Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:49:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPS2 recommendations
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: PS2 recommendations  (Read 9444 times)
Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 05:17:10 PM »

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Without a doubt my favourite game of all time. It's pretty much an anime movie-series as a game, and is just superb throughout. From the kickass mechs, the great characters and ridiculous visuals it's all just so good. Also lovable for the heteromogenous diegesis between the 3D Action world of the mecha and the 2D anime world of the characters. If you're into giant robots and such, it's pretty damn perfect.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2007, 03:24:42 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check some of those out. Unfortunately the memory card I got with the PS2 was fucked up and all my saves would get corrupted, so I'll have to wait till at least tomorrow to really play the game I got.

My brother got himself God of War and Winning Eleven.
My sister got Kingdom Hearts.
I went for one advice from here and got myself Shadow of the Colossus. Planning on also getting Okami and Rez. Maybe later I'll get Beyond Good & Evil.

I'm gonna research a bit into that God Hand one and a couple others I never heard of before. Thanks guys, but keep'em coming anyway. Wink

Also, it would be great if you guys could recommend some more good hotseat multiplayer games.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 03:56:15 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007, 04:04:54 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check some of those out. Unfortunately the memory card I got with the PS2 was fucked up and all my saves would get corrupted, so I'll have to wait till at least tomorrow to really play the game I got.

My brother got himself God of War and Winning Eleven.
My sister got Kingdom Hearts.
I went for one advice from here and got myself Shadow of the Colossus. Planning on also getting Okami and Rez. Maybe later I'll get Beyond Good & Evil.

I'm gonna research a bit into that God Hand one and a couple others I never heard of before. Thanks guys, but keep'em coming anyway. Wink

Also, it would be great if you guys could recommend some more good hotseat multiplayer games.
TimeSplitters 3! Insanely good hotseat FPS fun.
Burnout 3 is a really good arcadey racer, with some really fun multiplayer.

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 05:33:18 PM »

Cookies & Cream for the PS2 is the greatest hotseat multiplayer game ever.  It's a 2 player split-screen platformer game, like both players have to work together to solve all the puzzles and advance through the levels.  Unfortunately, it's a little bit old, so it might be hard to find.

Dannobot on Twitter
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2007, 05:40:36 PM »

Dragon Quest VIII is pretty amazing if you like jRPGs
pkt-zer0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2007, 06:39:24 PM »

I haven't seen Culdcept recommended yet, which is a seemingly odd cross between Magic: The Gathering and Monopoly - and despite all that, a great game. This one's still 2D, as opposed to a later incarnation, which is for the better.

In case Japanese-only games would be acceptable, I highly recommend the Tales of Destiny remake, because holy crap, is it awesome (wait until the Director's Cut comes out, though). One of the few action-RPGs that have managed to find a proper balance between the action and the RPG, I believe. Player skill, tactics, and equipment are equally important to success. Multiplayer up to four players in battles which is, needless to say, great fun, if you know what you're doing. Furthermore, it also has Barbatos. If you don't know who that is, all I can say is BURUAAAAA!!

Furthermore, hi. Will post in the introduction thread later, when it's not 3AM, and then I may or may not sound less like a raving lunatic.
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »

I think that ICO is the best game for PS2 (and the best game of its console generation). Shadow of the Colossus is very good, too.

Katamari Damacy is essential. Rez, too.

R-Type Final and Gradius V are both excellent, if you like scrolling shooters.

Steambot Chronicles (a.k.a. Bumpy Trot) is an adventure game by Irem that I like a lot.

Shadow of Destiny has already been mentioned. In it, you travel through time to prevent your own murder. And the game has no combat at all.

Finally, Silent Hill 2 if you like disturbing things that kind of make you think, and Silent Hill 4 and Fatal Frame if you like scary things.

PS2 also has some good tactical RPGs--my favorites are Growlanser: Generations and Phantom Brave.

some more good hotseat multiplayer games.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is a great 2-player cooperative game--probably my favorite one since Secret of Mana. It reminds me of the old Gauntlet games (not the 3D ones, which I dislike).
Xotes
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 01:18:50 AM »

What, no Ratchet and Clank?  Undecided Great game series, it is. Should be nice and cheap too, now. Same goes for Jak and Daxter, and Disgaea.

“I have brought you T, Master. It took quite a lot of searching on your Galaxy’s non-holographic communications network, but no man is beyond the reach of a Sith.”

Meanwhile, poor Mr. T was left to hang upside down in the middle of the room, informing us that we were both fools, to be pitied.
Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »

Pikmin!
(if you don't mind sadistically mistreating little cute minions)

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

Pikmin!
That's... Gamecube only.
Though, it is the most awesome thing ever.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
nunix
Level 1

This space intentionally left blank.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

Absolutely amasing RPG. It's designed to be replayed many times to dig up all the story bits, which are sad and inspiring and human. One of those (anymore) rare games where saving the world is NOT the objective, and the whole thing is better for it.

This is the fifth game in the "series"; it's something like your Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest games, where the series has the name attached, but there is no storyline linking the games. BOF's claim to fame is always having the protagonist and second main characters named Ryu and Nina, respectively, by default; and Ryu turns into a dragon. (In this game, 5, the transformation is the most subdued, but doesn't suffer at all for it)

Mm. It's actually pretty hard for me to do a recommendation for this without just freaking out and going into ridiculous detail.

Also, get a copy of SSX 3. INCREDIBLY fun snowboarding game. The earlier games are a little unrefined, the later games went off and got retarded. 3 is the cream o' da crops.

Michaël Samyn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2007, 12:37:28 AM »

Oops.  Embarrassed

Tale of Tales now creating Sunset
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2007, 08:34:33 AM »

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I really need a kind of hotseat game in the style of some Nintendo games, you know, the kind that you can just pop it in and start gaming with a buddy immediately and without commitment (like needing the second player to finish a whole campaign or story).

Seems like the PS2 isn't known for having 'fun for the whole family' styled games. Guess that's Gamecube territory.

Unless you count fighting games.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2007, 08:48:21 AM »

I think my favourite PS2 game is Way Of The Samurai.
I might have to check that one out.  Does it play at all like Bushido Blade?

It's not that similar actually; although there are some one-hit kills it'll generally be you pulling them off on other people rather than the other way around. There are some rules about not attacking people unless they attack you or something - I can't remember what good this does for you.

It's seriously awesome and mainly because of its scope - the much larger sequel is barely enjoyable and I didn't bother to complete it. Although there is one bit where a guy goes "Would you mind if I were to expound upon the details of (such and such tutorial)" and the player may respond with "By all means, expound.". That's great!

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2007, 03:27:03 PM »

Trying to think of great multiplayer games on the PS2 I came up a little short. One great game I remember though was 'Mashed', it's a micro-machine style game where you race around with small vehicles picking up weaponry and blasting each other across the track, although a little more realistic in a sense. You use machine guns and rocket launchers as opposed to giant hammers. That supported 4-player which really made it.

The problem with the PS2 was that 4-player required someone to own a multi-tap, and it had to be a PS2 multi-tap as well. Which really overcomplicated things. And as such you don't get an awful lot of party games on the system. Back to regular single-player stuff though, God Hand also gets my vote as I'm feeling fairly nostalgic and it's my game of the year for absolutely no reason beyond 'I really like punching midget super heroes in the face 100 times in 10 seconds'.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2007, 04:51:26 PM »

I'd go with 2 player games.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2007, 06:05:53 PM »

Final fantasy X. It has more of that crucial FF7 feeling than XII, by a long way. It's worthy trying XII though, just to taste the possibilities for the genre. That game is the definition of missed opportunity.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2007, 04:19:44 AM »

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Armored Core (although I am a UK spelling elitist, I seem to remember that even the UK versions miss out the essential 'u'). In particular, Armored Core 2 is probably the only game ever with a decent length single-player campaign that I managed to beat simply by going to a friend's house lots and lots, and pushing him off it to play it myself. Tongue

olücæbelel
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »

Good coop multiplayer exists in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I & II and related games.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 07:10:45 AM »

Is there anything on the order of a Worms game for the platform? That was a hit on the 360 here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic