Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:14:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeed help with UI design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help with UI design  (Read 3156 times)
chaikadev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:31:47 AM »

I need help with two UI design issues for a game I'm working on.

First issue:

The element highlighted in red sorts the inventory (everything, weapons, consumables, quest items, etc.). I'm not sure with which element in green I should align the element highlighted in red. Left or right?

Second issue:

https://files.catbox.moe/q9t7p0.png (link because the image is big)

I'm not sure if whether to use a flat style for the window border like on the left or a style like on the right.

Personally I think flat (left) looks better, but right feels more cohesive with the rest of the UI assets I'm using. For example, the HUD looks like this -> https://files.catbox.moe/wzw4is.png

Should I edit all the UI assets to match the flat style of the left, or stick with the right? What do you think would look best?

Thank you for reading my ramble on this project and let me know what you think! :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:02:08 AM by chaikadev » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 06:15:17 AM »

The first issue doesn't have an objective answer.

For the second issue, repetition is thought to be more appealing. But the two images are so similar to me, I don't know why it'd be difficult to make a choice.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:00:03 AM »

To the first issue, presuming that I'm correct in reading the scroll-bar on the left of the window as being associated with the item-view, I think that I prefer the left-hand alignment. Not only is it centred in the window, but it's also centred on the overall item-view (i.e. including the scroll-bar).

To the second issue, I'm inclined to agree that the right-hand (i.e. non-flat) set of UI elements is more in keeping with the rest of the UI.

But as to which to choose... I don't think that either is strictly better in and of itself. I do think that there's something to be said for consistency between UI elements, however.

chaikadev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 03:31:04 AM »

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic