Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:55:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Demiurges - tactic card game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Demiurges - tactic card game  (Read 890 times)
berih
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2021, 09:46:21 AM »

Hello, my name is Grzegorz and I want to introduce you my project. I have been working at it for 2 years.

Elevator pitch
The Demiurges is about building a deck of cards, developing a town, hiring mighty heroes, exploring a map, and fighting turn-based battles.  

Origin
When I was young I was playing a lot in Heroes of Might and Magic 3. When I grow up I have noticed that now is no game like this soo I have decided to make it by myself. During development, I was changing the main mechanic many times and now it is what it is.

Game loop
For now, the only game mode is duel 1 vs 1.
1. Players select their decks
2. Players towns spawn on the opposite sides of the long map
3. Both players start with 1 hero
4. Player in his move can play as many cards as he wants until he has enough resources. Cards have many effects for example: add units, create a building, add an item, add spell, add exp, etc.)
5. Player can move his hero on the map to collect resources, gather ex points, claim mines, etc.
6. When the player kills a guardian the next part of the map unlock
7. Won the player who will found a holy grail

Some screens from current version

Building creation

Map exploring

Battles

If you want to stay in touch you could subscribe to my mailing list
here

Or you can follow me on Twitter
here

Take care!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 05:06:18 PM by berih » Logged
berih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 03:42:39 PM »

Update 1

Hey,
during the last two weeks, I was focusing more on content than mechanics.

I added a new hero for the enclave faction. His abilities are going to be a combination of demonic force and engineering.

I also created some animations for units

1. upgraded version of still unnamed unit (maybe you can help me to name it).

2. Tank - first ranged unit in this faction.

I need to finish only 2 more units to reach my minimal content target. I hope I will be able to finish it soon Smiley.

Take care
Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:23:59 AM »

I like this, seems like a fresh take, kinda mixing d&d with homm
berih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 04:07:06 PM »

Thanks Smiley Yes, HoMM was my great inspiration.
berih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 03:06:42 AM »

This time I have not much to show because I spend a lot of time on rewrite my battle system. I think that could be interesting for someone who wants to create turn base combat.

Issue
With battle system complexity growth my code starts to be hard to manage. Every unit has its own passive effect that could be triggered in different situations (for example move, attack, get damage, turn start, etc). Also, the passive effect could trigger another passive effect.

Solution
The best solution I was able to think up was to create a dynamic list of battle events. The battle starts with only one event: "StartTurn". This event calculates initiative and selects which unit is next. Also, it adds 3 more events:
- "TriggerPassive(StartTurn)"
- "MoveSelection"
- "TriggerPassive(EndTurn)".
Event "StartTurn" is ending and next event is starting ("TriggerPassive(StartTurn)"). If any unit has a passive set to be triggered by StartTurn next Event is added on begin of the list ("UsePassive"). For example, if two units do sth on the beginning of the turn events list looks like this:
- "UsePassive"
- "UsePassive"
- "MoveSelection"
- "TriggerPassive(EndTurn)".
But passive could trigger other passive. For Example, one unit has a passive to cast a spell at the beginning of the turn and another unit has passive to do sth when other unit cast spell. In this case, "UsePassive" is added at the beginning of the list.

When the events list is empty next turn is starting.

It is a flexible system and a developer could easily add new features without breaking existing code.

Sorry for my English Smiley I hope that will help someone who wants to create their own game.

Take care

Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 06:15:53 AM »

Huge HoMM 3 fan.
Going to follow you on twitter, posting here to be updated on new blogs.

berih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 01:19:07 PM »

Thanks for support Smiley
berih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »

I spent some time rewriting my spell system to make this work with LUA. Now it's more flexible.
berih
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 01:40:20 PM »

Hey,
In my country today we celebrate children's day and because of it, I want to make gift for myself by realizing my childhood dream of releasing my own game. It's still a prototype but I want to collect as much feedback as possible.

You can check it out on my itch.io page
https://berihdev.itch.io/demiurges     
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic