Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:38:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAstromeda - Story-driven RPG with unique combat! [WISHLIST ON STEAM!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Astromeda - Story-driven RPG with unique combat! [WISHLIST ON STEAM!]  (Read 12319 times)
Liran
Level 0

Indie game dev working on my dream game Astromeda!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2021, 07:33:05 AM »

ASTROMEDA

Astromeda has a new Steam page and a brand new DEMO! Please check it out and add the game to your wishlist!

Join the Official Astromeda Discord Server

Summary

Astromeda is a turn-based, story-driven RPG with a unique battle system inspired by Undertale, Hollow Knight, Celeste, and more modern indies! It's planned to be released on PC, Nintendo Switch and PS5 in late 2024 or early 2025!
A prophecy was foretold across the Earth. It was said that an asteroid would collide with the planet in the next century. The prophecy, indeed, was true and the asteroid met its fate with Earth, leaving it empty and uninhabitable. After the destruction, a new bacteria was birthed from the ruins of the asteroid. Advanced in size and technology, it had the ability to duplicate itself into enormous numbers. As a result, a new race of thriving bacteria plagued the Earth, forming a peaceful colony. After a millennium, the Earth finally became habitable for human life once again. A group of four humans, sent out on a mission during the previous disaster returns to their home planet but in a terrible twist, crashes upon arrival - not knowing what is in store.

Who made this?

Hello there! I'm Liran and I'm the main creator of Astromeda. I originally decided that I want to make a game of my own after the impact that games like Undertale, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Earthbound, and many more games left on me. I mostly work as a solo dev, but the music for the game is being composed by Eric E. Hache!

What exactly is this game?

In Astromeda, you begin the story as a Human, in a brand new world. You get to interact with the characters and play in a fun turn-based & live-dodging battle system. The battle system is very unique with its combination of traditional RPG-fighting and platformer gameplay. I just launched a big demo for the game that I would like people to try out and leave some feedback on!

What is the point of this Devlog and what are my plans?

I've been working on Astromeda for quite a while now, and I feel like I have enough done to finally start building a community for the game! I'm really excited to share how I make the stuff that I do, and to share the game in general!

What can I play right now & how do I follow the game's development?

You can play the Steam Demo! https://store.steampowered.com/app/2560210/Astromeda/
I worked for over a year on this demo and it contains quite a lot of content!
Key social media links: (press on the images)

Conclusion & final things

Thank you so much for reading this post about my project and you are more than welcome to stay and join the small community of Astromeda! ❤️
Thank you to everyone who was a part of my journey in making the demo!

Please wishlist the game! :
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:16:25 PM by Liran » Logged

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 05:54:12 AM »

DEVLOG #1

• Current goal: Finish a polished demo and with it create a crowdfunding campaign to fund the creation of the full game.

Alright! so this week I finished working on the first part of the demo! Take a look!

After the earth was inhabitable for hundreds of years, a group of four humans (the ones you see here) come back to earth in hopes of finally rebuilding humankind.

They have no clue what is on the planet. Yet, they still believe that returning to it would be the right thing to do.

In a terrible twist, their spaceship malfunctions which leads them to crash on the planet, not knowing what's in store.

So, this is the beginning of the game! It definitely required me to make a bunch of art, and smart coding to make this little scene.

- Now to the more technical stuff for those who like it!
The program I use to make the game is called GameMaker Studio. In it, you can choose how you would want the size of your pixels to be.

Originally, this little bottle you see here rotates when it hits a wall. It also floats to give the player the feel of no gravity. However, when this bottle first started changing its angle (after hitting a wall), the pixels of its sprite kept appearing and disappearing.

That made it look off, so through the power of surfaces, horizontal and vertical angles, and screen ratios I was able to code the sprite to look smooth and not have the literal pixels disappear (lol) like this!

Thank you for reading my devlog! Next week I hope to show you what happened after the crash! Just a few more devlogs and I will finally get to the BATTLE SYSTEM!

Have a great week!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »

DEVLOG #2

• Current goal: Finish a polished demo and with it create a crowdfunding campaign to fund the creation of the full game.

Here are a few screenshots of what I've finished!
After the crash, you find yourself strapped to a bed, about to get your memories deleted by an unknown creature.

However, at the last second, "Per", who is the first character you meet, appears out of the darkness and saves you.

After Per saves you, he tells you to follow him. He will explain to the player what happened and where they are soon.

After you follow him, the ground behind you begins to break as rocks fall on it. This will be an escape scene that I will show you next week! Here's a sneak peek!

Friendly reminder to follow the official Twitter account of the game! https://twitter.com/astromeda_game

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 03:49:13 AM »

DEVLOG #3

These are only screenshots without music, check out the game's Twitter to see a video of the scene!
https://twitter.com/astromeda_game/status/1446796687876497410?s=20

This week I have been working on the next scene in Astromeda which is a running scene from falling rocks!

I Hope you have a nice day!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 05:51:42 AM »

DEVLOG #4

The game's Twitter for full updates: https://twitter.com/astromeda_game

Hi everyone! So here's the next thing I've been working on.

I have been working on a death animation for the player if you get hit by the rocks or fall off the bridge!

If you fall off the bridge from the upper side of it

If you fall off the bridge from the bottom side of it

I Hope you have a wonderful week!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 02:56:03 AM »

DEVLOG #5

This week I've been working on a train station in Astromeda! Here are some of the NPC interactions there!

Here's a cute bench animation!

An interaction with Per!

Next week I will show you the interaction with the ticket seller, oh boy you will be surprised when you see him!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 07:03:05 AM »

DEVLOG #6

Here's the interaction with the ticket seller! It took me quite a while to make his animations, but it was worth it Wink

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 02:58:08 AM »

DEVLOG #7

This week I worked on a train cutscene! Take a look!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 02:31:25 AM »

DEVLOG #8

IT'S FINALLY TIME TO ENTER THE BATTLE SYSTEM OF ASTROMEDA! Here's the first look of the player movement that I've been working on!

It took me quite a while to make these animations! hehe. It was worth it though! I think they came out pretty smooth

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 02:22:56 AM »

DEVLOG #9

I finished making the background for the battle system with more new animations!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 02:36:00 AM »

DEVLOG #10

Yay! We have reached the 10th Devlog!
Okay, so I've got some exciting things this time around. I've been working on the animations for the enemy's attacks!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 09:53:25 AM »

This looks/sounds cool!

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »

Nice devlog layout. Like it, looks cool. Though Per's a little bit weird? What's he wearing?

Edit: Oh, is per the fox? Front and back view looks nice, but he looks like a bald man (wearing a dress?) side view.

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 05:40:49 AM »

This looks/sounds cool!
Thank you so much! I really put many hours every day into Astromeda and reading this really motivates me more than I already am! I hope you have a fantastic day! ❤️

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 05:51:50 AM »

Nice devlog layout. Like it, looks cool. Though Per's a little bit weird? What's he wearing?

Edit: Oh, is per the fox? Front and back view looks nice, but he looks like a bald man (wearing a dress?) side view.
Thank you for the kind words! About Per (you learn this in the game hahaha), basically in the world of Astromeda, after the asteroid hit the earth, an alien bacteria that it carried ended up on the surface of the planet after the explosion. That bacteria began to grow in size and developed a mind of its own, duplicating itself to enormous sizes. That caused the birth of a new race of bacteria on the earth. While playing the game you realize that the newly born race is actually quite similar to humans in many ways. Now how does this relate to Per? Well, some bacteria ended up absorbing DNA from animals as they grew. Per was one of them, and he absorbed the DNA of a fox. (You were right on that part! :D). About his outfit, I don't want to spoil his backstory, but he always wears a black hat and has fur on most of his body. His clothing is not completely human-like but he has some kind of a cool dress that fits him hahaha Wink

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 02:47:53 AM »

DEVLOG #11

Okay! On the last few devlogs I've shown you how the enemies' attack look, now take a look at the battle screen for the player!

Keep in mind that the player's name will be shown near the player's level. (Left to the E.Lv 1)

Next devlog I will show you the attack animations I made for the player!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 06:00:01 AM »

DEVLOG #12

Here are the attack animations for the player that I've been working on!

Here's an example of a critical hit!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2021, 05:42:38 AM »

DEVLOG #13

OKAY! Now that I have shown you a little bit of the battle system itself, here's how the battle encounters look!

Liran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2021, 07:06:30 AM »

DEVLOG #14

Alrighty! This week I have started working on a new DASH mechanic for the battle system! It's not complete yet, but here's a little visual view of how it looks so far

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2021, 05:43:06 AM »

The battle system is unique. Mixing platformer and rpg is interesting.
I'll keep an eye on your devlog.
Keep it coming!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic