Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:09:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesAre games better with voice talent or text only?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Are games better with voice talent or text only?  (Read 3288 times)
armyturtle
« on: August 30, 2021, 05:44:14 PM »

I'm old.
I grew up where games didn't have voice actors.
Like NES Mike Tyson's Punchout just had text and sound fx, from what i remember.  Same with SNES Chronotrigger.

For the younger generations, which do you prefer in games?

I think text only is better because you can imagine the voices.

armyturtle
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 05:45:25 PM »

I like when Sonic and Tails didn't speak
Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 05:48:07 PM »

I'm old too.
I grew up where Warcraft 2 basically just took random people from around the office and had them record the voices.
There are a lot of RTSes that make the mistake of not having full voice acting, and there are also some successful RTSes, and there's not a lot of overlap there.
The voiceover at the beginning of Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus is the most intense part of the entire game.
sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 01:11:52 AM »

Fallout is much better without a voiced protagonist, but having an RPG without voiced NPCs can be tedious since reading a wall of text is unlikely in my case to be stimulating. I suppose it could have something to do that when there is voice acting involved there is a monetary interest in compacting the text as much as possible.
MDex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 10:17:05 AM »

Offer both. The main issue with audio and voice is that you have localization issues. Have a look at voice acting in certain Capcom games, especially if they have a separate voice track for the NTSC releases. Doctor Wahwee.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic