Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:50:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHop! 2D, a different platformer with only 2 control keys
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Hop! 2D, a different platformer with only 2 control keys  (Read 17126 times)
Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2023, 01:56:48 PM »

Anyway, here's the new record by JusTiCe8. He blurred some parts of this screenshot not to reveal too much !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2023, 06:32:47 AM »

Here's the new record, by JusTiCe8 Smiley

I promised you a RECORD page to keep the thread of the contest : here's the new RECORD page !
Even if I don't mention it here, it will be updated after any record is broken.

The links to my latests VIDEOS have changed : updated VIDEO page.

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2023, 12:48:21 AM »

Next update (1.1) of the game will include a direct link to the RECORDS web page.

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2023, 10:00:36 PM »

Pulse is the new leader of the game !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2023, 05:05:42 AM »

JusTiCe8 takes the lead again, by a bit !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2023, 01:58:43 PM »

The RECORD page is updated on my website, it will be directly linked to version 1.1 of the game.
By the way, v1.1 will also include my new best level times (I improved more than 50 of them).

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2023, 11:03:55 AM »

New game record from JusTice8  Smiley

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2023, 11:26:33 AM »

RECORD page updated again !

JusTiCe8 keeps getting further and further...

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2023, 01:49:51 PM »

I tested this about a year ago, but forgot to comment. So time for a replay.

The game has a nice idea with lots of possibilities. Music is very lovely, especially at the end screen of the first world; controls are fluid and responsive once you get used to them, and hidden codes are an inventive variation of a common concept. I also liked the statistics at the end.

The game can be frustrating, yes. The vertical levels are especially devilish, almost reminding me of “Getting over it with Bennet Foddy”. But I think it’s also fair and even rewarding, so I kept coming back. That’s a good sign: some games are best enjoyed in short sessions.

Couple of suggestions:
  • As WASD-controls are pretty much a norm nowadays, I’d like to use A and D in addition to arrow keys.
  • Have you thought about adding gamepad support? Analog sticks would give more precise movement. Naturally, it would also have a huge effect on balancing, so I understand if you’re not willing to use one.
  • There are quite a few blind jumps. Some kind of predictive or zooming camera could help to avoid those.
  • Like many others, I don't like timers either. But it seems that you’ve made up your mind about them.

Nice to see you’re progressing, and that you’ve reached your initial goals. Keep up the good work. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2023, 11:57:29 PM »

Thanks for your support and detailed comments, mobilelast, I will try to answer the best I can Grin

I agree Hop! 2D may be frustrating sometimes. To me, as a tribute to vintage platformers and arcade games in general, it is a part of the challenge not to succeed at first and get used to controls to better understand how the main character behaves in different situations. That is why I included a training mode to practice first without any time limit and no enemy to avoid or kill (this mode ends right before the 1st boss). Though not really "arcade-esque", the possibility to restart from any unlocked world is another way not to discourage players. Due to the possible length of a game (it can exceed an hour and a half if you complete every level), I added the save/reload option a bit later, this may help too.

Your suggestions about controls are interesting. Due to their simplicity, I first chose what I thought was the most intuitive ones (left and right arrow keys) and asked myself about another implementation (I later added left and right mouse buttons, which sounds quite unorthodox but works actually quite well once you get used to it). WASD (AD, actually) buttons was another possible choice but the main constraint to implement it is which type of keyboard to consider (QWERTY or AZERTY) so I gave up this option. The best solution may be to allow the player to choose its own keys but I have to study more tutorials before being able to implement this. I did not think at all about gamepads as I unfortunately don't own one. Given the game mechanics, I'm not sure analog controls would fit as the player already has to deal with momentum and rebounds. Moreover, some jumps need instant full acceleration so using an analog control device would in my opinion make the game harder to handle.

Blind jumps ? Yes, they're definitely intentional ! For the first ones in the game, you can have a look first at the place where you're supposed to "land" so, once it is checked and memorised, the jump becomes much easier. Later in the game, blind jumps become part of the challenge but you always have the possibility to save a game at the end of a level to restart the next one as many times as you want if you don't succeed the first time.

About timers, the current version of the game is likely to be easier than the one you tried a year ago as Hop's energy now depletes more slowly (after considering player feedback, I modified it and it now takes 50s to die if you don't find any energy bonus instead of 40s in previous versions). v1.0 is the official current version of the game and mechanics won't change from now on. incoming v1.1 will bring minor bug fixes and extra menu options (among them, direct access to the game's online leaderboard). I also intend to launch an android version later.

From your comments, I can tell you have at least completed world 1. You should consider participating in the contest (the 3rd best player lost in level 9) and send screen captures here. What do you think about it ?

Thanks again, I will add your name in next version's credits and I'm looking forward to having some news soon Wink
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:37:39 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »

Latest record from JusTiCe8 Smiley

You can still participate in the contest of the 3 best Hop! 2D players.

As a reminder, here are the current leaders  :
1 - JusTiCe8 (level 55)
2 - Pulse (level 46)
3 - Jonax (level 8
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:27:23 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2023, 03:37:30 AM »

I'm currently working on future version 1.1 of the game (direct link to record page, a few minor bug fixes and some better-looking bosses)

Here's the latest record of Justice8, still the current top player of Hop! 2D

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2023, 12:44:53 PM »

Still working hard on v1.1 version of the game, which hopefully will become the definitive form of Hop! 2D. Several minor bugs are being solved and I expect to get this new version fully working by the end of May or the beginning of July.

By the way, JusTiCe8 keeps getting further and further, here's his latest record :

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2023, 07:11:58 AM »

Hello, it's been a while  :D

I'm back to bring you good news : an updated version of Hop! 2D, my Godot 2-key precision platformer will be online next wednesday  8-)

After massive play tests, a lot of bugs have been fixed since the release of the version 1.0 months ago, some levels and bosses modified and saving a game will now cost you a few coins. Hopefully, this version will be the final one.

Here are a few screenshots of what awaits you in version 1.1. Don't miss it !

updated 4th boss

coins needed to save a game

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2023, 11:57:48 PM »

Time for a small update... which happens to be a big one ! (first post updated)

Hop!2D 1.1 new official version (french/english latest version)
- Hop!2D 1.1 main page (presentation)
- Download Hop!2D 1.1 (Windows, Linux or macOS)
- Play Hop!2D 1.1 online (itch.io, not from mobile phone)

A few months ago, I released the first official version of Hop! 2D, a precision platformer game I made with Godot. Though I was quite happy with the result, it turned out that the game still contained minor bugs... and a big one which prevented the player from completing the last level ! So I went back to work to fix all these issues but I also added several functionalities to the game, without changing its global gameplay. The 2 main new features are the direct link to the RECORDS page of the game and the fact you will now need 5 coins to save a game.

Everything seems to work fine now so I Hope you will enjoy the new game experience. Provided no new bug is detected, version 1.1 is likely to remain as the final version of Hop! 2D. Be warned : you will need 3 hours or more if you want to explore every world of the game so feel free to save games from time to time !

One last detail : you can still send me your "game over" screenshots (they are saved automatically in the root directory of download versions of the game) is you want to compete and join the RECORDS page of the game (the best 3 current players are credited).

Here are some new screenshots :

main menu

new direct link to RECORDS page

coins needed to save a game

extra coins in world 1

reworked look for some bosses

new dynamic coin counting

mandarins instead of cherries !

extended final stats

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2023, 12:02:46 AM »

Hello, here's version 1.2.0 of Hop! 2D, probably the last update of my 2D platformer I will work on.

All screenshots you can take in the game are now stored in a dedicated directory, most of my best level times have been updated and there should be no remaining micro-bugs.

- download Hop! 2D 1.2.0 for Windows / Linux / macOS
- play Hop! 2D 1.2.0 online on itch.io
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:34:11 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »

Here's the latest video I recorded : an english demo of the first 2 worlds of Hop! 2D.

Try it and have fun !

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2024, 02:16:12 AM »

Happy new year !

Hey, I was about to forget it but an updated version of Hop! 2D (1.2.1) is available !

- Download Hop! 2D 1.2.1
- Play Hop! 2D 1.2.1 online

About this new (last ?) update :
- you will now be asked for your default language right after the first start (easier and more logical for non-french native speakers)
- some remaining (not critical) micro-bugs were fixed
- some menus have now more "standard" names
- 1 new contributor in ABOUT menu
- 1.2.0 saved games are still usable with this version

deathraydreams
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2024, 05:51:40 AM »

I've already sinked an hour in this game without noticing. I like the sharewere aestetic and overall goofiness. Good job!  Beer!

Asthalis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2024, 07:59:48 AM »

Well, thanks a lot, then Beer!

An hour is a pretty good score for a start, don't forget to save your current game if you want to go far, Hop's world is bigger than it seems at first glance ! If you haven't read it yet, useful info can be found in HELP menu.

Also, here's a link to some Hop!2D videos.

Feel free to show a screenshot of your "game over" screen, there's a special page on my homesite that lists the 3 best Hop!2D players (the link is in the ABOUT menu).

May I know if you played the online version or you downloaded the game ?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 08:23:30 AM by Asthalis » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic