Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1398334 Posts in 67584 Topics- by 60905 Members - Latest Member: Nadeem4252

January 22, 2022, 03:11:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCat and Cat - Protoype puzzle game. Trace routes to allow the cats reach home.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cat and Cat - Protoype puzzle game. Trace routes to allow the cats reach home.  (Read 203 times)
rale5215
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2022, 05:03:00 AM »

Hi everyone,

I have spent some time developing a prototype puzzle game that I intend to eventually release as a finalized product (with additional worlds, levels within worlds, a nice story, etc..).

In this cat puzzle game you have to trace a route over a 7x5 grid for two cats to make them arrive home. On the route, each cat interacts automatically and differently with the elements laid in the grid.

The prototype contains 10 puzzles at the moment.

I am aware the graphical aspect is very raw and a loot of feedback (game to player) and quality of life features need to be implemented. I am mostly concerned about the main mechanics of the game. Things like:

• Is it fun / could be fun (if improved)?
  • Is it challenging?
  • Would it scale well (like 100 levels)?
  • Would you considering adding / modifying mechanics (I had also considered cats abilities could be represented by cards and the players could try to switch those cards from one cat to the other).

Any feedback is welcome Smiley

Here below the link to the game, playable from the browser (gamepad or mouse + keyboard):

https://alegregames.itch.io/cat-and-cat

I hope you find it interesting  Smiley
rachoac
Level 0

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 09:44:53 PM »

Hi there!

I tried playing the game, and got some early feedback for you

* Pressing continue without having first played the game once caused a crash, so I had to reload the page. All good after that.
* I was somewhat confused as to what to do because I missed the flashing text for help/controls. I think that showing the controls up front on first load would be very helpful.
* Once I found the controls, I got the cats to go, but wasn't successful in finding a route after a few tries. I think that a simpler "first level" would be more encouraging to players, or if not that, an example route showing what success looks like.
* In addition to improved graphics, adding a soundtrack, and variations in the scene (as you mentioned), I think that putting other characters (dogs?) that might randomly gum block or otherwise gum up the routes would be fun also.

Keep up the good work!
Aron

I'm making Project Samsara!
Visit https://portal.projectsamsara.com/ to check it out.
rale5215
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 03:52:06 AM »

Hi Aron,

Thank for giving it a try and for your feedback! I see now that how the game works is mostly in my head and it fails to explain it to the players and that may be a put off.

I will see what to do about that. Perhaps some simpler cases as you suggest or a tutorial.

Cheers,
Ricard
mobilelast
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 03:26:54 AM »

Nice idea. I like the hints that indirectly tell what a cat can/can't do. I've never seen a cat opening doors with a key, though, and “black cat” seems pretty grizzled to me. Puzzles weren't very challenging once I got a grip on them.

Some improvements may be needed so the harder levels in the future won’t get frustrating. A few ideas came into my mind.
- User interface could be more descriptive. I spent a while clicking all over without any clue what to do.
- Tab is a more natural key for cat switching.
- Visualizing paths with lines would be clearer. Now it's hard to tell routes, especially if the same tiles are used multiple times.
- Add possibility to edit routes. When restarting, preserve the previous attempt so it can be modified and doesn't have to be memorized.

I once had a similar idea where you’d create routes for a team of burglars that were to steal something and avoid guards. That included a possibility to pause the game, edit paths and resume (with a cost of guards noticing). Something similar could be applied here too.

Certainly a good concept to start, and there will be no shortage of available cat graphics to make it more visually appealing.
rale5215
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 12:09:05 PM »

Hi mobielast,

Thank you for giving it a try and for the comments. Glad that you could make it till the end (I assume) and that you think the the concept is not too twisted or complicated.

Your suggestions, especially the ones on the routes, are brilliant. I was also not fully happy with using colors in the tiles for representing routes. Your idea to use lines is clearly a much better. It would be funny even more fun if the lines where represented by cat paws!

Cheers,
Ricard
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic