Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:11:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPS2 recommendations
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PS2 recommendations  (Read 9453 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »

So guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Getting a PS2 soon and I wanna pick some good games for it. I wanna know which ones would you guys recommend. I take anything that isn't a mind-droning button masher or a racing/sports game cause I hate those.

Thanks a lot. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Headmade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 04:54:44 PM »

I'm in pretty much the same situation. I'll get a PS2 for christmas (hopefully). This are the games I have had an eye on for quiet some time:

Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Okami
Rez
Katamari Damacy
Bully/Canis Canem Edit

Those are the games I will definety pick up. I'm sure there are other interesting games, but I can't think of any atm. Will add more later.

Also there is Psychonauts but this one is available for PC as well so you might have played it already (I did). Same applies to Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit and Beyond Good & Evil.

Games I'm interested in but don't know enough about to really recommend them:
Killer7
Disagea
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Front Mission 4 (just because the SNES and PSX versions were awesome, don't know anything about the game really)
Harvest Moon (same reason as Front Mission really)
Graffiti Kingdom
Dog's Life (smell-o-vision sound interesting)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:26:15 PM by Tinarg » Logged
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »

Bombastic and Technic Beat are my recommendations.  Bombastic is a puzzle game based on dice.  You have a grid with all kinds of dice scattered across it.  They all have different numbers facing up.  You have to turn one of these die across the grid, one square at a time, and have it so that the number you want ends up where you want it.  You have to match 3 3's together, 4 4's, etc... but you can keep building on them into however far you can take it.  It gets pretty exciting.  It's hard to start with, but once it clicks mentally, it flows.  I prefer the PSOne rules (this is a sequel to a PS1 game), as the new one added bombs.  That made the game messier than it had to be.  The original was beautiful in its simplicity.  It's like when they added bombs to Tetris.  It's also got 5 player multiplayer, and a puzzle mode, where you have to complete puzzles in a certain number of turns.

Technic Beat is a music game with all kinds of music from oldschool to recent Namco games.  It's also got a lot of original music by some of my favorite game musicians.  It's not like other music games because it's more action based.  You can change the way the melody plays depending on how you play.  Also, it's two players co-op or VS.  You can also try your hand at controlling two characters with one controller.  Each character has different play-styles, and are far from just being visual.  This is one of my favorite music games ever.  Partially because it's not a complete slave to a script, like other music games.  It uses music scripts alright, but it gives you enough freedom so it feels like you're actually playing a game.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »

Harvest Moon (same reason as Front Mission really)
The PS2 Harvest Moon is by far the worst in the series.
Don't do it!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Eden
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 06:05:34 PM »

Shadow of Memories (Shadow of Destiny in US) looks rather interesting. I haven't played it though. Clysm (aka Wourme) likes it though.
rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 06:11:57 PM »

Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Okami
Rez
Katamari Damacy
Bully/Canis Canem Edit

all great suggestions! I agree with all of em, and in most cases, those games are going pretty cheap too, either used or brand new (except for Rez). Shadow and Bully are greatest hits.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps2/2007/09/best-cheap-playstation-2-ps2-games.html

also has a good list of ps2 games to get a collection going.

cheers, rey-o
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 08:29:48 PM »

Even if you're not a fan of the series I liked FF12 better than most RPGs in a long time, it's pretty different from the rest of the series in that the main challenge is in customizing your party's AI through a custom-AI system. If you are a fan of RPGs though the best I've played on the PS2 is Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, although only get that if you like hardcore RPGs with lots of random battles and leveling. Metal Gear Solid 3 is also a great game if you liked the others in the series. Resident Evil 4 is also pretty good, though different from the other games in the series it was still my favorite of all the RE games.

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:02:58 PM »

Red Faction 1+2
Disgaea 1+2
Monster Hunter
Battlefield 2
Drakengard 1+2 (button masher RPG)
Beyond Good & Evil
Kingdom Hearts 1+2
Soul Calibur 3
Final Fantasy 10+12
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Huitar Hero 1+2

The artist formally known as "Javet."
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:27 PM »

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Tr00jg
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »

Awesome thread. I am also getting a PS2 soon! My first game is going to be Ico. Smiley
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 12:17:34 AM »

Shadow of Memories (Shadow of Destiny in US) looks rather interesting. I haven't played it though. Clysm (aka Wourme) likes it though.

I played SoD/SoM... It'^s very very awesome. Cheesy at first, but so intriguing later on. There are many endings, and the mechanics/story are awesome. Also, I recommend God Hand.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 01:48:53 AM »

Tomb Raider Legend was actually a really good game for the PS2.

I thought Prince of Persia Sands of Time was an excellent game as well.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was a fun game (Hulk Smash Everything)

Shadow of the Colossus goes without mentioning...

Okami is a great game (I am totally stoked that it is coming out for the Wii)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:00:24 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 02:07:24 AM »

If you can find it, and you like old-school rock-hard games, Contra: Shattered Soldier is pretty awesome.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 03:24:33 AM »

I think my favourite PS2 game is Way Of The Samurai. It's an awesome RPG sword fighting game with multiple endings. You have to go around and talk to people at different times of day to find out what happens and who is good and who is evil. To really enjoy the game you have to play through multiple times to get new swords and power them up, and to explore different branches of the storyline. The music is tremendous and there's plenty of humour and atmosphere. I highly recommend it.

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 03:38:06 AM »

A used copy of Rez will run you $40 at least, but it looks amazing.  Word is that it's being ported/updated by its original creator for XBLA though.

@doomlaser, mark johns
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »

Really? That's awesome. I first played it long after I owned a Wii, and obviously my first thought was "drawing stuff? Where's my Wiimote?!"

olücæbelel
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »

God Hand - awesome 3d brawler (also the hardest game ever)
Odin Sphere - worth playing just for the visuals, fun too
Katamari Damacy, We Love Katamari
If you like fighting games, King of Fighters 2006 is a PS2 exclusive and one of the best 3d fighters.

Dannobot on Twitter
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 09:44:43 AM »

I think my favourite PS2 game is Way Of The Samurai.
I might have to check that one out.  Does it play at all like Bushido Blade?

Dannobot on Twitter
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 10:07:11 AM »

Man, I totally forgot about Way of the Samurai.

Love the part when you get to fight like a hundred guys.

I heard it was very similar to Bushido Blade combat wise actually...

Really? That's awesome. I first played it long after I owned a Wii, and obviously my first thought was "drawing stuff? Where's my Wiimote?!"

Yep, they just announced it recently apparently Smiley
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:09:13 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »

I agree with the recommendation of Ico: it's the singlemost must-see title.

Silent Hill 2 (and 3, but not 4) -creepy, distrubing, genious
Project Zero/Fatal Frame (all) -cute & scary
GTAIII -a masterpiece (never mind the sequels or the clones)
Tekken Tag Tournament (fun for couples! Smiley )

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic