Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 03:53:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhich Game Engine would you use to create Stardew Valley?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Which Game Engine would you use to create Stardew Valley?  (Read 4984 times)
metalcactus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2022, 03:32:32 AM »

If I'm looking to create a game similar to Star Dew Valley with similar mechanics, which no-code Engine (such as GDevelop or Construct) would you recommend?

Apologies if this is a dumb question. I've never designed or code a game before. Right now it's just an idea, and I'm in the research stage to learn more. Please forgive my ignorance.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 11:03:56 AM »

I recommend you start with a much smaller project than stardew as your first game. Sometimes starting big can be a helpful exercise but typically doing a bunch of smaller projects will help you learn faster.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 04:53:28 PM »

It is important to realize the following in your research stage. You absolutely have to program, in one way or another. There are just ways of programming which make it easier for "non-programmers". Google "Unity" and "Playmaker". It might fit your needs.

On a deeper note, to put fears to rest. You don't have to study complex theory and computer science in order to learn programming. Learning programming (at the level most game devs are using it) is an intuitive process. That is why many are able to learn it at an early age. Computer science and math is only required to understand things which leave your intuition. So just don't be afraid to give programming a go.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Cat Pawns
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 11:33:59 AM »

sorry for necro this thread but, stardew valley is very data driven, most thing changes when you go to sleep, and also very modular like the farm being his own world apart from town, and the mines its a complete new game where you are there to fight. about the engine any 2d renderer do the work just fine it doesnt matter the game its not hard demanding on resources.
Armorman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 12:01:50 AM »

rpgmaker2003

Yes
Slyddar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 06:38:09 PM »

Gamemaker is really easy to use, and also very powerful.  They are adding many new features and tutorials right now for new users, so it's a good time to give it a try.  It's also free to try.

Also as mentioned by someone else, start small. Make some smaller games, and even enter game jams as it will help you learn enough to make a better game each time.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic