Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:46:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignA Minecraft inspired sandbox with RPG mechanics BUT with a twist!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Minecraft inspired sandbox with RPG mechanics BUT with a twist!  (Read 5136 times)
MilanTheDeveloper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »

So I have been playing way too much Minecraft, Terraria & other similar games and I was pondering the concept of a similar style game but with unique RPG mechanics & I thought I would start designing & prototyping.

I would really appreciate input on whether this is a concept that would be unique and provide some interesting gameplay?

Base Concept
You explore an expansive & breathtaking voxel world filled with biomes & massively scaled terrain, you explore structures & find new areas to explore.

BUT instead of finding/crafting new items in order to increase your attack damage, defence or to find new enemies, you instead explore to find new blocks to build with, new NPCs with different personalities to communicate with, new machines that automate different tasks & a million other peaceful & unique things.

The incentive to explore is through peaceful reasons, whether that is procedurally created stories, artefacts & not just marginally better weapons and new enemies.

Another idea/feature would be a launcher akin to Minecraft's, but more. Be able to play all versions released, but also allow players to create & share mods, player skins, videos, art, structures, tutorials, documentation & more all in a centralized launcher encouraging players to shape the game with player made content.

Ideas
Some game mechanics I thought of that could be implemented with this concept. These are ideas off the top of my head, I am sure there are many others who could come up with better ideas.

1. Multiple storylines with notes & other mediums of communication procedurally spawning around the world as you explore it. With more storylines being added every update to keep people entertained after they explored all game mechanics.

2. NPCs that instead of just providing basic information about the game or just mindlessly give you emeralds I was thinking of having either a complex dialogue system or chatbots that have their personality and responses influenced by their location. Incentivising players to explore to find new NPCs to communicate with.

3. Huge massive structures with complex parkour & obstacles (moving platforms, indiana jones esque traps, etc) that eventually lead to loot chests with notes for stories, new items & artefacts to improve your stats (to help explore more efficiently, like jump power).

4. This is very specific, but teleporters found randomly in the world that take you into an obstacle/parkour course over the void, and once you finish the course you receive a prize & you are teleported back to your world? This is based off 'Super Monkey Ball: Adventure'

5. An in-depth machine system, similar to technological Minecraft modpacks or satisfactory where you are able to string together infinite amount of machines moving items around with conveyer belts and being deposited into mass storage. But would have some limitations to not override the next idea.

6. A very modular colonizing system, where you can build factories, housing, infastructure & governments (yourself with machines & your own blocks, not a generic structure you just place) & hire locals to work in them. And have a peaceful system of balancing happiness of workers & profitability instead of revolts & revolutions (you know, unlike real life)

So any thoughts on the concept or ideas & mechanics that would work well with this design? I am all ears for any criticisms or input, have great day :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 05:53:19 AM by MilanTheDeveloper » Logged

Did you know I'm developing a game called VoxelVerse?  #shamelessplug #promotion #actinglikeacitiesskylineNPC
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 03:11:36 PM »

The amount of work to make "Something like Minecraft but more" is gargantuan. Idk if you have a big budget or what but I doubt you'll complete this.

Edit:
I always had a design for GTA but in space where you could commit crimes and then fly to other planets and stuff. But that idea is worth nothing, the question is in the millions of things you need to to to implement it.

MilanTheDeveloper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 05:54:28 AM »

Yeah, very true. Its a cool concept since I think the genre Minecraft created has such a huge potential for such a variety of games & it would be nice to see unique takes on it.

Did you know I'm developing a game called VoxelVerse?  #shamelessplug #promotion #actinglikeacitiesskylineNPC
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic