Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:57:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsModlands devlog - follow the Twitch channel for daily devstreams!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Modlands devlog - follow the Twitch channel for daily devstreams!  (Read 1311 times)
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2021, 04:56:34 PM »

Hey, I'm working on this game Modlands. It's a multiplayer crafting/adventure game where you can go into maker mode at any time and edit the map or change art / add new things.

Right now I'm doing daily devstreams for the upcoming Steam release, and working on a big demo. On Fridays we do MP playtests on Steam w/ me streaming my part on Twitch (twitch.tv/triplejumpgames).

Join the Discord if you'd like to be in the Steam Beta: discord.gg/modlands

« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 06:50:05 PM by triplejump » Logged
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:56:05 PM »

Got skeletons spawning at night and pathfinding to the players, so there'll be some incentive to building a base with defenses Smiley
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 12:24:11 PM »

Tonight we're doing the MP playtest on Steam at 6PM PST!

To join the beta, join the Discord and dm me for a key.
As usual, I'm streaming the server player side during the test, so check out https://twitch.tv/triplejumpgames

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1151577362
Here is a clip from yesterday's devstream, where cats unexpectedly started following me everywhere :D
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 12:58:07 PM »

Added all these gems, craftable wands, turrets, and swords on the devstream last night!
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 04:39:59 AM »

Turrets are all working, and lighting is starting to look good Smiley

Here's a clip of them in action:
turrets
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 03:13:47 AM »

Did a playtest tonight; got gems from the caves to build turrets, and defended a small home w/ them.

You can use Hammers to repair the turrets by hitting them, TF2-style. Smiley
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »

Did a surprise Saturday build for the Steam Beta test, with a bunch of fixes and additions from last night / today:

September 24, 2021
  • fixed: health bar on things that are damaged are playing the health-up effect, bc sign of effective damage was flipped
  • fixed: pickup text doesn't show entire string
  • give trees and flowers a "IsFoliage" flag, and projectiles don't damage foliage by default
  • torches need to have IsLow setting so projectiles don't damage them (same with flowers and signs)
  • shot cooldown tuning on all the turrets
  • added some default sound effects
  • when the hammer heals something, spend durability
  • shift-click on items in inventory trade screen for instant transmission
  • fixed: movement tiles affect things that are not grounded
  • add Height to walls, so we can make low fences that can be shot over
  • setup harvesting verb for trees and bushes
  • setup UseParam field for Use verbs, enabling more complex mod items
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »

Setup an AutoHarvest effect for conveyor belts today, and I'm adding a lot more crops and plants. On the next playtest we will be able to build automatic farms!
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »

Got the ability for tiles and walls to transmit impulses working last night, as well as changing their sprite and triggering functions based on receiving an impulse. Now you can wire up patterns of tiles and blocks that activate stuff. Smiley Going to keep working on this on today's devstream: twitch.tv/triplejumpgames
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »

Adding a crazy amount of new things, as event and trigger systems come together:
* triggerable counters and delay mechanisms
* radios that can transmit signals to each other across a map (create an impulse path over gaps)
* pressure plates - can trigger things on Pressed and Unpressed events
* impulse clocks - generate impulses on a regular tick - hooking them up to some lightbulbs that toggle when they receive an impulse, I made this light array

Gonna brainstorm more things to do with triggers and events on tonight's stream
twitch.tv/triplejumpgames
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »

Setup bump triggers, switches that can toggle circuit-paths from being interacted with or by being hit, and a bunch of other things. Continuing to fill out the mechanical part of the game with dispensers and autocrafters today. Follow the Twitch channel to watch the devstream / give feedback on the game: twitch.tv/triplejumpgames
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 01:06:53 PM »

Got autocrafters working yesterday - now it is possible to make entities that craft any other entity from things in their inventory. Still need to plan what kind of machines will exist in the built-in tech-tree, but I made this impulse-triggered sawmill as an example.

MP playtest tonight at 6pm PST twitch.tv/triplejumpgames
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 05:11:14 PM »

Started working on some Halloween-themed update stuff for this month. At the end of the month, I'm going to add the accumulated Halloween update to the game. It'll include some new gameplay elements as well as a lot of themed items. Smiley
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 08:43:24 PM »

Tonight on the stream: got a Sales Portal working - it converts incoming items that it has prices for into money items. Money will be a stackable entity; that way it can be data-driven and people can create their own currencies.

This week I'm setting up money, so tomorrow I'll setup buy/sell UI for merchants.
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 06:09:56 PM »

I'm getting animated gif loading and exporting working from the in-game animation editor :D

triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 11:14:08 PM »

craftable bench auras and filtering by crafting bench in the UI works now Smiley
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 11:10:09 PM »

Adding the modding tools to the front-end, so you can work on stuff w/o having to be in a session. I've moved things that used to be in separate menus into one mega mod-browser, so it can be a consistent experience wherever you access it.

Starting to work on a .mod package manager - these files can contain any combination of different asset types, and will be how mods are uploaded/downloaded on Steam Workshop.
triplejump
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2021, 10:48:32 AM »

Still workin' on the game, despite not posting for a while. Mostly fixing bugs right now, but I'm also getting status effects working as a data-driven system (in-game editor won't be in for Early Access, but I'm implementing it in a data-driven way so they could be edited/created later).

Atm, status effects appear above the HUD bar and time out with a radial dim. Additional amounts of a status effect can be added to extend its duration, and they can have different decay rates and effects.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic