Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 05:43:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMarketing an indie game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Marketing an indie game  (Read 4189 times)
gamedevver
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2021, 05:04:25 AM »

Hello everyone,

I think this is the right place to ask my question. I'm currently working on my second indie game but it is the first game where I'm actually focussing on marketing, which is harder then I thought. It's a mobile game. I published a prototyping version of my game on itch.io and gamejolt. I have made an article about my game at "playtesting" here and stared a devlog. I also posted something at Reddit. But I'm not getting as much views and downloads as I had hoped yet.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any useful advice or experiences about how to get more views/downloads on your game or any other well working places to market a game?

P.S Here are the articles:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=72328.0
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=72277.0
sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:04:11 AM »

I think a good first step is to make the graphics of the game more appealing. Remember that the screenshots you have should create so much intrigue and interest in your target audience that the first impressions you make on them will turn into actual page views.

Put yourself in the shoes of your target audience. When you are browsing games, what games do you actually get interested in and click further on? When it happens, take a moment and think what actually made you instinctively click. Identify reasons why and then start thinking about those every time you go into marketing mode.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:09:26 AM by sambloom » Logged
gamedevver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 03:46:59 AM »

I think a good first step is to make the graphics of the game more appealing. Remember that the screenshots you have should create so much intrigue and interest in your target audience that the first impressions you make on them will turn into actual page views.

Put yourself in the shoes of your target audience. When you are browsing games, what games do you actually get interested in and click further on? When it happens, take a moment and think what actually made you instinctively click. Identify reasons why and then start thinking about those every time you go into marketing mode.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, the designing and artwork aren't really my strongest points but will try to pay attention to that.
Thank You!
MDex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »

It's really all about what you have to show, but I recommend two points.

One, have something unique. If it's been seen before, usually viewers won't want to see it again and again. Have something you know hasn't been seen before, even if it's a minor element. Then highlight it and use it as the focal point when showcasing your work.

Two, editing, editing, editing, editing. Get familiar with your video editing software. Kdenlive is great if you want something free and simple to use with an easy learning curve, at least imo. Then play the game, and capture the best clips you can. Remove everything but the best moments and export to a variety of formats. mainly webm and gif.

Patiron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 02:33:59 AM »

You either need to finish the game or change the way it looks. You can try to find blogs that like indie games as simple as yours and publish your reviews there. But you need to do something bigger and more interesting with the game to attract users. Do you have user reviews? They can tell you exactly what they want to see.
lockrr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 04:54:21 AM »

Hi, is this post still relevant? We're developing a tool that helps early game developers with marketing and much more. We'd love to get your feedback. Not selling anything, but learning.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic