Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1395992 Posts in 67324 Topics- by 60456 Members - Latest Member: Mersy

October 19, 2021, 04:27:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[HTML5] Okashi Very Early Alpha
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [HTML5] Okashi Very Early Alpha  (Read 236 times)
manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2021, 01:14:36 AM »

Link to itch.io page: https://manabreak.itch.io/okashi-alpha

I'm working on this physics-based puzzle game, and I'd love to hear your feedback and critique! The build on itch.io is a very early alpha build, and is lacking in... well, pretty much everything. It has about a dozen or so levels for now, with 100 levels being the target for launch.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 07:24:07 AM »

its a little disorienting to rotate the entire level, and the rotation felt a bit sluggish. In the second level it was not too difficult to get the character onto the platform, but then getting him to stop rolling around was super unpleasant. If there was a divot in the level that would help but it seems like you have to still the balls and that's annoying.

MMSTeam
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 08:09:25 AM »

The puzzles were fun to solve and the presentation is very appealing, especially the transition between levels.

- Level 2 does feel a bit out of place in terms of pacing, as the other stages are much quicker to complete, and balancing on the center platform can take some finesse. Its a fun level to play, but perhaps could be used later.

- Certain stages can get rather wacky with the amount of gray obstacle guys that fill the stage, and I found myself wishing I had a retry button to start fresh again

- The rotation is a little jarring because the background remains at a constant angle. If you had a solid color background or if it rotated along with the player's inputs, it would be less confusing

Plenty to be done, but it was still an enjoyable compact experience!
manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 09:10:22 AM »

Thanks for testing the game!

I've gotten a lot of replies about the second level, and I've tried out a few options. It feels like removing the "goal timer" altogether is the way to go. This means that it's enough to just touch the pink ball and the level is immediately completed - no need to balance about for three seconds. I also made some of the animations a bit faster. The level rotation is also a tad faster now.

Regarding retry button, that is already on my to-do list. I haven't touched the HUD stuff yet, but it'll get there.

I'll have to think about the feel of the rotation. I get what you mean when you say it's jarring - it was even worse when I had a different background with parallax effects on. I'll have to test if rotating the background along with the camera works. The adjustments to rotation speed helps a bit I think, and I also made the camera's rotational lerping a lot faster, so it doesn't feel so sluggish trying to match the actual orientation of the level.

From the very first build, I've added three new mechanics (lasers, patrols and keys'n'doors), with 22 levels total now (with a target of 100 levels until I'd consider this game "done"). I'll be releasing a new build (hopefully) tomorrow to itch.io. I'll try to address all the feedback I have received so far.

I'll keep this thread updated as I release new builds for playtesting. Thanks a lot!
jbarrios
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 08:38:02 AM »

Hey manabreak,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 10:08:25 PM »

Hey manabreak,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

Thanks so much for doing this! Really, really helpful stuff to see someone play through the levels and think out loud. Also, awesome to hear that you see potential in this game and that the pacing seems to work. Smiley

Your critique about the blocks getting "stuck" or not moving to their slots at times is something I've seen as well. Will have to think about some kind of "invisible snapping" mechanism to make it a bit easier while still allowing them to cruise over the slots if their velocity is high enough.

I released a new build now, with over 20 levels and new mechanics introduced, as well as changes in controls and look'n'feel. Give it a try at itch.io: https://manabreak.itch.io/okashi-alpha
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic