Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:37:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoWind-up robot thingy [demo and canceled]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Wind-up robot thingy [demo and canceled]  (Read 3129 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/wind-up.zip

I wasn't sure what to make for this competition.  I don't have any interest in adult games, and I couldn't really think of anything that'd qualify as "educational".

The game I've got here is rather simple:  there's a little wind-up robot that's able to move for 45 "steps", and will perform any action that's queued up within those steps.  But the only way you can access the correct step to add an action is by adding up the numbers 1-9, each one only once.  The little robot then performs its actions after all the numbers have been used.  And the player had to get this robot to the goal.

It's not really that educational; it only requires a little basic addition and some logical thinking typical to a puzzle-platformer.  A little math practice, but it doesn't exactly teach anything.
I can't claim it's that interesting, either, unless you're really into puzzle-platform games.  But I wanted to at least get it to a prototype state to see what people would think.

EDIT - Game canceled, never mind.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:26:13 AM by Fifth » Logged
fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:12:19 PM »

I love the hell out of that control panel.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

Weren't there programmable robot toys in schools like this?

Also: fantastic sprites, and an amazing idea!
frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »

This is pretty cool, but the UI is confusing. 

I'd suggest putting a row of 9 empty cells at the bottom with a disabled "Go" button at the end.  As you select each number, they would leave the "available" pool and fill up the "action" bar, left-to-right.  When that's filled up, the Go button would light up to show that you can start up the little guy. 

Or something like that, to make the UI itself indicate what the rules are.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 11:17:39 PM »

That's a good idea, thanks!  It would certainly help with some of the ambiguity on actually starting things up.

But it doesn't really matter any more, 'cause I've decided to drop the game in favor of something a little more engaging.

Ah, well.  It was a fun little experiment.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:22:45 PM »

Hand Shake LeftCryHand Shake Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic