can also check out how the previous game looked in the original thread.
For those wondering about tech: It's java with libgdx.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:57:02 AM by DarkGran » Logged
Riv_
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 09:37:26 PM »

I have to go to work this morning, so i didn't have a lot of time to play it (only 2 matches) , but here's my first impressions:
-Clean up the card background to make the card text more readable
-That F1 help screen is really intimidating :D (i understand you don't have any other tutorial or time to make a proper one, i have the same problem)
-Damage types are confusing (the way armor reacts to them, etc - and this is from someone who is also making a card game with damage types Tongue )
-I didn't get any ships in the two matches that i played, that made me feel very powerless. I'm not sure if there's any ships in your deck or you just have to fight with your main ship, or if there's so few ships that you barely draw any ship cards
-Took a while to understand that i can click on my ship to take an action (even tho it says so in the text, and it's a mechanic that's also present in hearthstone, so that's my bad :D )

That's it for first impressions, i'll give it another go when i'm back from work

DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 05:22:47 AM »

Thank You so much for your feedback! Nice notes, I'll work on all of it.

To react to some of the notes:

Damage types are confusing (the way armor reacts to them, etc - and this is from someone who is also making a card game with damage types Tongue )

I updated the main post to make the damage rule clear. I'll look into how it's phrased in the F1. Thank you!

-I didn't get any ships in the two matches that i played, that made me feel very powerless. I'm not sure if there's any ships in your deck or you just have to fight with your main ship, or if there's so few ships that you barely draw any ship cards

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience. I see the F1 really must have been intimidating, it actually addresses "where the ships are". :)) But ye, right now there are no ships in the deck (that is because only "rare" ships get drawn from deck). I have updated the main post so the F1 isn't actually needed (especially if one has played other card games already).

-Took a while to understand that i can click on my ship to take an action (even tho it says so in the text, and it's a mechanic that's also present in hearthstone, so that's my bad :D )

Understandable. I feel that most of these things are a question of (missing) tutorial.

That's it for first impressions, i'll give it another go when i'm back from work

First impressions are the main impressions! ;D
So thank you again so much. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:37:49 AM by DarkGran » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »

Hi DrakGran,

I played your game and recorded it

DarkGran
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 02:49:39 PM »

Hi jbarrios!
Thank you so much, the video is super-insightful! (I'm also super happy that you liked the visuals x))

You're totally right about that the game needs a tutorial, there are some basics that you can just pick up but there are some rules that just take too much "experimenting" to learn on your own. I definitely want to keep working on this one (although I do tend to jump between projects) and now I'm sure that the tutorial should be the very first next thing so everything about the gameplay is clear. (I'm super-glad that you remained positive about the game despite the frustrations :)))

(Sorry about the confusion with damage types - it's funny really, everybody expects Rock-Paper-Scissors, and the damage actually used to work like that, but it didn't make much realistic sense to us/me, so now it's only a "simple" matter of "same shields reduce same dmg" (the logic being that "a new kind of technology" is usually created for weapons first and then we look for ways to protect ourselves from those new weapons): so the Battleship was doing only 1dmg (= reduced) to the frigate because Battleship has yellow (kinetic) weapons and Frigate has yellow shields. It's definitely something that should be explained somewhere, because there's just too much information that the player has to "figure out" on his own right now (including which number is the attack and which is the defense :)))))

Thank you again for the amazing insight and all the nice notes! Your videos are the best. :p ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 05:07:05 AM by DarkGran » Logged
ROSSCOGames
Level 0

CEO of ROSSCO Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 02:53:36 AM »

I read this as "fart-star" at first and was like "oh god, another one of these kids". Your game looks cool! Durr...?

Check out the games on my website!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic