Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1397321 Posts in 67457 Topics- by 60681 Members - Latest Member: benchmarkses

December 07, 2021, 11:18:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFarkeep - ⚔️ A Modern Zelda-like
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Farkeep - ⚔️ A Modern Zelda-like  (Read 498 times)
sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2021, 10:58:26 AM »

So a life-long dream ever since I played Zelda: Link to the Past has been to do a modern take on the retro Zelda-concept. You might ask what exactly I mean with it, so here are my personal definitions (you might agree or disagree with them):

What is the Zelda-concept?

The Zelda-concept overall is having a large world where you can pretty much roam around as you wish, but the manner in which you make new areas accessible is relatively linear. For example, you might find a road blocked by large stones. Later in a dungeon, you find a power glove that makes you able to lift heavy objects. You go back to that blocked road and sure enough, you're able to lift the stones and get access to a new area in the game world.

A second large part is to have a big focus on systemic gameplay. Puzzles should not be scripted, but rather data-driven. This makes the player able to solve a puzzle with their own intuition and reasoning (maybe in an entirely new way than was planned), rather than trying to find the linear path the scripter has setup for them.

What is the RETRO Zelda-concept?

The retro Zelda-concept of games like Link to the Past is firstly to have minimal direct communication with the player. If we bring back the earlier mentioned power glove example; when you find the power glove later, the game would NOT tell you specifically that you can now go back and lift those stones blocking the road. It would rather respect the player's problem solving capabilities and leave that connection for the player themself to figure out. Of course, this puts more responsibility on the player which they may or may not enjoy. However, the excitement is arguably better when the player figures it out on their own.

Secondly, fast responsive gameplay with NO lock-on targeting. In a 3D gameplay environment, it's a fully understandable necessity to have lock-on controls. This is another taste area, but I really enjoy games which takes as little control of the player character as possible. For example, I love that I can jump around on the NPC's heads during a cutscene in Half Life 2. I also love in Link to the Past that I can strike an enemy in one direction and in an instant turn around to block a projectile from a flanking enemy.

What is Farkeep then?

So we took these Zelda concepts and modernized them. In order to avoid needing a lock-on targetting system, we stayed 2D, but we're making it more sexy. We're combining 3D shading, volumes and physically based rendering with the pixel art. We have also brought in other inspirations like Hyper Light Drifter, Undertale and Hammerwatch into the pot.

Some things we're going for
  • PC friendly: Many games in this genre overlook PC controls and only focus on hand-controllers. We make it so you can interact with the UI and look around with your mouse, and move with WASD. Of course, we're adding controller support as well but want to make sure we nail how it plays on PC.
  • Map editor: What happened with map editors in games? Literally biggest reason I'm here now is because of that awesome Warcraft 3 editor back in the day. We want to make it cool again to ship games with map editors so we're also aiming to release our world editing tool with the game.
  • Top tier immersion: We want dynamic depth in the scene for awesome immersion. When you light a fire, you actually light up the walls and area around the player. It's not just a 2D shader on top of the screen.

Some technical details
  • The engine is written in C# with .NET 5 (soon 6) and MonoGame
  • FMOD is used for sound
  • The world editor is written with WPF

I'll be posting updates when there's cool stuff or features to share

Discord
Twitter

Early screenshots
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 11:07:43 AM by sambloom » Logged
ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »

Looks interesting! I'll have my eye on this one.

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »

Same. Real cool.

Why can't pirates code in lua? Because they spend to much time at C!

-How to be saved
Ramos
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 01:38:34 PM »

Hey Sambloom,

I will be totally honest, as a player, I am not into Zelda like gameplay.

But as a developer I am very interested in this concept and very familiar with it, I read a lot about it and saw many documentaries about Zelda gameplay/core pillars and I find them very intriguing.

In addition to this, I must say your pixel art is Godlike level.

I am very curious about how your creation will evolve.
 Gentleman

oldblood
Level 9

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »

Just chipping in to say the early screenshots look amazing. Looking forward to seeing more!

sambloom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 08:15:18 AM »

Looks interesting! I'll have my eye on this one.
Same. Real cool.
Just chipping in to say the early screenshots look amazing. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks a lot! I'll keep everyone updated Beer!

I will be totally honest, as a player, I am not into Zelda like gameplay.

But as a developer I am very interested in this concept and very familiar with it, I read a lot about it and saw many documentaries about Zelda gameplay/core pillars and I find them very intriguing.

Understandable, nice to hear it's still interesting from a gamedev point of view!
vdapps
Level 3

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »

Interesting! Very nice and easy to digest introduction to what game will be alike in the first post.

Screenshots look great, I quickly checked your Twitter where you have also animations and animated it looks even better. It's really modern touch to SNES like classic look.

Igor Sandman
Level 0

Artist and Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 02:10:03 AM »

The colors in your screenshots are awesome and so is the lighting.
Big fan of zelda style games. I'll keep an eye on this.

nathy after dark
Level 6

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »

I like the art and I like Zelda-style games. Following!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic