Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:54:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Are you struggling with art?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Are you struggling with art?  (Read 6775 times)
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »

So I've been thinking a lot lately about what is holding artists back. I find that often you don't need to improve your technical ability, like drawing or sculpting to make more appealing art. It boils down very much to things like picking better colors and learning about composition.

Are you an artist feeling stuck or a programmer that want to be able to make art for your own projects?

I would be really curious to hear what you have found hard. What you did to improve. Or what you're still struggling with. What is it that you want to achieve?

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 06:26:11 AM »

Just FYI, the idea that art must somehow be "better" by choosing better colors or improving technical ability is antithetical to my approach to the medium.

In order to become "good" at art the trick is to enjoy making it and to make it every day. The technique will come eventually. And if you get bogged down in worrying about competing with some ideal that other people have put in your head you will never have a single bit of fun making art.

Feenicks
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 03:11:44 PM »

Wait, improving your color choices and ability to compose pictures isn't considered improving your technical skills?

As for needing to draw every day in order to improve, I'd agree with a caveat attached. It's very easy to get yourself stuck in a rut when doing things daily, and sometimes you need to step back and figure out exactly where you want to improve before you start enjoying drawing certain things again.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 11:27:49 PM »

you're missing the big picture:

if all you want to do is "improve" you will not have fun.

if you are not having fun, you will not improve.

Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 05:47:41 AM »

you're missing the big picture:

if all you want to do is "improve" you will not have fun.

if you are not having fun, you will not improve.

Thank you for pointing this out. You helped me see a flaw in my logic.

Although, you're more likely to have fun if you're in that sweet spot of challenge and knowledge. Which puts you in a situation where you might improve. Probably not very encouraging for most people to do something with the sole-purpose of improving though. Myself included.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 06:04:04 PM »

My way is not the only way, there are phenomenal artists who will make something and think its very bad even though everyone loves it. Van Gogh said that Stary Night was a failure and he made it in a mental institute because he was so disturbed by his own artistic process. He is considered one of the greatest artists though. Lots of times the biggest art awards go to people who suffered for their art and if you had fun making the project its considered a lesser work.

However, form my way of thinking, most humans live for 70 or so years, if it takes you 10 years to master drawing is that so bad? Only if the 10 years was a miserable self loathing experience where you think your technique sucks and you aren't enjoying what you make. Art is fun, to me at least.

sophieER
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 03:29:51 PM »

My struggle with art is that I seem to have stopped generating new ideas. Everything I create is somehow very similar to one another. Maybe it's the tiredness and I need to go on vacation.
Indiana-Jonas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 01:05:32 AM »

My struggle with art is that I seem to have stopped generating new ideas. Everything I create is somehow very similar to one another. Maybe it's the tiredness and I need to go on vacation.

What is the similarity?

Maybe there's something to it, doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 08:34:46 AM »

To a large extent almost all creative works are derivative in some way, the art we tend to love the most wields a lot of great art's innovations correctly to express a combination of logic and emotion that is greater than the sum of the parts involved.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic