Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:23:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMOONBRIAR - AAA Visual Novel | VN Festival Data + SXSW
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: MOONBRIAR - AAA Visual Novel | VN Festival Data + SXSW  (Read 32781 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2022, 06:27:48 AM »

Another great update with more cool lore and art! Fun to see the concepts too. Surprisingly windy in that cave Shocked

Almost two weeks since that update now, so hope you had luck with the artist, or that you will soon if not Smiley

Haha, yes, very windy for underground. That's mostly of out of necessity to add more life to the environmental animations, but having been in underground caves, they can be surprisingly drafty in real life so I'm sort of leaning into that explanation haha. And yes, I'm due for an update and will try and post one in the next week. We're currently testing with a 2nd artist (done a few tests with different artists) and hoping if things go well we'll have a new artist on the team soon but more details to come. Fingers crossed!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2022, 04:57:21 AM »

DEVLOG XVIII - New Character Artist

My last few posts have referenced that I've been on the hunt for a 2nd character artist, and in truth, that search has been ongoing for probably the last 2 months or so. Going into the search, I knew it would be difficult to find an artist to match the style, but in the end it was even more difficult than I expected. A lot of the artists who I felt could pull it off were booked for the year or long-term (which is more and more of a challenge the better the artists is) or if they were available, we'd find the tests didn't quite pan out or we could never come to terms. In the end I had conversations with around 17 different artists during the last two months and FINALLY all the stars aligned.

I'm really happy to announce that Nora Potwora will be joining the team as a character artist. Both the lead character artist and I have been a fan of Nora's for awhile. She has a bit of a following in the animal and creature design art space, and if you're interested in her work, you can check out her Instagram here. It's well worth a look: https://www.instagram.com/norapotwora/

First concepts for 'Sola' by Nora.

Refining. Sola's character is a confident farm girl.

Color tests & outfit design.

Sola final. Really happy with the end result!

Character Style References w/ Sola

Really pleased to have that item off my short-term bucket list. Will hopefully mean we can start churning out more characters even faster. Looking forward to seeing more of Nora's designs and getting started on animating the new characters.

If you made it this far, CONGRATS! I always appreciate everyone who takes the time read and comment on this devlog. It's always very encouraging so please dont hesitate to leave any questions or comments. In other project news:

• About 60% through writing and setting up Act 1 in the game.
  • I'm currently finalizing a name for the game. Another item I've stressed about for months! More on that soon.
  • Been doing a lot of general bug fixing and cleanup. Most things aren't too important to share, but lots of items.
  • Some UI updates are ongoing. New character profile screen (next devlog?), new pause menu, new settings menu, etc.
  • Slowly but surely working through adding in more environments. We're about 45% through designing all the environments.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2022, 11:30:23 PM »

It is awesome news that you found Nora as a character artist. The work of hers that you presented here speaks for itself and matches the art direction seamlessly!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2022, 12:57:21 PM »

DEVLOG XIX - A Name & A Logo

If you've followed this devlog, you'll know I've stressed about a name for the last 8 or 9 months of development. I didn't start working on the game with any knowledge of what the name would be and I've just assumed the name would eventually come to me. As the months ticked by and not a single name I came up with ever stuck--I was beginning to feel nervous.

"Untitled Visual Novel" just doesn't have a great ring to it.

At one point I had a list of 40+ names I was digging through. Checking domain availability, googling frantically for if a name was used, if so--how, etc. and it was a pretty arduous process where every decent name I found seemed to already exist in the form of some other random mobile game, novel, film etc. But, as these things tend to go, you usually find the answer when you least expect it.

The game features 'MOON SIGNS', which are a sort of astrological/zodiac system that the rabbits believe impacts them. Early into the game, the player picks which sign they were born under which can impact how other rabbits respond to you. It's a simple way to make subtle changes to the gameplay experience and lean into the world's lore. In short, moons are pretty important in the rabbit world so it would make sense that the larger part of the immediate all of these rabbit warrens are in would lean into this. The Moonbriar.

Logo Concept A

Logo Concept B - Contrast Variants

I wanted to go in very different directions when exploring the game's branding. Logo A is leaning into some of the more "classic" logo designs that people tend to associate with fantasy-themed video games or film like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings, etc. Logo B is quite different, despite using the same general font styling. This design was leaning more into a cleaner, simpler design that hints at the 'moon' theme.

After running these by some folks to get a general consensus, the Logo B variant won out in a bit of a landslide. While Logo A absolutely did remind a lot of people of classic fantasy logos (i.e. "Wow that reminds me of World of Warcraft"), it also meant that the logo was immediately forgettable and perhaps even a bit dated. As such, I'll be going with Logo B as the "winner". It's design is still subject to change and may be tweaked further, but for now, it's a great start.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the logos and game name!

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2022, 11:37:49 PM »

*Formerly the "Untitled...*

Ayyyyyyyy My Word!  Toast Right

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2022, 03:30:29 AM »

Heyy, two really neat updates since I was last here! Looks like you had some great luck finding an artist in the end, very talented and really does match the preestablished style, very cool Kiss

The zodiac system sounds cool too! Definitely prefer logo style B too and the moons made from the letters are nice. Since you had some planty branches going on with the text boxes I wonder if some similar flourishes could work in the logo too, or if it's too much.

Rin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2022, 05:09:12 AM »

Those logos are fantastic, I have to agree that the B logos are my favourites. The A logo gives me F2P mobile game vibes.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2022, 05:17:50 PM »

Those logos are fantastic, I have to agree that the B logos are my favourites. The A logo gives me F2P mobile game vibes.
True. A also kind of reminds me of a MMO, MOBA or something for some reason Tongue

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2022, 12:11:48 AM »

I'm also really intrigued by the player picking the moon their character was born under and this influencing the story. In the pen and paper RPG Werewolf: the Apocalypse this was an important part of building your character and I loved that system of "Auspices". Tricksters were born under a new moon, seers under a crescent moon, judges under a half moon, bards under a gibbous moon and warriors under a full moon. I'm looking forward to hear what kind of lore you create for Moonbriar.

I agree that you made a good choice regarding the logo, although three all of them are neat!

fskn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2022, 01:18:54 PM »

Awesome work top to bottom. The art from what I've seen so far is amazing. Congrats on that. Gentleman

For the logo, I prefer the height of the first M (on the WoW-like version), and for some reason the letters seem to talk to each other better in that version too...

And I think the R and I could fuse together or overlap somewhat... Maybe the I-A-R too. I'm not sure, but I would definitely play around with that a bit.

Maybe it's a matter of futzing with the kerning. Some letter pairs seem too close to one another, others are more distant.

The two Os could both be moons or a sun and a moon... but either both filled or both being made with just a stroke.
The tips of the moon are closer to the O than the curve is, and that's a bit odd/unsettling.

All in all you're in a good path, but there's room for improvement.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2022, 04:24:33 AM »

Thanks for all the comments fskn, Alain, Gunroar:Cannon, Rin, and Prinsessa! It's encouraging to hear that you're all in agreement with the direction I'm taking on logo design going for the cleaner and simpler look. Sounds like it was the right decision and I appreciate all the affirmation.

The zodiac system sounds cool too!

I'm also really intrigued by the player picking the moon their character was born under and this influencing the story. In the pen and paper RPG Werewolf: the Apocalypse this was an important part of building your character and I loved that system of "Auspices". Tricksters were born under a new moon, seers under a crescent moon, judges under a half moon, bards under a gibbous moon and warriors under a full moon. I'm looking forward to hear what kind of lore you create for Moonbriar.

Thank you both! Glad to hear it sounds interesting. Mechanically, it's very simple but I think its important in a narrative-heavy or decision-focused game to give the player a few decisions right out of the gate that they know are going to have some impacts on their experience. Gives the player a bit more agency and ownership early in I think.

It's pretty much exactly what you're describing, Alain, its all just various moon stages and the impacts of that Moon Sign vary from one sign to the next. They could periodically give you more choices/new paths, they can positively or negatively impact how certain rabbits interact with you, they can impact specific traits you gain like Willpower, Combat, or Diplomacy (i.e. one may give you a + in one trait but a - in another, etc). Essentially you're getting to sort of help define the playstyle you want to use for the main character.

I'll definitely share more details on all this once I have it a bit more cleanly implemented.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2022, 02:22:05 AM »

It's pretty much exactly what you're describing, Alain, its all just various moon stages and the impacts of that Moon Sign vary from one sign to the next. They could periodically give you more choices/new paths, they can positively or negatively impact how certain rabbits interact with you, they can impact specific traits you gain like Willpower, Combat, or Diplomacy (i.e. one may give you a + in one trait but a - in another, etc). Essentially you're getting to sort of help define the playstyle you want to use for the main character.

That makes a lot of sense for the visual novel genre. Talking about combat, I guess this will be narrated as well and not acted out by the player?

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2022, 01:55:10 PM »

DEVLOG XX | Mid-2022 Status

!LARGE GIF AND IMAGE WARNING!

Technically, we're past mid-2022 but I figured it was still close enough to a mid-year checkpoint to try and share some general status updates of where I'm at in the project. Since this is the 20th devlog, which feels like a bit of a milestone, I also feel obligated to share a larger general update on things. Making progress on a variety of fronts right now, so I'll skip talking and just dive in.

Art & Animation Update
This is a pretty asset-heavy project for a Visual Novel, in terms of environments, characters, animations needed, etc. As such, its been important for me to pushing the project to churn out as much art and animation as we can as I don't want that to become a bottle-neck that eventually turns this into a 3 or 4 year project. As such, there is a lot of time where we're making art or characters for parts of the game we're nowhere near to implementing. In some ways it feels a little backwards for how to approach building assets, but thus far it seems to be working. We've completed about 45% of all the "core" art and animation in the game. Core meaning the basic pieces to have a playable experience. More than likely we will need additional assets for special endings, cutscenes, or just things we realize we're missing as we get deeper into development. So while its not exactly half of all the assets we will ever need, its still a pretty significant number.

In a perfect world, I would love to have completed all core assets by the end of 2022, but given the current % and where we're at in the year, that number will be difficult short of an increase in our speed, which is possible but not easy. Below are some examples of a couple recent characters.

Piper is a Mender, or healer, in the warren much like our protagonist, Fern. A dwarf rabbit, she resents the fact that Fern is slated to become Chief Mender when Fern's mother, the residing Chief Mender, dies. Piper sees how Fern is tempted by the  Warrior path, and isn't living up to her mother's greatness as a healer. This can lead to the two of you butting heads throughout your journey. Piper is self-assured and believes so fully in the mender path that it's almost a zealot-like blindness.

Piper. Art by Nora Potwora.

Ragwort is a cruel rabbit, and the right hand of the game's antagonist, Nightshade. A cruel and powerful buck, he was raised by Nightshade, and has now become as good, or better, than Nightshade ever was as a fighter. Ragwort has set his eyes on Fern as a potential mate, though all does belong to Nightshade. Ragwort knows if he waits long enough, he will be the shoo-in to replace Nightshade as Clade Prince, though patience is one of the least of Ragwort’s virtues. Something you could attempt to take advantage of, though Ragwort is not easily controlled.

Ragwort. Art by Jeannette Wang.

We're also making headway on some of the environments, slowly but surely. On average it takes about a month to churn out two environments and get them animated, so this has been relatively slow moving but we continue to make progress. We're about 45% of the way through the environment art, with two more locations currently in progress that I hope will be completed in the end of July. Below are a few interior locations that were completed earlier in July.

The Library & Silene's Room. Art by Erel Matita.

On the animation side, I'll spare you the interior animations, as they're not always the most exciting--though I will say the fires burning in the fireplace are quite soothing. Instead, I'll focus more on the character art, which people are always excited to see. I just got a few characters completed, but will share just one for the purposes of not overloading this image-heavy post. As always, animations for both characters and environments is done in Spine.

Piper. Animation by Jaang Eimyoung.

Close-up of the Mesh Deformation simulating liquid.

Other Development Updates

UIUX: In other, far less exciting news, we're also working on things besides art and animations. I finally got around to creating and implementing some menu's throughout the game. A Main Menu, a Pause Menu, a Settings Menu, etc. It's one of those minor things that does start making the game feel like a 'real game' when you actually get adjust things like your resolution, pause, save/load, and quit the game. The UI art is all pretty placeholder, so I'll spare you having to see it. But it was technically a small dev milestone to get knocked out.

Writing & Implementation: We've written 75% of Act 1 (of 4), and I've managed to get 69% (nice) implemented into the game. Of course, once we've got all of Act 1 implemented, I will need to make sure it all ties together so that every character interaction and story event plays out correctly. That will be a pretty major milestone to be able to actually play essentially a rough-cut of the first act and see how the game is feeling, how the story is working, etc. More than likely, we will probably identify that we will need to add more to the story or gameplay features after we've had some time testing the first act. While we have the whole game story outlined, we likely wont begin writing or implementing anything in Act 2 until we're pretty happy with how the first act is feeling. Long-term, we will probably look at offering the first act as a free demo, and it will probably be part of whatever first alpha demo we share with the community here for testing purposes.

Map System: Obviously, as we get more of Act 1 finalized, it will be important to have some sort of system in place to get around the world to all the locations and interact with the various characters. It will likely be a combination of having 'exits' you can select within each scene which will take you to another scene. Additionally, there will be a 'fast travel' option from your character's inventory screen where you will be able to open up a map of either the Underworld (where the rabbits live) or the Overworld (above ground). Primarily, I'm implementing that so that the player doesn't have to click through 10 scenes to travel from one side of the map to another. I've started implementing this with a lot of placeholder assets and I'm maybe halfway through getting the fast travel maps working. I'll try and share an update and some visuals on this when its slightly more polished.

Up next, I'll try to record some gameplay videos of conversations, how you can gain traits or resources based on your decisions, and a look at some of the updated Inventory and UI screens. More to come in the next update!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2022, 12:20:57 AM »

Piper is a Mender, or healer, in the warren much like our protagonist, Fern.

Piper's definitely an alchemist Wink Great job on the animations as always and thanks for the in-depth update!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2022, 07:16:12 PM »

Piper's definitely an alchemist Wink Great job on the animations as always and thanks for the in-depth update!

Haha! I hadn't really thought about it in that context, but now that you mention it... Smiley And thank you for the kind words as always.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2022, 04:17:13 AM »

Making great progress yet again! Gorgeous background art and cool to learn even more about the characters and story.

Nice to hear about all the background stuff even if it's not as interesting to show too, seeing the reality of what goes into it all.

It shouldn't be weird since humans are at odds with other humans in most human-centric stories, but with other animals it feels like it's always cross-species to the point it feels like an interesting subversion to see rabbits quarrelling with other rabbits here! Giggle I do like that.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2022, 02:06:09 PM »

It shouldn't be weird since humans are at odds with other humans in most human-centric stories, but with other animals it feels like it's always cross-species to the point it feels like an interesting subversion to see rabbits quarrelling with other rabbits here! Giggle I do like that.

Thanks Prinsessa! Appreciate the support as always. And yes, while you will see a few other races of animals in the game, all the antagonists in this story will be other rabbits. I think some of the current world events are definitely bleeding into this story with some rabbits being pro-war, anti-war, xenophobic of certain breeds, nationalistic, etc. I'm not trying to get heavy-handed with politics, but suffice to say the rabbits are definitely inspired by humanity.

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2022, 02:03:28 AM »

Great animation, once again.

But is that beer in the bottle? Judging from Piper swaying, he may have drunk a couple too many of them; it is fortunate that mesh-based liquids cannot be spilled. Maybe Piper is also a brewer.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Rin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2022, 03:30:31 AM »

Everything is coming along so nicely, I'm really looking forward to seeing the backgrounds and characters together in the game.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2022, 07:07:31 PM »

Great animation, once again.

But is that beer in the bottle? Judging from Piper swaying, he may have drunk a couple too many of them; it is fortunate that mesh-based liquids cannot be spilled. Maybe Piper is also a brewer.

Hahaha, no it's not beer, but now that you mention it...

Everything is coming along so nicely, I'm really looking forward to seeing the backgrounds and characters together in the game.

Thanks so much! That's actually something I'll be showing more of soon.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic