Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1398333 Posts in 67582 Topics- by 60905 Members - Latest Member: Nadeem4252

January 22, 2022, 04:20:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHard Glitch (experimental roguelike)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hard Glitch (experimental roguelike)  (Read 281 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2022, 11:14:07 AM »

Hello! (wow long time since I came here XD)

Recently I published v1.0 of my small experimental (and first time) roguelike: Hard Glitch

You can play it for free in-browser, it requires at least a mouse: https://klaim.itch.io/hardglitch

It's a classic roguelike where you play a "glitch" in a computer who become sentient and realizes they need to escape the computer otherwise they will be erased by the security system. So your goal is "just" to go to the network and escape through the internet.

It's an experiment in design and implementation of some game mechanics I wanted to try, so there is a lot of rough edges but I'm quite happy with what I learned making it. It was made with the fellows at HomeTeam Gamedev by the way, the credits clarify who did what.

I'm posting here to get feedback for 2 reasons:
1. I intend to do a bugfix release in a few weeks, so any new bug report will help. I'm also interested in things I can fix design-wise if I find the time.
2. I intend to make other games like this (it's a prototype for another idea I have) so other kinds of feedback will be useful for that next game.

I'll be around if you have questions of course. Smiley

rachoac
Level 0

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »

Hi there, I did a quick trial of this. Things I liked:

* Aesthetic! The music, sprites, color scheme, all look unified and on theme.
* There is a lot of detail and depth here, which is great in a rougelike.

Things I think could be better:

* There is a general feeling of "over-busyness" I get, with such a lot of things changing as I walk around (relating to occulsion); fiddlying things jumping over at the top right corner in that Cycle widget; pointers and things happening. There seem to be ways to tune this via the options, but I think a middle ground setting of detail would be helpful to start, plus encourage for the user to tweak to more or less options.

* I know that the teleportation cube is supposed to get me to the next thing, but after 5 minutes I couldn't figure out what/how to do it. An early, easy win might make it nicer for filthy casuals like me.

Keep up the awesomeness!

I'm making Project Samsara!
Visit https://portal.projectsamsara.com/ to check it out.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 04:23:22 AM »

Thanks @rachoac!

Questions relative to things that could be better:

* There is a general feeling of "over-busyness" I get, with such a lot of things changing as I walk around (relating to occulsion); fiddlying things jumping over at the top right corner in that Cycle widget; pointers and things happening. There seem to be ways to tune this via the options, but I think a middle ground setting of detail would be helpful to start, plus encourage for the user to tweak to more or less options.

Would a "1 thing at a time" slower introduction to the different elements in the screen help, in your opinion? Like if the beginning was far slower, splitt in very small levels and we introduce one new element in the screen (like a more detailed tutorial) each time?

* I know that the teleportation cube is supposed to get me to the next thing, but after 5 minutes I couldn't figure out what/how to do it. An early, easy win might make it nicer for filthy casuals like me.

I will assume that by `teleportation cube` you meant the "GOTO" item (which provides the "Jump" action).
I'm trying to guess what blocked you, do think it was:
 - understanding the difference between Items and Actions? (Items provide Actions in the form of additional Action buttons)
 - targeting the Jump or the range of the Jump is not clear? (there are various squares appearing where you can Jump, but you can only Jump in a specific pattern)
 - not clear how to Jump to the end of the level? (it's designed as a puzzle so it might be confusing)

rachoac
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 05:22:28 PM »

Would a "1 thing at a time" slower introduction to the different elements in the screen help, in your opinion? Like if the beginning was far slower, splitt in very small levels and we introduce one new element in the screen (like a more detailed tutorial) each time?

Yes, I think this might the way. Introduce the essential feature set a bit more gradually, in mini-levels. Then once I'm thru that, I can put the ideas together to solve a composite puzzle.

I will assume that by `teleportation cube` you meant the "GOTO" item (which provides the "Jump" action).
I'm trying to guess what blocked you, do think it was:
 - understanding the difference between Items and Actions? (Items provide Actions in the form of additional Action buttons)
 - targeting the Jump or the range of the Jump is not clear? (there are various squares appearing where you can Jump, but you can only Jump in a specific pattern)
 - not clear how to Jump to the end of the level? (it's designed as a puzzle so it might be confusing)

Well, I was trying to place the GOTO cube on the ground and use it, but wasn't able to use it to chart a teleportation path... I think its the confluence of the 3 ideas (items vs. actions; jump targeting versus range; and then figuring out where to apply the jump) that conspired to get me confused.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »

Well, I was trying to place the GOTO cube on the ground and use it, but wasn't able to use it to chart a teleportation path... I think its the confluence of the 3 ideas (items vs. actions; jump targeting versus range; and then figuring out where to apply the jump) that conspired to get me confused.

Ok noted, thanks!

In case you want to retry it (short explaination of what you should have understood before finishing the level): [spoilers]
you need to take the Goto item in your slots on the left, then drag it in a slot that's "active" (with a yellow glow), that's what the yellow arrow is supposed to mean. Once done a new Jump button appears on the bottom of the screen. Hover the button to see it's range but Jump is a movement action so you can just see the yellow squares,. that's where you can jump. All Items providign actions work the same way, you get the actions if you get the item in the action slot, then the action buttons are available.
[/spoilers]

rachoac
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 08:21:01 AM »

Ah very cool. I will give this a try again. Thank you for taking the time to unstick me!

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 09:01:04 AM »

No problem, I'm interested of all steps where you might have issues. ^^

Another note: there are some (hopefully) helpful explanations in the in-game menu, if you find yourself stuck consider reading them and tell me if it helped ^^;

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic