Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:24:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMy J2ME Mobile RPG Dev Log Series (with lots of voting)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My J2ME Mobile RPG Dev Log Series (with lots of voting)  (Read 2329 times)
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2009, 03:39:32 AM »

Hey guys I seen this section of the forums and figured I would let you know about my dev log!

I started my development series last week about the mobile RPG I'm creating.  So far I have had at least one poll for each post about certain aspects of the game.  Really the readers are choosing how the game will play out.  So anyone that likes RPG's I hope you check out my series (or if you just like indie game development).  I'm working on the game full time and hope to post daily.  I plan to make my next post later tonight or tomorrow (got a little bug I just got worked out).  I have 2 small tech demo videos too.

You can follow the series on my blog: CodeJustin.com

You can see what I'm up to on my programming blog (CodeJustin.com)
EchoP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 05:17:56 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.2505
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »

Thanks mate

puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 03:18:22 AM »

Would anyone happen to have any comments on my recent videos?  Sort of mentioning my game again becuase the number of votes for my game polls are going down so I wouldn't mind some feedback Gentleman

medieval
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:17:01 AM »

We don't do politics.
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 06:49:34 AM »

We don't do politics.
I wouldn't really consider voting for game features politics  Corny Laugh

I have the polls so people can vote for what they want to see in the game,  I think thats better in most cases for the user becuase they know a little bit more about the game as it is being developed and they have some say in it so everyone feels like they have something special in the game  Wink

Kadoba
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:19:30 AM »

Off to a nice enough start but it's kind of early to really comment on anything.

I will say that from looking at your collision detection video your character should be able to slide off walls to correct his path. Nothing more annoying than running away from a horde of monsters and die because you got stuck on the corner of a wall.

Also, while cooldowns aren't inherently bad you don't want your main attack on anything longer than half a second. Cooldowns introduce an economy-like system to skills making them more valuable and restricting them in the same sense mana does. But also like mana you don't want to run around doing nothing while it charges. The player should constantly be able to do something.

And even if it's only a couple I think you should have multiple roles. Some people just don't like being pigeonholed into roles. Actually I'm a huge fan of skill-based systems. Give the player both a stick and a firebolt and let them choose.

Don't get discouraged if you don't have a lot of feedback at first. You'll gain more attention as your game matures.

I guess I did have a bit to say...
puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:35:03 AM »

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Ya that's a great point on the walls.  I think I will make them "slippery" so users dont stick. 

Ya I'm actually kind of happy in that I think this RPG will bring some life back to old ways.  I'm actually going in the way of no restricting anything.  Though "skill costs" are not worked out the user will really have an open world.  I will have obviously some soft boundaries but it will be a very open feel.

puddinlover
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 05:45:21 AM »

Added a new video in which I go over some of the game changes and also in the same post I talk a little bit about my class abstraction.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic