Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:54:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMissing Mildred - 2D platformer with teleportation and skateboard-features
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Missing Mildred - 2D platformer with teleportation and skateboard-features  (Read 817 times)
JohannesID
Level 0

Johannes

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2021, 02:35:13 AM »

Once there was a cat and a dog.
One day the cat went missing, and the rodents began to roam the house.
As a detective, you start to track down your friend.

<- the cat

Trailer:

Download:
https://johannesid.itch.io/missing-mildred

-Compatible with PS4- and Xbox-Controller

Some of the mechanics:

Shootable objects

Teleport stone

Mouse gameplay

Let me know what you guys think!

Best regards
Johannes

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 03:41:08 AM by JohannesID » Logged
TheSneaK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 10:44:56 PM »

Here is some feedback for you!   Beer!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 07:28:44 PM »

Hey JohannesId,

I played your game and recorded my thoughts:

JohannesID
Level 0

Johannes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »

Thank you for playing and giving such great feedback videos!
Just want to let you know that a new version is available on the itch-site.

One main adjustment is an increasement of the dead space on the analog sticks, pointed out by TheSneak
I also remade the stone sprites from scratch, including new patricle effects  Who, Me?

Another thing I want to point out is that you can disable shadow and rain effects via the paus menu if you experience low frame rate.

Thanks again for playing!

Regards
Johannes

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 12:31:49 PM »

I liked the description: “2D platformer with teleportation and skateboard-features”. It’s simple and clearly tells what to expect. Only downside is that it doesn’t bring up the puzzle aspect.

The game itself is a good combination of puzzles and boss fights. Game mechanics are few and easy to learn, but they are well utilized: there's a large variety of puzzles and gameplay features from accurate jumping to plain shooting. There’s also surprisingly few places of frustration: controls are good (well, grabbing ropes requires too precise timing for me) and checkpoints are well placed, so there's no need to repeat things over and over.

All in all, I didn’t find any major flaws, so it’s hard to find any complaints. But I’ll try.
- Graphics obviously aren’t finalised yet. Everything is evidently copied from various sources, so the game lacks uniform style. Sometimes it is hard to tell platforms from backgrounds, and pushable and breakable tiles look too alike in some monitors.
- Music, on the other hand, is consistently catchy and fun, although a bit repetitive. Perhaps you could change the theme inside a level also. It was a refreshing surprise, when the music paused for a while after the spider boss.
- The plot isn’t very compelling, and it doesn’t seem to affect the gameplay. I hardly followed it at all.

When it comes to game-mechanics, the game actually seems pretty ready. Thanks to the save-feature, it is easy to come back from time to time. Good work.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
JohannesID
Level 0

Johannes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »

I liked the description: “2D platformer with teleportation and skateboard-features”. It’s simple and clearly tells what to expect. Only downside is that it doesn’t bring up the puzzle aspect.

Thank you very much! I'm glad that you seemed to enjoy it Smiley
I'll definitely agree with you on the graphic aspect.  I think that's the part in the developing process that I had the most struggle. My goal for now is to finish the game with a final boss, ending etc. Then go over the whole game and simply reduce the number of colors on each sprite and tile set. That way I think the style will be atleast i little more consistent.

I made a prototype in GIMP on how the result could look like with less number of colors:

Regarding the plot, I went for a simple Mario style kind of story :D "save the princess!", or as in this case: "Find the cat!"
However! It's kind of temping to create these background stories for the characters, but I'm trying to keep them outside of the game, to avoid it from getting in the way of the gameplay. But if you like to you can read some boss-lore on my website: https://missingmildred.com/lore
(thanks to my brother in law who wrote them, I think they're kind of funny)

Thanks again for the feedback Smiley
If you like to, follow my facebook page for updates! https://www.facebook.com/gaming/MissingMildred

Best regards
Johannes
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic