Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:48:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlSuggested Character Ranking Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Suggested Character Ranking Thread  (Read 22625 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »

There have been a lot of character suggestions, and while I would like to, it is simply too much work to include every character. I have tried to make the list of characters as balanced and interesting as possible. It's not perfect, though, and I don't think I've had enough feedback from you guys. Which playable characters do you really want to see in the game? If anyone reading this has a few minutes, would you mind ordering this list of characters from the ones you really want to see as playable characters to the ones you don't care about as much? Your answers won't have any direct effect on the game. I'd just like some more detailed feedback than a few scattered posts saying 'you should totally include X!' or 'nah, X probably wouldn't work that well...'

All these characters will at least appear as support characters. The question is which ones should be playable.

Akuji the Demon
Sexy Hiker (Sexy Hiking)
Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress)
Barkley (Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden)
Cabadath (Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice)
Blue Knight (Castle Crashers)
Kittey (A Game with a Kitty)
Reimu (Touhou series)
Mia (Eternal Daughter)
Karoshi
Kaltos (The Spirit Engine 2)
Asha (Iji)
Rilo (Noitu Love 2)
Bird (An Untitled Story)
Madotsuki (Yume Nikki)
Alien Hominid
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 06:53:38 AM by Soulliard » Logged

shig
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 09:43:03 AM »

Reimu is a must.
Even if you don't like her or any Touhou game, they still represent a large portion of indie gaming.

If I could I would vote AGAINST Sexy Hiker.
The only thing he has in favour of him is the fact that he is sort of funny. But even then, not so much.

Cabadath and Asha seem like they're pushing it since we won't be giving more than one playable character to any other games at all. Even the Touhou series that has a fanbase a billion times bigger than the Chzo mythos is only getting one character and MAYBE an assist. But Cabadath gets added just because he is cool :/
Cabadath and Asha could both be asssits.
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:28:51 PM »

If I could I would vote AGAINST Sexy Hiker.

I wouldn't say things like that around here Cool

I agree that Cabadath might work better as a TIGboxer, though, because of the reasons you said, shig. I really have no opinion on Touhou characters, though.

Barkley's a definite must-have. Gaiden's one of only a handful of enjoyable indie RPGs. Hell, it's one of only a handful of indie RPGs in general. He's got a great moveset to choose from, too, so as a playable character he's definitely feasible.

Karoshi might work better as an assist trophy, maybe shooting bullets at players around him and eventually exploding on somebody. He really doesn't have many potential moves.

Dwarf's a must as a playable, and you've already coded him, it looks like. Popularity alone makes him a great choice. His moveset might have to be a little more improvised than other characters, though.

I'd love to see Madotsuki as a playable character, but I'm not sure how others feel. She's not really much of a fighter in her own game, but she has enough abilities that we could probably tool them into more offensive ones. I'd really like to see Uboa as a TIGboxer, too, whether or not Madotsuki gets in. I think more people actually know of him than of Madotsuki or even of Yume Nikki. Maybe give him some sort of weird bubble attack, like Luigi's FS in Brawl.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:32:31 PM by Karuvitomsk » Logged
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »

I definitely want to see rilo cabadath and hominid. asha is preferred

Lo
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »

Honestly I've never heard of most of these.

Barkley is a MUST, that would be awesome :D

Asha isn't like "OMG I'll kill myself if you don't!", I just think he'd make a wonderful, agile, melee-based character, which there aren't many of at the moment Tongue

I don't think Karoshi would really work, I mean, what CAN he do..?

Bird from An Untitled Story is a total must, that game was awesome and the character actually has potential as a fighter; finding attacks for him might be a bit of a stretch, but it's worth it.
shig
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »

I definitely want to see rilo cabadath and hominid. asha is preferred

What do you mean by preferred? And why do you want them?

Actually I don't have this problem with just this topic.
Your posts are usually just "This is bad.", "This is good.", "I want this", "I don't want that" but you never give any explanation as to WHY you think what you think. And that sort of annoys me.

Your posts would be much more helpful and useful if you actually tried to tell us the reasons behind your opinions.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »

Thanks. That was helpful to read. Detailed feedback is the best, of course, but even Tuna's limited feedback is helpful.

Ordering those characters, with or without explanations, would be helpful, too. That's the most objective way to explain your preferences.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:41:02 PM by Soulliard » Logged

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 05:37:12 PM »

Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress)
Reimu (Touhou series)
Sexy Hiker (Sexy Hiking)
Akuji the Demon
Mia (Eternal Daughter)
Asha (Iji)
Karoshi
Bird (An Untitled Story)
Rilo (Noitu Love 2)
Alien Hominid

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »

okay then

Cabadath (Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice)- because he would make an interesting character and he`s an absolute badass
Rilo (Noitu Love 2)- the rocket launcher would be super fun and she`s technically been in more nl games than anyone else.
Alien Hominid- everyone knows him. super iconic of indies in general.
Asha (Iji)- what winter said
Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress)- because he`s already programmed
Barkley (Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden)- dont really know much about this but its sounds good
Blue Knight (Castle Crashers)- also quite iconic, but not quite as cool as alien hominid
Reimu (Touhou series)- tohou probably needs a representative
Bird (An Untitled Story)- while lacking in moves, untitled story is fun. might be better as an assist.
Akuji the Demon- saw a gameplay video once, might be better suited as an assist.
Mia (Eternal Daughter)- really didn`t like this game, but its pretty well known. I would say assist.
Sexy Hiker (Sexy Hiking)- he`s just weird.

the rest i think they shouldn`t be in, or i have`t heard of them

Lo
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »

Rilo (Noitu Love 2)
Bird (An Untitled Story)
Trilby (Trilby: The Art of Theft and Chzo Quadrilogy)
Alien Hominid
Reimu (Touhou series)
Asha (Iji)
Madotsuki (Yume Nikki)

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »

I don't know most of these people, but I do know Madotsuki, and I also know that I will cry if she doesn't make it in.

Actually, the more I think about it the less I think it would work: Madotsuki's main offense in Yume Nikki is the knife. In the Yume Nikki Fighting Game, she has the basic knife attack, double knives, and some sort of knife projectile. Most of her other effects are pretty much useless. The only ones that really affect others is Cat (draw things in) and Stoplight (stops things), neither of which would be very palatable for a fighting game.

...Actually again, you could use Bicycle as some sort of trampling attack. And I there are plenty of moves that can be derived from knives.

So, I don't really know whether it'd be smart to include Madotsuki or not.

I do know that I sort of want her in anyways, because Yume Nikki is pretty awesome and a lot of people don't know about it. Kiss
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:18:05 PM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
falsion
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »

The only characters I really strongly care about just due to sheer awesomeness of the idea alone is Barkley. He would be like the Captain Falcon of this game just due to sheer WTF value alone. Not to mention, I can't wait to pull out a Chaos Dunk on some chumps.

I'd also like to see Sexy Hiker just because it's Jazzuo and Jazzuo is hilarious.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 10:46:24 PM »

I don't really have an opinion about most of these characters, but I am in support of having multiple characters from one game.
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »

Madotsuki- she has enough abilities that could be used as weapons, and Yume nikki is
pretty well known. If she's going to be in it at all, as a playable character would probably be best. She also balances out the gender ratio a little.

I think Touhou should be included too merely because it's so well known. (both these developers are Japanese, though)

Barkley- I can't imagine why he shouldn't be included, and he really has potential to be a great character, for reasons others have stated. although whether or not you'll need permission from Barkley himself is a different story.

I haven't played Sexy hiking, but Sexy Hiker looks like he'll be a "heavy" character, of which there aren't any yet, and he makes me laugh for some reason.

Cabadath's already been started, right? He seems like a TIGBox character to me, though. Asha spends most of his time teleporting, so I think he's more suited to that, too, now I think about it.
Karoshi also doesn't really have enough moves to be a playable character.

I can't speak for the others, as I'm not really familiar with them.
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »

High Tier
--------
-Barkley (Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden)
-Sexy Hiker (Sexy Hiking)
-Madotsuki (Yume Nikki)
-Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress)

Mid Tier
--------
-Akuji The Demon
-Alien Hominid / Blue Knight (Castle Crashers)(Blue Knight would be a breath of fresh air from all of these gun-toting fighters but I think Alien Hominid really represents "indie" more)

Low (not as in they're not good, as in TIGboxer) Tier
--------
-Karoshi
-Cabadath (Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice)(He'd make a good playable character, but we have to restrict ourselves a bit)
-Rilo (Noitu Love 2)(" ")
-Kittey (A Game With A Kitty)
-Asha (Iji)

I Don't Know Who This Is / Don't Have An Opinion Tier
--------
-Reimu (Touhou series)
-Mia (Eternal Daughter)
-Kaltos (The Spirit Engine 2)

Not made in an overly careful order, but this is pretty much how I feel.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:38:41 AM »

--- YES ---

Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress) - he's already coded! It makes me worried that you're even asking about him. Plus he draws in players from a separate fanbase to the other games (i.e. diehard Bay12 members, plus DF is very popular on /v/.)

Sexy Hiker (Sexy Hiking) - He is fairly popular within the Tigsource community, and he represents a side of indie gaming that isn't shown in any of the other characters (then again, Jazzuo has a 'side' all to himself). Most importantly, I think he would make a really interesting character to play because of his 'attack-propelled' movement style.

Barkley (Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden) - Just a cool character.

--- MAYBE ---

Madotsuki (Yume Nikki) - I think she would be really cool to play as, despite her relative obscurity. Anarkex wrote up a really kickin' movelist which involved throwing poo and shooting musical notes, so I don't think 'lack of moves' will be a problem here.

Reimu (Touhou series) - It's fair enough there are SCADS AND SCADS OF FANS of Touhou games, but it seems like the reaction from the Tigforums community has always been lukewarm at best. More importantly, ZUN didn't reply to my email, so you can file this one under "Permission in limbo, probably denied".

Akuji the Demon - I like the game, but it's not too famous, and we would have to stretch things a bit to come up with a complete moveset for him.

Kaltos (The Spirit Engine 2) - I have no opinion on this one, but I know you (Nightshade) are pretty keen on him.

--- NO ---

Bird (An Untitled Story) - I like this game a lot, but I don't think he has a great number of moves.

Cabadath (Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice) - There has already been a bit of work done on him, but I'm wondering if he couldn't be relegated to an assist. I think if we want this game to appeal to a broad range of indie gamers, it's a bit odd to have two characters from the same series.

Blue Knight (Castle Crashers) - I think that the Blue Knight is not particularly iconic since (AFAIK) he's just one member of a team of four.

Kittey (A Game with a Kitty) - I don't think he has very many moves, and generally seems like a pacifist kind of character in the original games (though maybe I didn't get far enough to see his violent side?)

Mia (Eternal Daughter) - Doesn't seem to have enough moves, but again I didn't get very far in this game.

Karoshi - Hard to come up with moves, and it's just against his character to be killing others rather than himself.

Asha (Iji) - Same reasons as Cabadath - I don't think multiple characters from the same game/series is a good idea.

Rilo (Noitu Love 2) - Same reasons again.

Alien Hominid - AFAIK he only has one attack...

--- BONUS ZONE ---

Spelunker (Spelunky) - This is my #1 pick out of all the suggested characters. He's got a good solid set of moves and more importantly: He's really famous! Think of all the manbabies who registered just to sing his praises. Including Spelunker will definitely get people interested who would otherwise have not noticed the game.

I think this is a really good and useful thread!

shig
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 03:13:34 AM »

Reimu (Touhou series) - It's fair enough there are SCADS AND SCADS OF FANS of Touhou games, but it seems like the reaction from the Tigforums community has always been lukewarm at best. More importantly, ZUN didn't reply to my email, so you can file this one under "Permission in limbo, probably denied".
but it seems like the reaction from the Tigforums community has always been lukewarm at best.

It's pretty annoying in my opinion that you guys don't really give importance to including a Touhou character just because you - and by "you" I mean TIGSource as a whole - don't like the whole anime lolis thing( I don't like Touhou either for the same reasons). But we have to be a little more... Professional? About this.
You're not making TIGBrawl. You're making Indie Brawl.

Did you know that Sakurai always hated the DK series? He always said that the only reason in his opinion that the first games were famous were the graphics. Do you think that he would ever think about leaving DK out of Smash Bros. ? Of course not!
It's the same thing, here.
If you want to represent indie gaming you have to represent indie gaming in all it's forms. Even the ones you don't like.

Contrarywise, people are suggesting spending time and effort with a character from a game that is -sorry for that- crappy and that nearly noone outside TIG knows just because it's an in-joke around here. I would totally understand if he were a TIGBoxer or a cameo or something. But not a playable character.
His moveset would also be sort of repetitive and his usefulness would vary A LOT depending on the stage wich isn't a good thing imo.

Karoshi should be this game's magicarp. Just walks around and dies.

And I don't even really know why Dwarf's in this list. Does this mean you are considering not making him a playable character anymore? He does need a lot of tweaking, tho.

I don't know a lot about Madotsuki or how she'd do as a playable character, but Uboa seems to be an internet fad on itself, so I guess it would be great to include it as a TIGBoxer.
godsavant
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 03:36:43 AM »

My preferences for:

Playable Characters

Besides being the popular basketball legend Charles Barkley, he’s got so many moves! If I recall, we had trouble narrowing down his movelist from the profuse selection in the RPG, even when we were struggling to come up with forced offensive moves for the likes of Karoshi.

Madotsuki (Yume Nikki)
Again, so many moves! Admittedly, most of them are nonlethal/useless, but there enough abilities like Lightning Demon, Yuki-Onna blizzard, and Medamude teleportation that a credibile movelist could be made. If we want to capture parts of the Japanese/Wapanese gaming demographic, Reimu and Madotsuki are musts; they are just so iconic. Just search ‘yume nikki’ on dA, you’ll be amazed (around 3 fanarts uploaded per day).

Reimu (Touhou series)
Not only does her shooting/fighting game background provide a wealth of moves to draw from, but her status as a mascot for Touhou and legend amongst anime/gaming communities online can nab us a lot of publicity and popularity in the more hardcore nerd circles.

I'm quite fond of anime lolis, personally.

Why we chose the blue one escapes me at the moment, but considering that Castle Crashers is relatively more well-known (and infinitely more fun) than Alien Hominid, I would vote including this character over the Alien. One character per developer, I recall. Plus, he has more moves.

Spelunker (Spelunky) - This is my #1 pick out of all the suggested characters. He's got a good solid set of moves and more importantly: He's really famous! Think of all the manbabies who registered just to sing his praises. Including Spelunker will definitely get people interested who would otherwise have not noticed the game.

This is a great idea. Indeed, the game has been getting rave coverage from mainstream outlets like PC Gamer, PLAY, and Eegra, plus all those manbabies.  Evil Again, the one-character rule kicks in, though...we might just want to turn a blind eye in this case, he's essentially just a proxy for Lemeza, anyway.

TIGBoxers

Akuji the Demon
Great character with lots of moves, but 1.) he’s not very well-known, and 2.) a lot of people didn’t like his game.

Sexy Hiker (Sexy Hiking)
Not that diverse of a character; most of his moves would revolve around ‘swinging hammer in various ways’, which would be kind of boring. Also, the joke quality of his game might cause some uproar of the “why the fuck was YHTBTR nominated for an award” variety while other, more high-quality games were excluded.

Torn /Unknown

Sounds like a joke character, but I’ll hold off judgement until I know more.

Bird (An Untitled Story)
Same as above.

On one hand, he’s one of the most badass villains in indie gaming, and really helps the currently disproportionate villain-hero ratio…he’s the best option we’ve got. On the other hand, we already have Trilby, most of his moveset would be redundant scythe-swinging/impaling, and he teleports a lot, making him good for the TIGBox effect.

Dwarf (Dwarf Fortress)
Well, he’s already a coded and playable character, but a bit unbalanced, plus nobody seems to want to draw animations for him. If that changes in the future, maybe he’s got a chance.

Who is this guy.

Karoshi
He’d be a terrible player character! He does nothing in his games except die, and finding ways to turn that into an entire movelist of attacks would really be the epitome of contrived character design. I mean, look at his suggested movelist – “Angel”? Where does that even play into any of the Karoshi games?

Asha (Iji)
We need villains badly, and unlike Cabadath, Asha has a full arsenal of gun/sword attacks to turn into a veritable movelist, yet might not be fully expresed through a mere TIGBox cameo. Yet we also have Iji…although ByteJacker’s Indie of the Year should deserve the same multi-character privileges allowed for Cave Story.

Alien Hominid
He’s already been in the NewGrounds mascot fighting game, and after checking his moveset in there, it did not turn out well. He can’t do much but fire in different directions and cut people with his knife, though that might be enough to muster a TIGBox appearance.

Mia (Eternal Daughter)
Never played it, but judging from people’s reactions, she might be a good candidate for TIGBox. Although she competes with Naija for the single-developer position, and we all know Naija’s already finished. Maybe in future editons, we can add her in.

Rilo (Noitu Love 2)
We need villains, but I must say that Rilo is not the prime candidate; she just shoots her gun all over the place, which might work great for the TIGBox but will become tiresome as a playable character.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:51:25 AM by godsavant » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »

You've changed my mind, shig, I think Reimu is a pretty good idea. What I meant with the 'lukewarm reaction' line was that we might not be able to find people interested in doing her sprites. But if that turns out to be a problem we could always try petitioning the Touhou fans for help.
Still a moot point unless we can get permission from ZUN, though!

And Sexy Hiker fucking kicks ass Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:07:28 AM by William Broom » Logged

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 04:34:54 AM »

I think a problem with the whole one character per franchise thing is that it will mean we`ll have no villains. very rarely does a villain represent the series better than the protagonist.

Lo
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic