Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:57:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpiders Everywhere - side-scrolling jump and run and ... action!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Spiders Everywhere - side-scrolling jump and run and ... action!  (Read 1944 times)
Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2021, 02:13:45 PM »

THIS IS THE VERY FIRST LITTLE ADVENTURE OF LIL BABY POOP.

HELP HIM THROUGH HIS NIGHTMARE BY AVOIDING OR DESTROYING ALL SPIDERS!

IT'S A CUTE SIDE-SCOLLING RUN 'N GUN ACTION GAME IN A VINTAGE RUBBERHOSE CARTOON STYLE.

IT ONLY HAS ONE LEVEL, BUT ENEMIES ARE POSITIONED RANDOMLY EVERY TIME YOU PLAY.

YOU CAN PLAY IT FOR FREE!
 Hand Point Right   Hand Point Right   Hand Point Right   https://soju-and-ink.itch.io/spiders  Hand Point Left   Hand Point Left   Hand Point Left

i wanted to put this out as a stand-alone cute little game, but it also is the first part of a larger scale, 13 level game called "lil baby poop's nightmares" (still in development).
when i was working on my initial project (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=72106.0) i realised the whole thing is getting quite big. the main character alone has so many animations and animations to transition between animations... -trying out new mechanics and effects can get pretty time consuming.
so i figured i'll make this smaller-scale game to try out all the ideas i have in mind and if successful, implement them into the other game.
-also..  -i had already designed and animated this little baby character in a fitting style..

"spiders everywhere" is meant to be annoying. you die a lot because there are spiders everywhere and you don't have multiple lifes. and since he is a baby, he sometimes randomly trips and falls over. when shooting, his aim is also a little randomized (because he's just a baby).

any questions/suggestions are highly welcome!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:02:50 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 01:22:42 AM »

The graphics style and animations are amazing! I sincerely hope this is not just a clever asset store raid but some honest work. Major props for this work!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 01:46:00 AM »

I sincerely hope this is not just a clever asset store raid but some honest work.

thanks. all assets are drawn, painted, animated by myself using clip studio paint. even the old-film effect with the scratches is a handmade animation-loop and not a filter or shader.

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 05:34:05 AM »

Wow, cool. Cupheads+Limbo like graphics Beer!
Just looked at your other game, burn 'em up and it's too cool, the art, both serious and cartoony, is incredible!! Keep up the good verk Beer!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 05:51:55 AM by Gunroar:Cannon() » Logged

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

https://hmmmgames.itch.io

How to be saved
Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 07:29:33 AM »

Cupheads+Limbo like graphics Beer!

thanks, i actually never played cuphead so far.. 

---

i fixed a few issues and zoomed the camera out a little. and it schould also run on linux now.

more content is coming soon.

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 09:18:18 AM »

Solid concept.

The artwork and animations are amazing.  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

My only complaint is that the moving of characters, enemies, and screen scroll is too fast, I cannot enjoy the beautiful backgrounds and it takes my reflexes to the limit of frustration rather than the limit of a good challenge.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »

Solid concept.

The artwork and animations are amazing.  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

My only complaint is that the moving of characters, enemies, and screen scroll is too fast, I cannot enjoy the beautiful backgrounds and it takes my reflexes to the limit of frustration rather than the limit of a good challenge.

I second all of this. Looks amazing. Seriously incredible style and animations. But wow, that moved a lot faster than I expected. Feels like the player doesn't get a chance to take in all the incredible art and animations you've made. And just watching the video seemed frustrating. Looks like the sort of game where death is inevitable and (in some ways) tied to luck rather than skill (i.e. random tripping etc). I understand its just a single-level demo, so please don't take this as negative feedback, just sharing my reaction to the video (good and bad). Overall, really impressive stuff and I'll be keeping an eye on the project.

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 04:04:37 AM »

@oldblood and @Ramos,

thanks for the feedback. the old video shows the gameplay before i zoomed out the camera. you can see the enemies earlier now and actually react to them.
and yeah.. i wanted to make it fast paced, because i pesonally never have time to enjoy a slow game.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:50:25 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »

Art is AAA to me. Nice work! Gentleman

pi-shack
Level 0

wish me luck

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 07:44:54 AM »

Looks gorgeous, how did you implement the old film effect without coding shaders?

Working on Ingle Arcade, coming soon!
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=70474.0
Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 09:19:01 AM »

@vdapps:
thanks!!

@pi-shack:
it's just an animation loop, running on top.

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 07:09:01 AM »

spiders everywhere is finally on steam (still free)!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1851390/Spiders_Everywhere/

a lot of issues have been fixed since the itch.io release.

the game is still pretty hard though. it will be the first level of a larger game and much easier then. more about the next levels soon!

Soju and Ink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2022, 09:01:45 AM »

lil baby poop can now duck/crouch.
i got a lot of good feedback on various sites like reddit and youtube and figured, players were too frustrated with the baby aiming too high and missing smaller enemies. so i added a duck/crouch pose.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:10:14 AM by Soju and Ink » Logged

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 07:01:38 AM »

Surprise that no one has mentioned the music yet. It’s always nice to hear some organic stuff instead of synths. Or at least something that sounds acoustic.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »

Surprise that no one has mentioned the music yet. It’s always nice to hear some organic stuff instead of synths. Or at least something that sounds acoustic.

Seconding the music. It works super well with the overall aesthetic.

Do you have plan to keep updating this project and eventually do something larger/more commercial? This really does have a super distinctive look and sound.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic