Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:16:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlSuggested Character Ranking Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Suggested Character Ranking Thread  (Read 22631 times)
godsavant
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »

Would a "one hero, one villain" limit work better? Smiley
shig
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 05:47:28 AM »

We don't HAVE to limit ourselves like this.

But most of the time it's better to stick to having only the most iconic character from each series(not necessarily developer).

And why do we need villains so much, anyways?
godsavant
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 05:56:27 AM »

But most of the time it's better to stick to having only the most iconic character from each series(not necessarily developer).

Well, the original point was to brighten the days of as many developers as possible, but I suppose sticking too rigidly to this philosophy could indeed be irrational.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »

And why do we need villains so much, anyways?
Well, it just would be nice, you know?

Also Touhou and Yume Nikki are probably musts, from what I heard.

Its not selfish by "TIGSOURCE" "as a whole" to have a "lukewarm reaction".
It just means that most people interested in Indie Brawl here (who are individuals, I'd like to point out) mostly haven't played Touhou games and are just not too familiar with them.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 06:39:33 AM »

Just to quell some fears, just because a character is on this list, it doesn't mean that character is going to be included/excluded. The sole criteria for appearing on this list is that I could see arguments for both sides.

I should also mention that virtually all these characters will appear at least as a TIGBoxer. The question is not whether the character should appear at all; it's whether or not the character should be playable.

Thanks for all the useful feedback. I'll post my reactions tonight, after more people have gotten a look at the thread.

Therum
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

Cabadath  - Would be so awesome. He's got cool moves and I think he'd be REALLY fun to play as - the only issue is that, because of Trilby, that would make two characters from the same series. Maybe make him unlockable or something?

Asha - Pretty much the same as Cabadath - Asha would be an absolute blast to play, and I think the game definitely needs him.

I feel like multiple characters from one game should be allowed - someone mentioned Cave Story, and I'm pretty sure Quote and Curly are both in the game (right? not sure, but they should be if they aren't.), and I think that's reason enough to at least have Asha in the game - Iji is one of the biggest recent indie games, so I think it deserves the same privilege. Cabadath is a little trickier, obviously, but I almost think he should be allowed in because of fun playing as him could be.

Bird - I think he should be playable. It might be a little tough to find a moveset, but he's got fireballs, ice-ray-thingy, the divebomb attack, etc - I think he'd make a good addition to the roster - AUS is one of the best indie games around, and I think it deserves representation.

I'd also like to say that whoever suggested the Spelunker has the right idea, and he should definitely be in.

This is probably the wrong place for this, but oh well - what about the character from Glum Buster?
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »

This is probably the wrong place for this, but oh well - what about the character from Glum Buster?
Yeah, it's the wrong place, but he also doesn't really have much in the way of attacks anyway, does he? I think he'd fit in better as a TIGBoxer.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 03:40:34 PM »

Quote and Curly are both in the game (right? not sure, but they should be if they aren't.)
They aren't in the game. Permission was denied because of the Cave Story Wii thing.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »

Kaltos is a great character, and frankly, the only one from that list I'd care about seeing in Indie Brawl. The Spirit Engine 2 is a fantastic (and IMHO, rather underappreciated) indie RPG, and Kaltos has a diverse moveset that would be really interesting to use in a fighting game (Swordfaith, to name one example, would make for a unique vertical attack/jump counter).

Charles Barkley, while he would be funny to have in the game, comes with the attendant risk that the real-life Charles Barkley's lawyers might not find his inclusion very amusing.

What happened to Naija from Aquaria? I thought she was just about complete? Never mind--this thread is just for borderline characters, right?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 04:40:52 PM by Craig Stern » Logged

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »

Charles Barkley, while he would be funny to have in the game, comes with the attendant risk that the real-life Charles Barkley's lawyers might not find his inclusion very amusing.
They didn't seem to mind the RPG. I don't see why they would have a problem with this.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »

True, but why risk it? If Indie Brawl becomes more popular and well-known than Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, it might catch their attention where the previous game didn't.

Shrug

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »

He probably has zero idea of the RPG. I doubt he even touches indie games, much less RPGMaker ones.

But something like Indie Brawl could get very popular, since it's basically fanservice for several audiences, like Smash Bros. Popular enough that Barkley's lawyer might do a simple net search and see the man's likeness on the game and tell Soulliard to get bent.

I feel that while having him playable would be awesome, it's not worth the risks.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
godsavant
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 10:58:57 PM »

*sigh* I admit, after the Cave Story debacle, I have to side with not taking that risk.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:00 AM »

We could pull a street fighter and call him Chrales Backley from Backley: shut up and jam gaiden

Lo
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 06:24:33 AM »

The game won't charge anyone to play it, though. Would that put it under a "fan art" status?
godsavant
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:14 AM »

Or we could just use another character from the game, although Barkley himself is probably the most appealing to mainstream senses.
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 07:08:49 AM »

How about Hoopz?
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »

Can this not be considered parody? As Shut Up and Jam Gaiden was?

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
falsion
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »

Can this not be considered parody? As Shut Up and Jam Gaiden was?

That's what I'm thinking. It's an obvious parody, thus falls under fair use. Doesn't it?

Look at how many flash games there are that feature celebrities. Or even movies for that matter. You don't see the creators of South Park getting sued for making South Park or Team America: World Police.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »

Fair use is a defense to Copyright infringement, but if Barkley sued over this, it would probably be for violation of his right of publicity, which doesn't have such a defense. Look up the Vanna White case if you don't believe me--she sued over an ad that parodied her as a robot still doing Wheel of Fortune in the future, and won. Barkley might also have a common law right to privacy claim for appropriating his likeness.

I'm not saying we'd definitely lose if he sued over it, but it would not be an easy case to win if he did.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic