Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:37:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBeta of my first game. Is it fun or not? Please feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Beta of my first game. Is it fun or not? Please feedback  (Read 878 times)
Txalata
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2021, 03:28:30 AM »

I am the developer of Light2live, I am preparing a demo for the Next Fest event on Steam.
I have been developing it for 1 year and at this point I am still not sure if it is fun or not, my suspicions are that it is still not enough.
Could you give me your opinion? Thanks.

You can try it from https://store.steampowered.com/app/1654150/Light2Live/

« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 03:01:54 AM by Txalata » Logged
sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 06:09:23 AM »

The idea is neat but there is some confusion for me gameplay wise.

Are you supposed to be able to survive the monster by jumping into those cabinets?
Sometimes in hallways there is literally no way forward because of the traps. Sometimes one of those side-pushers pop up right next to a spike spot, is it meant to be like that?
Is there only one way to get to the next level (the stairs)?
Also, is it fully randomly generated? I see ghost players and I assume they function as in Dark Souls. Is their movement actually synced with the seed for the level I'm playing on?
Txalata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 06:46:53 AM »

The idea is neat but there is some confusion for me gameplay wise.
That you have so many questions about its mechanics already tells me that it is not well designed.

Are you supposed to be able to survive the monster by jumping into those cabinets?
To survive the monster there are several mechanics such as closing doors behind you, hiding in closets, running, to try to take distance and mislead it.

Sometimes in hallways there is literally no way forward because of the traps. Sometimes one of those side-pushers pop up right next to a spike spot, is it meant to be like that?
All the elements of the level are procedurally generated, the traps as well. But they can be avoided by taking alternate paths or sprinting.
Is there only one way to get to the next level (the stairs)?
The objective of each level is to find the door to the next floor (indicated at the beginning of the level with a graphic). The stairs are shortcuts within the level, these shortcuts do not have any light source, they are dangerous and contain rewards.
Also, is it fully randomly generated? I see ghost players and I assume they function as in Dark Souls. Is their movement actually synced with the seed for the level I'm playing on?
That's how it is. They are generated from a seed. The echoes of other players who passed through that level are recorded, their presence gives us clues about the path and if they died, we can find the corpse and loot it.

I just saw your 4 attempts on the server Smiley the other players will see them if they play the same game. Every time we play a new game there is a 50% probability of starting one that no one has visited and a 50% chance that it has already been visited and contains echoes from other players.

I see that I am not transmitting the objective, the rules and the mechanics well. What a mess Smiley

sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 06:57:56 AM »

I see that I am not transmitting the objective, the rules and the mechanics well. What a mess Smiley

If you could show information as a popup instead while one is exploring it could solve some confusions Smiley
Txalata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 07:11:50 AM »

Thanks for your valuable feedback.
Txalata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 08:55:33 AM »

Has anyone else tried the beta?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 07:45:20 AM »

I was never too into the rougelike craze, but the light system looks very well done here.

Txalata
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 03:01:20 AM »

I have published a new public beta after months of work. Includes many new features and improvements. Also a new cover design. You can try it from Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1654150/Light2Live/
Please feedback!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic