Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:02:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Elyia's help me thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Elyia's help me thread  (Read 3052 times)
Elyia
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2022, 11:44:48 AM »

Hello there, new around here, beginner as one can be Smiley .

I'm attempting to color the upper part of the tower, and having a difficult time with doing so. For now I'm simply placing colors over everything in order to make it a lot easier for later, when I'll create the textures.

This is my colored version

Adding the render image as well.

The surfaces don't feel right, and highly uncertain regarding the colors choice
- should I add more colors ?
- are the choices of colors any good ?
- any suggestions regarding the texture I should use ? ( planning to convert this fully to pixel art ).

Any help would is kindly appreciated.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 05:01:15 AM »

Ultimately, the answers to your questions depend heavily on the environment or environments in which this object will be placed, and on what intention you have for it, I believe.

For example, if this is a tiny faerie-tower, intended to be located amidst vibrant green grass and against a vivid blue sky, then, it might fit in rather well with the environment. It even somewhat resembles a mushroom!

Conversely, if this is intended for a grimdark "real is brown" setting, then, well, it's likely to clash starkly with the environment; indeed, it may well look like it's not a part of the world.

Now, you may think that the former is good and the latter bad, but... what if your intention is for the tower to stand out? In that case the latter may be good and the former bad.

So, it's hard to give a concrete answer without knowing how the tower will be used.

Elyia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 12:07:53 AM »

Thanks for the reply !
The piece is :
- standalone
- to be later used with a blue sky and a green grass background
The red color is what I'm aiming for, I was actually asking regarding the variation of color Smiley . It feels like I could add two more hues of red, the transition between these feels a bit too strong. In pixel art I'll add dithering to the transition, however it might still be a bit too strong.

My plan is to properly block out everything, then draw the outlines around the paint blotches to clarify the basic shapes - then texture everything.
Not sure where the roof tiles enter in this work process - I'm assuming that the outlines part would include these as well.
I'll experiment and report later.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 05:18:53 AM »

Ah, fair enough!

Hum... I could see the current colours working, especially if dithered.

More hues would likely make for a smoother transition, while the current might look more "old-school"--imitating the limited palettes of older machines.

As to the roof tiles, if the tower is going to be fairly small, then I might be inclined to add them during pixelling--it's easier then to see what details will and won't be retained, I feel. Conversely, if the tower is going to be fairly big, then I might be inclined to add them during the stage shown in your screenshot above--it might be easier to experiment with various patterns that way.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic