Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:44:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHop! 2D, a different platformer with only 2 control keys
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Hop! 2D, a different platformer with only 2 control keys  (Read 17130 times)
Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2022, 09:07:09 PM »

Hi,

cute game, kinda grew on me over the little while that I played, even though some of the graphics are a bit rough, and I wouldn't mind exploring the rest of the worlds if only I did not get frustrated out of the game, which is what usually what happens to me with such platformers.  Embarrassed

And I say "such platformers", even though you "advertise" the game as something different. But let's be honest now, the essence is exactly the same, and even the thing that the character is forced to constantly jump "was done already", so that's not what makes it different. In the future, I would focus on what _is_ different about it, whatever it is. Wink

I think "people in the genre" will enjoy it, especially if you keep adding things like the first boss (really cool), there are only a few notes I have:
- The Options sideways... sorry I know it's meant to be fun, but I hated it. xD
- The resolution seems a bit strange, like for a mobile, but not really. It would be nice to have the game resolution/viewport/camera adjust to the screen resolution, so I could see the entire level on my widescreen monitor (I mean, why not).
- The sound of "time running" out was the main reason why I got frustrated, not sure why but I hated it. Tongue
- Thinking about what may have been frustrating me, the bounce off walls might be too strong, especially when I'm at high speeds. Also avatars acceleration may have been making some things too difficult (I do realize that the quick raise in speed may be needed in higher levels).
- I'm not sure about some of the pieces of graphics. I like most of the game, but some objects, avatars included, are made in a different resolution. Not really sure how I feel about it. .)

No technical notes because it ran very smoothly. Overall well done. Smiley

Good luck!  Beer!

Well, first of all, thanks for such a thorough feedback ! Grin

It's totally fine if you're not a platformer player, it's always interesting to have all points of view and I will gladly add your name in the game credits for your contribution. I will try to answer as well as I can  Wink

First, you're right, it seems the "continuously jumping character" was used before but I was totally unaware of it until somebody sent me a link to another game using the same principle. No big deal, I did not pretend to re-invent the wheel but simply stick to my goal : create an interesting platformer with the most basic controls (left and right directions). A kind of tribute to the oldest arcade games, I guess (my everlasting nostalgia). My decision to display menus "sideways", though unusual, was made to keep controls consistent (2 more keys were necessary to confirm or cancel a choice, of course) and bring something original to the game interface.

Graphically speaking, many things are explainable from my original choices. For example, every elementary block is contained in a 32x32 pixel grid (typical old-style Window icon) and so are main character and most scenery elements. The final resolution of the game is simply doubled using 2:1 scaling. I did not want to use any anti-aliasing or filter to stick with pixel art style and old-fashionned arcade look. That way, the game's native resolution is only 360x360 pixels (but remember Donkey Kong's one was only 224x256 pixels !) but, in window mode, it shows like 720x720 (everything being scaled up in fullscreen mode). I chose a square resolution for 2 reasons. First, I thought the main character should have the same sight range in X and Y directions to anticipate his moves and I did not want the game to depend on different screen height-to-width ratios. Secondly, I intend to make a mobile version of the game once the laptop one is done and I had to keep some room for big tactile controls.

As you noticed, each level is not entirely displayed on screen. That is intentional because I wanted to have complete freedom with the level size without changing the main character's scale. But the main reason is that I did not want to show too much of a level so that the player learns first how to be careful and anticipate its jumps and progression. That's also why I chose to bring Hop closer to the border of the screen when hurrying : the more the player rushes, the less he can anticipate hazards. Time (rather energy, here) is limited but, at least in first worlds, there is no need to hurry, the game is more about precision and anticipation than pure speed, another choice I made from the start. From the first comments I had, I decided to add a training mode where time is not limited but the game ends after the 9th level, right before the first boss, without any enemy encountered. That way, the player can handle Hop's behaviour before starting a "real" game.

As the game universe grew (it might take more than 2 hours to complete all working levels so far), it became clear I needed a way to save the player's progress. From the start, I divided the game into 10-level worlds the player could unlock and possibly restart form once all its lives were lost. But that obviously was not enough to some players who wrote me it felt too punishing to restart a whole world after losing in its last levels. After massive testing, I agreed they were right, especially in difficult worlds ! I eventually added an 8-slot save system at the end of each level. I'm glad you enjoyed the first boss but believe me, you have just scratched the surface of the game if you stopped there !

About Hop's jumping/bouncing abilities, I won't change anything today because I spent quite a while to get the right setting and the level design is directly linked to this (maximum reachable height, maximum momentum, etc.). Changing one single parameter (or moving a single elementary block) would make some levels impossible to complete. There are some places where Hop must keep close to walls after running fast and you can do it by keeping direction key pressed after the shock (which does not cost any energy, same for high falls as described in the HELP menu).

I heard your complaint about the energy warning sound. To be honest, I don't know is there's a "suitable" sound for this feature. I did not mean to make it unpleasant or stressful but it had to be clear even with other nearby sounds (enemies, bosses, mechanisms) and match the visual lifebar blinking. Anything to suggest ?

Hope these comments were useful to you and might help if you keep on playing the game.

Thanks again !  Smiley  Toast Right
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 09:51:48 PM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2022, 04:37:51 PM »

Hi,
Work is progressing on the penultimate level !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2023, 12:24:37 PM »

Now building and testing the very last level !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2023, 02:56:18 AM »

Currently testing next boss  Smiley

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2023, 06:35:52 AM »

Hello everyone !

The very last boss isn't functional yet but the epilog animation of the game is ready and Hop can now (really) meet his girlfriend and go back home with her to visit the museum, where all enemies and bosses are caged. I'm now working on the detailed credits screen.

I guess the final boss will be the last piece of the puzzle !

epilog animation

Hop with his girlfriend in the final museum

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2023, 01:39:41 PM »

Here's an updated demo of the first 2 worlds of the game. Enjoy !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2023, 02:35:55 PM »

I'm currently working on saved games and general parameters (the structure of both file types has been modified to include more data). Everything seems to run fine so I will start to take care of the very last boss next week. There won't be a new beta this month as I really want the next one to be the last before the final open "mega-test". Everyone will be welcome for this crucial last step.

Hope the final version will be worth the while !

cepnox
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2023, 07:34:17 AM »

A nice game with cute aesthetics. It reminds me of pogo stick from Commander Keen, which was awesome Smiley

The gameplay feels relaxing at the beginning (which is good).
But the health system + two lives feels punishing. It could be better to replace it with time/score - so the player can retry the level as many times as needed, but the challenge would be to finish it in a given time limit to gain more score (or 0-3 stars).

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2023, 08:54:51 AM »

A nice game with cute aesthetics. It reminds me of pogo stick from Commander Keen, which was awesome Smiley

The gameplay feels relaxing at the beginning (which is good).
But the health system + two lives feels punishing. It could be better to replace it with time/score - so the player can retry the level as many times as needed, but the challenge would be to finish it in a given time limit to gain more score (or 0-3 stars).

Thanks for your kind comment, it is much appreciated (I will add your name in next beta's thanks Smiley)

You can restart the same level as many times as you want if you save your game at the end of the previous level (8 available slots). Re-loading this game will bring you back where you saved it.

You may ask "so what's the use of having several lives if you use this saving/loading system ?". If you lose a life, you have to restart the current level from scratch BUT if you get to a boss level and manage to hurt or even kill him before Hop dies, the boss will remain injured or dead when he shows again. So if it seems too hard to kill him with one life, you may succeed with several ones. That way, the player gets a better chance to reach the next world.

By the way, I did notice a bug about the 5th boss in the current beta 26 version (it stays stuck to the right wall) and it is fixed in the incoming beta 27 (mid-february) Wink

Last detail : if you want to time-challenge me, beta 27 will display my own best level times (my best world times were already displayed)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:07:52 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2023, 12:51:11 AM »

Hop's energy decrease will be slowed down in next beta (-2% per second instead of -2.5%), which gives the player 10 more seconds to complete a level is no bonus is collected Wink

Thanks for the 6000+ views on Hop!2D's topic, hope the final version of the game won't disappoint you ! Grin

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2023, 01:27:13 PM »

Work goes on in the final level. There is a lot to take into account there but now that all works fine, I can focus on the behavior of the very last boss of the game.

Here's the final cage where your girlfriend is imprisoned...

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2023, 02:36:17 PM »

Hello,

I'm super-excited because today's new beta (the 27th) is the very last one before the official version 1.0 of Hop! 2D. Much has been done since beta 26 and all worlds, bosses and options are now functional so you can eventually complete the game (no more boring "to be continued" screen !). By the way, first winners will be added in the credits so feel free to contact me if you succeed in your quest (don't forget to join screenshots saved by using F12 key). A quiz awaits you if you get to the very last level of the game so I will be waiting for your answers too !

(links updated in first post)

I intend to release the 1.0 version at the beginning of March but, before it, I need your help to track down any possible remaining bug, during a final "MEGA-TEST" : all players are invited to look at crannies and nooks of the game and report anything that seems not to work the way it should. The end of a more-than-2-year-journey is getting near (crazy how time flies but raising a child while developing a game is pretty time-consuming too !) and I won't change anything fundamental in the game from now on but I would like to make sure it runs smooth as a first non-beta release. There will still be updates in the future but they will be more spaced out and mainly bug-fixing focused.

new character animations in welcome screens

Hop gets (to much) company...

My best times added to all level stats

Extra credits (books)

changelog
- 2 new playable levels (all levels playable)
- 3 new boss types
- code modified and details added on some bosses
- slower energy decrease for Hop (10 more seconds per level)
- a few levels modified
- INTRODUCTION renamed (PROLOG)
- unlocked world managed separately in WORLDS and saved games files
- content of settings file modified (incompatibility with previous versions)
- content of saved game files modified (incompatibility with previous versions)
- final animations (victory, epilog, detailed credits) added
- secret level number display modified in LOAD/SAVE/DELETE GAME menus
- camera framing adjustments
- ASTHALIS's times complete at the end of each world
- ASTHALIS's times added at the end of each level
- confirmation needed to delete a saved game
- a few new and updated sprites
- new sounds, musics and sound adjustments (type, volume, range)
- experience calculus updated
- MAIN and OPTIONS menu updated
- WORLDS menu extended with EPILOG and DETAILED CREDITS
- ABOUT menu updated and extended
- new functionalities in developer mode
- some useless files removed

bugs fixed
- boss 5 weird behavior corrected !
- validation with mouse functional in PROLOG
- all musics correctly cut off before transitions
- some camera shakings fixed
- SAVE GAME menu : incomplete level numbers corrected
- OPTIONS menu : instant language change on active button
- PAUSE menu : display corrected during screen capture
- some interchanged sprites put back into place
- fire sound restored (boss 4)
- spoiled fruit : displayed malus corrected for cherries (code)
- filenames corrected for some screenshots

coming up
- hunt for last bugs (MEGA-TEST !)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:46:15 PM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2023, 09:02:51 AM »

This is polishing time !
The official 1.0 version of Hop! 2D will be released on March 6th Smiley
I will start a big contest form that day.

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2023, 06:14:26 AM »

I DID IT !

I still can't believe it but today's the day : after almost 2 years and a half of development, here's the official version 1.0 of my game ! Lot of polishing was done (some from precious feedback from players, thanks to all of them, their help is always much appreciated until the very last modification) and I'm glad to have lead this project to its goal. This will not be the final step as I plan to work on a mobile version and there will still be future bug-fixing updates for laptops versions.

Hop! 2D 1.0 (french/english official version)
- download Hop!2D (Windows/Linux/macOS)
- play Hop!2D online (itch.io, not from mobile phone)

For those who don't know Hop! 2D, it is a 2D (obviously) retro-looking precision platformer in which Hop, a blue one-legged jumping creature, must rescue his girlfriend through many levels and worlds. Hop can only go left or right (only 2 keys to play !) but his constant jumping allows him to reach higher platforms, activate different mechanism types (trampolines, switches and more) and even face enemies and bosses. You can download Hop! 2D for Windows/Linux/macOS or play it online on itch.io. The game includes a fullscreen/windowed mode, a training mode, several spots to save games and an integrated screenshot function (activated at any time or automatically triggered at the end of a game).

Hop! 2D is now complete and officially available as a freeware as I planned it from the very beginning. It made me discover Godot and learn a lot about it but I'm definitely far from knowing it inside and out ! So if you're an absolute beginner, keep faith if what you're creating, you will be widely rewarded afterwards !

Now, here's a CONTEST for you ! Using a downloadable version of Hop! 2D and starting from level 1, try to go as far as you can and post here the (automatic) final screenshot the game has saved in its root directory. You may add a screenshot of the final stats as well to show all the details of your progress (example below).

"OK but What do I win ?", you may ask. First, your name in the ABOUT menu and game CREDITS of next update as the best performer on the game. Of course, game saving is allowed and you can restart as many times as you want. You feel like ending the game ? Then go on ! I'm currently working on a big game book dedicated to Hop! 2D, this could be your present.

Good luck !

As an end to this post, here's the detailed changelog of this official version.

changelog (since beta 27 version) :
- "created with Godot" screen added
- welcome screen modified
- hazard signals added
- look of lineos retouched
- some animations modified
- beginning/end-of-world levels : access door added for Hop's spaceship
- sprites and font modified for keyboard/mouse shortcuts
- ABOUT menu updated (info/thanks)
- RESET WORLDS menu updated (dynamic title icon)
- ASTHALIS's times updated (9 levels/1 world)
- UI details reworked
- world musics looped by default
- extra functions in developer mode

bugs fixed (since beta 27 version) :
- weird behavior of a boss corrected
- scenery elements forgotten (added) or doubled (removed)
- some invisible enemies re-displayed !
- some world musics lengthened
- inverted yes and no choices (DELETE GAMES menu)
- text untranslated into english corrected

coming up :
- updates depending on bug reports
- a bit more !
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:22:13 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2023, 06:44:27 AM »

Now that the game is made, I play it a bit every day in order to seek possible remaining bugs and improving me best times without paying too much attention to coins. One of my best time improvements was this one in level 39 (sorry, it's in french).

As I said in a previous post, there will be future updates of Hop! 2D and the next one (probably in 2 months) will include my new best level times (I improved 9 of them since the release of version 1.0, in worlds 3 & 4). I was also thinking about a reward for beating my own times. What do think of it and what do you suggest ? (extra life, etc.).

I will soon make new videos about Hop! 2D. I thought about an updated walkthrough of the first 3 worlds and a collection of my best speedruns.

Fell free to post your own screenshots (F12 in the game), the contest is going on !
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 07:36:51 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2023, 02:21:13 AM »

I have started a list of what next update could bring to the game (to be discussed) :

- more detailed boss look for some of them (already started)
- a RESTART button at the end of each level (if the player feels he could have done it better)
- 2 extra lives if the player's level time is better than mine

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2023, 01:59:44 AM »

pulse (from another forum) got to level 22  Smiley

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2023, 01:22:59 PM »

For speedrun amateurs, here's one video (in fact several videos stuck together) that sums up all my best level times in world 1 of Hop! 2D. During the recordings, I even managed to improve my times for level 5, 8 (by almost 1s !) and 10.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 03:05:41 PM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2023, 01:07:24 AM »

By the way, here are 2 other speedrun videos, for world 2 and 3 (several level times improved, once again).

world 2 SPEEDRUN

world 3 SPEEDRUN

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2023, 12:26:05 AM »

Challenge is getting higher !

JusTiCe8 (from another gamedev forum) sent me this screenshot to show how far he went in the game, he's clearly the new leader of the contest :

But don't be scared if you want to compete, the 3rd place is currently hold by a player who reached level 8  Wink

As a reminder, here are the 3 current leaders of the contest :

1 - JusTiCe8 : level 34
2 - Pulse : level 16
3 - Jonax : level 8
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:32:00 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic