Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:13:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOrten Was The Case - A hand painted time-loop adventure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Orten Was The Case - A hand painted time-loop adventure.  (Read 6919 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 01:44:29 AM »

Very cool, looks super well done! Lots of atmosphere. You seem to be pretty far along too? Is there a lot left to do? Blink

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 07:58:42 AM »

I agree with Alain, starting from a painting is such an unusual premise for making a game and it has already lead to very different graphics to what I'm used to.

Looking forward to trying it out, looks like a fun puzzle game!
Thanks! I want to think I found a quite unique way of making my graphics, I hope people will like how it plays!

Congratulations on the Steam page and I like the trailer a lot!
Thank you very much!

Very cool, looks super well done! Lots of atmosphere. You seem to be pretty far along too? Is there a lot left to do? Blink
Many gracias! Yeah, it depends. I have come a long way in building the world, maybe 90%.
I've got the overarching storyline set.
The core mechanics are about 80% done.
About half of the characters are modelled and rigged, maybe 5-10% of the animation on them done.
The main quest of the game will be divided in 3 parts and right now only the first 1 can be progressed half way through.

So it's still a whole lot left to do, my goal is 1 year!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:08:42 AM by Otres1 » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »

Nice, that's not too far off in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2021, 01:58:57 AM »

Nice, that's not too far off in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
No everything is relative, I've probably done more than I got left :D Thank you!
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »

Here are some character concepts I've painted:

These will also be used in-game as dialogue portraits I think:

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 02:08:03 AM »

Doing a proper backjump is not too common in games, so I figured, in Orten you are supposed to do a backjump on the subway.

Last week I did a proof of concept for myself. I figured a common FogOfWar mechanic would do the trick and it seems to work.

So I have a mesh plane with 0 alpha. Tha character stands in front of the plane in an animation blendspace that put his hand in a perfect square in front of him (I use 9 poses: up, down, left, right, upleft and so on...)
Of course, the blending of the hand between these poses would not be in a straight line since the hand is so low down the skeleton hierarchy. So instead I have a joint, which I call "Align", that's a direct child under the root joint but placed in the same place as the hand:

So when changing blendspace input values the Align joint will go in a straight line everywhere, then I just IK the hand to the align joint.

Then I raycast from the hands position, to another object thats behind the mesh plane. And where the Ray hit the meshplane i modify it's alpha to be 1 right at the hitpoint and then fade out over a set distance (could equip a fatcap to increase this distance).

When the sum of all vertices alpha is above 0.75, the letter is considered done and your AI friend will put on outlines.

So yeah now you have complete control of where your hand goes, where you spray. The challenge for now is to do everything within a time limit!  Gentleman

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2021, 02:42:48 AM »

Had to look up what a backjump is (fast-sprayed graffiti? Did I get that right?). Now there's something I definitely haven't seen encoded into game mechanics before. Nice implementation too, from to looks of it!
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2021, 02:53:37 AM »

Had to look up what a backjump is (fast-sprayed graffiti? Did I get that right?). Now there's something I definitely haven't seen encoded into game mechanics before. Nice implementation too, from to looks of it!

Oh yeah! Sorry, yes a backjump is when you paint a train that is in traffic. Like waiting at an end station as in this case! :D
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2021, 11:09:44 PM »

That was a cool breakdown! Somehow I find it oddly satisfying to watch the outlines being filled.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 02:02:27 AM »

TIL, I thought it was the specific IK for when the other character jumps away from the train at the end of the GIF or something Cheesy Very cool little tech update, result is impressive!

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »

Hi Otres1!

I stumbled upon your thread for the first time. And yeah, your game is looking great from both art perspective but also from perspective of gameplay mechanics idea (time-loop instead of just classic point'n'click). Congrats on Steam page! I'll keep an eye on your project, looks very promising!

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 02:11:17 AM »

The visual style is stunning. Very personal. I love it!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2021, 09:14:17 AM »

Skimming through the first page of the log, I love the art. And I love time loops. Following!

baftis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »

Hey, Otres1

This is a very unique looking game you have there. It definitely oozes personality and talent and atmosphere. Can't wait to see how it plays.

Against The Mountain - First Person Adventure/Platformer DevLog - https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=72358.0
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 06:51:21 AM »

That was a cool breakdown! Somehow I find it oddly satisfying to watch the outlines being filled.
Thank you! I hope it will feel equally satisfying to play!  Grin

TIL, I thought it was the specific IK for when the other character jumps away from the train at the end of the GIF or something Cheesy Very cool little tech update, result is impressive!
Thanks! The IK is all about keeping the hand steady and follow player input.  Hand Joystick

Hi Otres1!

I stumbled upon your thread for the first time. And yeah, your game is looking great from both art perspective but also from perspective of gameplay mechanics idea (time-loop instead of just classic point'n'click). Congrats on Steam page! I'll keep an eye on your project, looks very promising!
Nice to hear and thank you! Yeah this is not point and click at all Smiley
The visual style is stunning. Very personal. I love it!

Skimming through the first page of the log, I love the art. And I love time loops. Following!

Hey, Otres1

This is a very unique looking game you have there. It definitely oozes personality and talent and atmosphere. Can't wait to see how it plays.

Big thanks to all of you!  Beer!
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2021, 04:03:49 PM »

A little follow up on my last post. Painting graffiti often involves getting busted, so here is a GIF of Ziggy getting busted by the cop (Napoleon is his name atm).
The cop is a nav mesh agent and will navigate towards the player, when he gets close enough it's game over. So don't linger! Who, Me?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2021, 12:35:02 AM »

Is that a "Welcome to the N.H.K." reference I spy?
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2021, 01:46:10 AM »

Is that a "Welcome to the N.H.K." reference I spy?

Truth is I had never heard of "Welcome to the N.H.K"  Durr...?
It's just their ingame crew letters.. :D
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 02:55:19 AM »

Hah! Grin

I think it still kinda fits the theme though
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »

Hehe yeah I just leave it like that and it's up to the player to make that connection :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic