Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:29:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioContrapuntal / Fugal Video Game Music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Contrapuntal / Fugal Video Game Music  (Read 5887 times)
Kinimod
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »

Hi,

I wonder what your opinion on counterpoint and fugue in video game music is. I think that these are very fascinating compositional techniques that don't get used often enough.

The only real example I know is probably "Dancing Mad" from Final Fantasy VI, where it is supposed to create a sort of sacred / churchy vibe, by alluding to JS Bach's organ works.

Do you know any other examples? When do you think is counterpoint / fugue most appropriate in video game music? Have you ever used it yourself?
Chip_Chune92
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 07:38:13 PM »

Actually, its funny you should post this because I'm working on an 8-bit game now like that. The problem I had when I started was the 8-bit game sounds can get very grating, At least for me. I remember playing Pokemon as a kid and the battle music just got to become irritating after a while (even though its great music). So my solution was a heavy counterpoint/ fugato style music that had a lot of changing colors and melody in it, but it hasn't been put in with the game yet so I'm really curious how it will be. I'm almost done with a few of the tracks if you want to hear it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic