Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:08:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOrten Was The Case - A hand painted time-loop adventure.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Orten Was The Case - A hand painted time-loop adventure.  (Read 6918 times)
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 10:18:08 AM »

This continues to look really great. Love the trailer. Nicely done.

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 01:36:36 AM »

This continues to look really great. Love the trailer. Nicely done.

Thank you very much!  Beer!
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2021, 03:23:08 AM »

Merry christmas everyone!  Wizard

This time I'll go a little more in depth of the though process of my map building and game progression.

I always loved semi-open world games i.e. older Zelda games, Metroid and my favorite map of them all gotta be Dark Souls 1. So naturally I get a lot of inspiration from those.
My world is seemlessly interconnected and you are free to go whatever direction you want from the get go.
One thing I especially loved about the Dark Souls map is the verticallity, not so much great plains you have to ride across but more going up or down, so that's something I'll try to achieve as well (And my original painting was already more vertical than horizontral).

In Zelda/Metroid, progressing certain paths is gate-keeped by you requiring a certain item (Strenght gauntlets, missiles etc.).
Dark Souls sometimes does a thing which I love which is gate-keeping just by difficulty, you could potentially progress this path but it just seems too hard atm, but with skill it's totally doable.

So my goal in is to do the gate-keeping with knowledge. The most obvious example of this is a code.
The game is based on loops so lets say you follow a certain quest to completion during one loop, the reward is a code to a door.
Next loop the code to the door is saved in your logbook. So all subsequent playthroughs this door will be accessible right from the start.

So this is where I try to be creative and come up with different ways knowledge can gate-keep.
Certain doors might be open during a specific time frames.
Characters will be able to branch their behaviours if certain conditions are met before.
A colored plank in the floor is a pressure plate that activates only if you stand on it for x amount of seconds.
And so on...

Here is a screenshot collage from Unity editor of my complete world, very few or no more rooms will be added.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »

Happy Chrimbo! Love these screenshots! I like that sort of progression. How's the replay value? The code I guess can be different every time but I guess the rest would be fairly static?

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2021, 04:03:45 PM »

Woow, looks intriguing! My Word!

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2021, 02:47:31 AM »

Happy Chrimbo! Love these screenshots! I like that sort of progression. How's the replay value? The code I guess can be different every time but I guess the rest would be fairly static?
Thank you! In a sense, I'am hoping to achieve a lot of replayability since the loop is fairly short (around 10-15 minutes). And to complete the game you will most likely have to do the loop many times.
I think it will get a kind of sandboxy vibe to it where you can try a lot of combinations of the things you do. Where the first few quest might feel fairly static and straight forward, the more you unlock (codes etc), the more options you get from the start.
So let's say in quest A you progressed a character to be upon a roof. Later, halfway through quest D another character ended up on the same roof, what if I can get those 2 characters to be on the same roof at the same time?
There will be a fair amount of secret stuff, and "easy to miss" events that happens, to give the feel that there is always more to discover.

But yeah, if you have completed the game, and have all the knowledge there wont be much replayability left, and it's probably time to move on to another game.  Roll Eyes

Woow, looks intriguing! My Word!

Thank you! Beer!
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2022, 06:55:29 PM »

Just a little work in progress. Something is smelling extra fishy in the sewers Shocked

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2022, 03:21:34 AM »

D:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2022, 04:17:56 AM »

I was about to comment on your earlier message about the many different threads to unlock making the world feel alive and then you post another message with a corpse...

Properly creepy though
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2022, 04:36:12 AM »

Can we save them if we use the time loop right? Sad

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2022, 07:08:33 AM »

I was about to comment on your earlier message about the many different threads to unlock making the world feel alive and then you post another message with a corpse...

Properly creepy though
Haha very true, alright not everything is alive Roll Eyes

Can we save them if we use the time loop right? Sad
I think probably this guy is out of luck since it most likely happened before the loop began. But he might not be the only one  Hand Knife Right
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2022, 08:03:23 AM »

Holy crap this is crazy. I love the way you did the model of the subway. That's so cool.

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 02:22:09 AM »

Holy crap this is crazy. I love the way you did the model of the subway. That's so cool.

Thank you very much!! Toast Left
mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2022, 03:16:20 PM »

Wow, that’s some artwork. I love how the 2D and 3D graphics are so naturally combined.

Only danger I can imagine is that essential objects, places or platforms may go unnoticed because of all the graphical details; that the player just doesn’t notice something and gets stuck. But assuming what you’ve written, you’re already aware of this.

And it is interesting to read about the technical details behind all this. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2022, 08:49:58 AM »

Wow, that’s some artwork. I love how the 2D and 3D graphics are so naturally combined.

Only danger I can imagine is that essential objects, places or platforms may go unnoticed because of all the graphical details; that the player just doesn’t notice something and gets stuck. But assuming what you’ve written, you’re already aware of this.

And it is interesting to read about the technical details behind all this. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thank you!
And yes, you are right, I'm doing user tests on a regular basis to identify places that are hard to read/where perspective is playing mind tricks.

I'm also trying to find a nice balance of hints/clues/tutorials to keep it reasonably progressable.

Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »

This time I'll do a little technical update on something that I thought would be pretty straight forward but turned out to be mind boggling for me...

The audio listener!

The nature of my game, it looks 2D but really is fully 3D, and some environments is really deep on the Z axis (depth, this might vary from engines but using unity so I call it Z from now on). So for the camera to follow the player centered, it also need to follow the player in Z.
This means I need the camera to be really far away from the player so it never intersect the world geometry. As a result the camera is not a good position for the audio listener.

Next thought was to just put the listener on the player. But you are not really having the players perspective on thing so this becomes weird as well.

So my best solution for now.
- I have a GameObject that is always centered on screen, but always have the same position in Z as the player. I call it the PlayerListener.
- I have a mesh plane that sits in the same location in front of all world geometry. I call it AudioListenerPlane
- "PlayerListener" RayCasts at an angle back towards the AudioListenerPlane, where the ray hits is where I place the actual Audio Listener. Always on this plane in Z but always centered in the camera view.
- Then I have another mesh plane a couple of units in front of AudioListenerPlane, which I call the AudioEmitterPlane. When a 3D sound plays, a water-spraying fire hydrant for example, a GameObject called EmitterParent is placed right on the firehydrant.
- EmitterParent shoots a ray that hits AudioEmitterPlane and this hit point is where the actual SoundEmitter is placed.
- Then I control the volume of each SoundEmitter by measuring the distance between it's EmitterParent and the player.

Game view:

Editor view:

It works! I'm all ears if someone has a cleaner solution for this.

Gentleman

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2022, 06:48:31 AM »

So it looks like your approach is to have an "audio shadow plane", which is a flat 2D plane on which you project the audio sources from the 3D world? I think that's actually not that bad a hack tbh, at least geometrically speaking. The real question is how gnarly your code is when it comes to achieving it
Otres1
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2022, 08:29:08 AM »

So it looks like your approach is to have an "audio shadow plane", which is a flat 2D plane on which you project the audio sources from the 3D world? I think that's actually not that bad a hack tbh, at least geometrically speaking. The real question is how gnarly your code is when it comes to achieving it

Yeah you understand it correctly! I project the audio sources onto the 2D plane from the 3D world.

I think it will be manageable code-wise but maybe not the most optimal performance-wise. But I think it will be fine.
I have a static class with a method that takes a Transform and returns a position on the AudioEmitterPlane by casting a ray.
Then I always just pass this method as the sounds position.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2022, 12:11:30 PM »

That.. sounds like it should be pretty efficient actually Cheesy
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2022, 02:18:15 PM »

Fun to see your solutions! That 3D sideview is great too. Kiss

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print