Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1401613 Posts in 67930 Topics- by 61478 Members - Latest Member: clubcana

July 02, 2022, 02:52:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMOONBRIAR | Formerly the "Untitled AAA Visual Novel"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: MOONBRIAR | Formerly the "Untitled AAA Visual Novel"  (Read 8019 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2022, 06:27:48 AM »

Another great update with more cool lore and art! Fun to see the concepts too. Surprisingly windy in that cave Shocked

Almost two weeks since that update now, so hope you had luck with the artist, or that you will soon if not Smiley

Haha, yes, very windy for underground. That's mostly of out of necessity to add more life to the environmental animations, but having been in underground caves, they can be surprisingly drafty in real life so I'm sort of leaning into that explanation haha. And yes, I'm due for an update and will try and post one in the next week. We're currently testing with a 2nd artist (done a few tests with different artists) and hoping if things go well we'll have a new artist on the team soon but more details to come. Fingers crossed!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2022, 04:57:21 AM »

DEVLOG XVIII - New Character Artist

My last few posts have referenced that I've been on the hunt for a 2nd character artist, and in truth, that search has been ongoing for probably the last 2 months or so. Going into the search, I knew it would be difficult to find an artist to match the style, but in the end it was even more difficult than I expected. A lot of the artists who I felt could pull it off were booked for the year or long-term (which is more and more of a challenge the better the artists is) or if they were available, we'd find the tests didn't quite pan out or we could never come to terms. In the end I had conversations with around 17 different artists during the last two months and FINALLY all the stars aligned.

I'm really happy to announce that Nora Potwora will be joining the team as a character artist. Both the lead character artist and I have been a fan of Nora's for awhile. She has a bit of a following in the animal and creature design art space, and if you're interested in her work, you can check out her Instagram here. It's well worth a look: https://www.instagram.com/norapotwora/

First concepts for 'Sola' by Nora.

Refining. Sola's character is a confident farm girl.

Color tests & outfit design.

Sola final. Really happy with the end result!

Character Style References w/ Sola

Really pleased to have that item off my short-term bucket list. Will hopefully mean we can start churning out more characters even faster. Looking forward to seeing more of Nora's designs and getting started on animating the new characters.

If you made it this far, CONGRATS! I always appreciate everyone who takes the time read and comment on this devlog. It's always very encouraging so please dont hesitate to leave any questions or comments. In other project news:

• About 60% through writing and setting up Act 1 in the game.
  • I'm currently finalizing a name for the game. Another item I've stressed about for months! More on that soon.
  • Been doing a lot of general bug fixing and cleanup. Most things aren't too important to share, but lots of items.
  • Some UI updates are ongoing. New character profile screen (next devlog?), new pause menu, new settings menu, etc.
  • Slowly but surely working through adding in more environments. We're about 45% through designing all the environments.

Alain
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2022, 11:30:23 PM »

It is awesome news that you found Nora as a character artist. The work of hers that you presented here speaks for itself and matches the art direction seamlessly!

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2022, 12:57:21 PM »

DEVLOG XIX - A Name & A Logo

If you've followed this devlog, you'll know I've stressed about a name for the last 8 or 9 months of development. I didn't start working on the game with any knowledge of what the name would be and I've just assumed the name would eventually come to me. As the months ticked by and not a single name I came up with ever stuck--I was beginning to feel nervous.

"Untitled Visual Novel" just doesn't have a great ring to it.

At one point I had a list of 40+ names I was digging through. Checking domain availability, googling frantically for if a name was used, if so--how, etc. and it was a pretty arduous process where every decent name I found seemed to already exist in the form of some other random mobile game, novel, film etc. But, as these things tend to go, you usually find the answer when you least expect it.

The game features 'MOON SIGNS', which are a sort of astrological/zodiac system that the rabbits believe impacts them. Early into the game, the player picks which sign they were born under which can impact how other rabbits respond to you. It's a simple way to make subtle changes to the gameplay experience and lean into the world's lore. In short, moons are pretty important in the rabbit world so it would make sense that the larger part of the immediate all of these rabbit warrens are in would lean into this. The Moonbriar.

Logo Concept A

Logo Concept B - Contrast Variants

I wanted to go in very different directions when exploring the game's branding. Logo A is leaning into some of the more "classic" logo designs that people tend to associate with fantasy-themed video games or film like World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings, etc. Logo B is quite different, despite using the same general font styling. This design was leaning more into a cleaner, simpler design that hints at the 'moon' theme.

After running these by some folks to get a general consensus, the Logo B variant won out in a bit of a landslide. While Logo A absolutely did remind a lot of people of classic fantasy logos (i.e. "Wow that reminds me of World of Warcraft"), it also meant that the logo was immediately forgettable and perhaps even a bit dated. As such, I'll be going with Logo B as the "winner". It's design is still subject to change and may be tweaked further, but for now, it's a great start.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the logos and game name!

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2022, 11:37:49 PM »

*Formerly the "Untitled...*

Ayyyyyyyy My Word!  Toast Right

Why can't pirates code in lua? Because they spend to much time at C!

-How to be saved
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic