Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:35:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessA new type of games company
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A new type of games company  (Read 3820 times)
chr15m
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2021, 02:05:54 AM »

Game development is hard. You have to master math, logic, fine art, animation, music composition, world building, 3d, sound design, narrative, cinematics, kinematics, game design, etc. etc. And then there's the marketing part. Nobody wants to do that part.

Me and three friends think we have figured out a new model that will let us build games sustainably on the side. We think it might work for other people too. It might even work for you.

We've already released one game and we have another one on the way next week. You can read about how we are doing it here:

https://thepunkcollective.com/a-new-kind-of-games-company

q1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 05:25:43 AM »

great post, but doesn't sokpop do a pretty similar thing?
chr15m
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 06:29:12 PM »

Yes it turns out Sokpop are already using this model successfully. Which is super cool, and great validation. I hope more people will try it too!

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 02:41:32 PM »

I wish Sokpop would write devlogs as thorough as yours. Blattix's diary and Gravitas' devlog were a good read Smiley

How is the business going so far?

kranzky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 10:25:44 PM »

I wish Sokpop would write devlogs as thorough as yours. Blattix's diary and Gravitas' devlog were a good read Smiley

Thanks for the feedback @Guntha... I'm Kranzky and I wrote those things Well, hello there!

The thing is, writing something like BLaTTiX: Diary of a Game was really difficult and time consuming, and I just can't force myself to write something like that on a regular schedule. Besides, that article received only a handful of claps and zero comments, which means that I now really keep to just writing things that I tend to be personally interested in myself, instead of writing to a (non-existent) audience.

Which kinda goes back to the point @chr15m was making in his original post. Marketing (aka building an audience) is hard, and nobody wants to do it. So my strategy has just been to be myself, doing what I find interesting in public, and hope that it strikes a chord with someone (and I'm very glad that it did for you).

To prove that point, I began the Gravitas Diary with the intent of writing something on a daily basis, but I really only managed to keep it up for the first two weeks of development, after which I lost interest (because writing is hard, I wasn't writing it for myself and I was receiving little feedback). Which is a great pity, because it would have been fantastic to finish the project with a complete daily diary as a by-product, but cest a la vie.

That's the whole Punk Collective philosophy, in fact. We're just doing our own thing because we find it interesting and fun, but we're doing it in the open in the hope that we'll accumulate an audience organically over time.

How is the business going so far?

Well, it's been great to finish so many projects this year, given my track record in previous years! And it's been a fantastic learning experience. In terms of a business, however, it is not self-sustaining. We're making precious few sales (although this makes sense when one realises that around 1% of views convert to a sale, which is par for the course), and going through the pains of giving birth to a new creation only to be met with the chirruping of crickets can damage one's ego.

Having said that, it's a fun experiment, and I look forward to continuing it in 2022. Let's see where it goes!
dminsky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 06:55:01 AM »

There is a great article from Chris Zukowski that may reveal possible issues with the marketing of "small games" on Steam.

https://howtomarketagame.com/2021/08/09/steam-hates-small-games/
Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 09:50:30 PM »

I can understand devlogs written only on itch.io not having a large audience, even myself being a dev, I don't look at them often, my interest was piqued by yours because they were numbered "Day 1, Day 11..." I was curious to see how detailed they would be :p

Maybe you should advertise (or even copy) them here in the DevLogs category and/or in other dev centric websites.

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 01:52:19 AM »

I've been made aware of another company that adopted a similar model in 2021, PUNKCAKE Délicieux.
It seems game dev bands enjoy revolving around punks.

https://punkcake.club/
https://punkcake.itch.io/

I assume they make more money through subscriptions on their Patreon than individual game sales.
https://www.patreon.com/punkcake

I don't know how much time it took them to get at that level, maybe it would be worth asking them :p

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic