Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:57:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDwarf Fortress succession game, Helmauthors - FINISHED! (probably)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress succession game, Helmauthors - FINISHED! (probably)  (Read 45696 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »

Holy crap dwarves are gonna be able to get fat or muscular too? Shocked Is there no limit to this?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2009, 11:26:22 AM »

Magic is a 1.0 planned feature. Won't be in for a long, long time.

Also guys, I am playing. I played the shit out of it for like 10 minutes yesterday and got like 7 pictures. More free time starting today, luckily!
...so? It's comming!

I personally like the thought of having a talking sword in your tresury (Because it is magical and has a soul)

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »

I don't see anything in the dev blog about magic...

...But anyway! I'm eagerly awaiting what you have to show, Cheater. Well, hello there!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2009, 12:44:48 PM »

I've seen it, but it should be years until we see any trace of that. As it should be years before the UI is more friendly than a constricting anaconda.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »

ohgodwhereisthemagma
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2009, 09:06:28 PM »

I'm not sure where it is or the best way to find it...I mean, the easy ways to find it would be to cheat...

*realizes who he's talking to* I'll work on it tomorrow. Well, hello there!

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »

Seems I'm too much of a screenshot whore. I intend to play at least a year today, but I already took 21 images in the first season.  Epileptic

Thus gentlemen, I arrive at the fine frontier outpost of Helmauthors, where, to my knowledge, neither helms not exemplary works of writing have been produced.

Why are these bones outside?

I start looking around the fortress, finding a perfectly viable bone stockpile. This is so far the only part of the design that makes the smallest amount of sense. As the inhabitants show me their stockpiles they mention they have a wood stockpile next to their wood stockpile. They stare at me when I ask them the difference between these.

While wandering through the fortress, I notice a critical aesthetic design flaw. This fortress, in violation of the rules passed down by our older dwarven architects of lore, is not square enough. I rectify this by ordering the "squarefication" of the front entrance, that is, making it more square in less technical terms. It could also serve as a fine outdoors area for a prison.

Wandering further into the fort, I find the catacombs, a place to pay respect to our ancestor, and my mind is once again sent to hitherto experienced levels of confusion by the design. Was the dwarf that designed these drunk? I clearly have spent too much time with human diplomats. I, of course, meant: Was the dwarf that designed these not drunk enough, thus suffering from withdrawal? I order new chambers built in proper square fashion.

I start the construction of a new kitchen and still area next to the dining room for logic reasons, and I'm treated to a goblin death. Beautiful!

Dwarven tradition clearly states the only rooms that should be "unsquared" is the bedrooms, yet they seem to be the only properly square are in this fort! It is now without doubt evident that the dwarven designers in this place were suffering from severe alcohol withdrawal. I fix this.

I was right, Armokdammit!

I order the smoothing of some fairly unimportant areas of the fortress, if only to prepare the dwarves for further monumental tasks.

The kitchen is built, so I move the all important production facilities there.

Suddenly:

Great! More unwilling soldiers cheesemakers!

Great! Dwarven engineering!

Great! A noble pleaser!

Darn it! Goblin snatchers! Then an ambush! Then another ambush of only one person! More snatchers! Heavens! Another ambush that scares off the dwarven caravan which was surely bringing the finest examples of dwarven craftmanship! That does it, goblins!

The fortress is now able to (almost) completely seal off, leaving the only entrance exposed to The Tower's marksdwarves. In not so fortunate news, it seems that stream of goblin attacks have put something under quite a lot of stress. Sadly, my beautiful writing implement has been damaged. It seems I'll have to limit myself to only noting important events. Thus ends autumn.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »

I love that the fortress is becoming a huge mishmash of different architectural sensibilities. :D

Stockpiles can be tricky to manage, actually. Often, just playing DF games on my own, I find myself undefining and redefining stockpiles as they grow. I mean, a lot.

Anyway...didn't someone ask about magma? Who, Me? For those who might be interested in finding it, it's actually quite easy...(At least, it was easy for me; I have no idea if there's any random generation when you explore new levels, so it's possible this might not work for someone on a different computer! But here goes anyway...)

SPOILERS!

1. Find the dining room. (Next to the barracks, one level below the main entrance and workshops.)
2. Look north to the top edge of the map. There should be a little grassy area, and there should be the end of a hematite vein visible in the cliffside. (dark red £)
3. East of the hematite (one or two spaces), mine out a down stairway. (Or an up/down stairway, I always use those because they don't "cost" anything extra.)
4. Move down one level (should be level 143) and mine out the up stairway that corresponds to the down stairway you just did. (Or, again, an up/down stairway.)
5. From that up stairway, mine EAST.

That should get you to the magma in no time!
Well, hello there!

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »

I found the magma during winter by accident as my miners were enchanted by it's eternal warmth.

Also, fortress now has a drinking pond, soon to be two.

Another artifact, too  Cool
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2009, 09:53:08 AM »

UH OH.

So chaps, it seems despite my constant use of the "Print Screen" key, Gnome does not like taking screenshots of fullscreen stuff. That means I've got 0 screens from Winter, in which, luckily, nothing that needed to be seen happened. Sadly, this also means I don't have a chronology of events, so this will be presented in summary form:

Dead: 2 Dwarves, a brave hunter and a valiant marksdwarf. 6 useless peasants and others were recruited in his place. He will be honored.

A magma pool has been found! Praise the Miners only one of those lazy dwarves that was working!

A fisherdwarf has been possessed! Unsurprisingly, he didn't do anything useful or valuable, just a goblin bone scepter.

The Cook Obok Asteshcuggan has organized a party at the Marble Table.

Exploratory mining has continued, as well as the squarefication of the rooms. The entrance now has a lovely lake with well, where that legendary mechanism was used. It will be moved to the underground well as soon as the channels are finished, which will happen as soon as that hematite is taken out.

Mayor has mandated 1 (one) Zinc item. Maddening search for sphalerite starts.

The dining room has been cleaned up and filled with accommodations. Smooth stone and engravings are covering the rest of the fortress slowly.

PICTURES:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:17:04 AM by Cheater » Logged
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »

Awesome. Shocked

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »

Current metalworking report: Crapload of bars.
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »

Lookin' good, Cheater!
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2009, 03:15:53 PM »

The dwarves complained about the new bedroom design, mentioning that the old one was more "efficient" and "compact" . Cursed blinded dwarves, who do not see the beauty of my design. I comply against my wishes.

The squarefication of the workshop area continues steadily. Nothing shall block dwarven progress! Water what lake?

Curses! An Ambush! Where are those goblin sonofa--

AN ELEPHANT AMBUSH! AN ELVEN AMBUSH! We had no idea we were at war with them. In fact, I reject to accept the idea of them daring to defy our dwarven might. These are simply merchants looking for our +bone bolts+, and in exchange their leave their weapons behind. And their clothing. And their bones.

PD: I have totally seen elves and elephants before. Totally. Would never confuse them. Animals can carry out ambushes. Everyone knows that.

The ambush is taken care of, but a Stoneworker is hurt.

Another ambush, and just when we're driving off the elves! Goblins, surely!

I shall abstain from comments. No dwarves were injured.

Great, just what this fortress needed. Politicians nobles. And here I haven't set up the magma heated bedrooms yet.

UH OH.

Come on, Endok Usenïngiz, if you make it, you'll be a dwarven hero worthy of glorious tales!

Congratulations
You managed to block that magma flow
The one miners opened
You're the mason we all wish we could be

You made it through the tunnel
Then you grabbed the mudstone on the floor
You walked right next to it
Then you built the wall and saved us all

Then you built the wall and saved us all

Then you built the wall and saved us

Now you're a hero
You managed to keep
the dwarves alive

We're happy you made it
but how are gonna
spend the rest of this day

Maybe go on a break
Maybe find a statue
and party again

Yes it's over now
You needed just
to block the magma flow
That's it I swear it's true
Oh ohh

Now you're a hero
You managed to keep
the dwarves alive

We're happy you made it
but how are gonna
spend the rest of this day

Maybe go on a break
Maybe find a statue
and party again

Beer! Fortress Administrator Cheater has organized a party at the Rhyolite Table Beer!

Ahem, let's continue.

Dining room expansion encounters some... issues.

Luckily, he was pretty cool about it because he has a lot of masterful engravings.

The expansion is not the only area with problems. During the construction of the underground well, a miner fell into it. While it was already active.

Luckily, I planned ahead for this, as that door was totally not only installed to give masons a way back to the stairs.

Thus, he was saved and proceeded to find many minerals, none of which was useful to fulfill the mayor's mandate.

(I forgot about the overview pictures, gonna take them now.)
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »

I shall abstain from comments. No dwarves were injured.

If I were really on the ball I would have replaced the player with a dwarf symbol
also that is awesome and I have never seen it happen.

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

The squarefication of the workshop area continues steadily. Nothing shall block dwarven progress! Water what lake?

Whoa, what the heck happened there? Shocked

AN ELEPHANT AMBUSH! AN ELVEN AMBUSH!

GAAAH ELEPHANTS Crazy

...oh. Whew.

Congratulations
You managed to block that magma flow
The one miners opened
You're the mason we all wish we could be

Did you really...just...write a "You Have to Burn the Rope" filk? WTF

...:D This thread gets more awesome as it goes along. Well, hello there!

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2009, 08:58:25 AM »

Whoa, what the heck happened there? Shocked
I dug into a lake.  :D

I intended to play summer yesterday, but I was very sick with flu (to the point where I got dizziness and nausea from standing up too hard.)

Really, tragedy does seems to follow community games.

I will try to complete it today, if I don't manage I'll upload a save from the beginning of summer.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »

Let's hope the dwarfs come down with something rather than the players Smiley

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2009, 03:47:47 PM »

Crap, I went nuts with screenshots again! 29! Working on update.

UPDATE:

Pretty much immediately in the beginning of summer we are visited by kobold thieves:

I dare you to take one step further, kobold:

Luckily, he did. The results were horrible hilarious.

Suddenly, capitalism!

We've got human merchants.

NOOOOBLES  Hand Shake LeftApoplectic

I think I was too generous:

But there's only so many things one can do with x(narrow cave spider silk sock)x

Here have some info:

Another lake in the way of efficient design!

Oh dear, a jeweler has been possessed! Hand Money LeftTears of JoyHand Money Right

Wait, what is he asking for... rough gems? PLANT cloth? WOOD? Why, I should have him killed right now!

Like I care.

Meh.

And for a while, a pleasant interval of time, nothing happens. When suddenly, without warning and without any kind of knowledge or preparation that would have allowed us to prevent it, this nothingness of events, this non-existence of occurrences...

Will finish update later.

UPDATE 2: Yes, indeed as some of you might have noticed, the event was indeed striking Topazolite. I though I had taken out the image, but apparently did not. In my defense, it was a completely, yet conveniently timed pause.

Nothing noteworthy continued not happening. The only mildly interesting part was the expansions of the Dwarven Artificial Waterfall Mechanism (DAWM).

Now with up to three windmills!

OVERVIEW OF THE FORTRESS

Above this area I started a digging project to make it "Outside". May cause collapse and hilarity.

Look at that dwarf, he has so many bedrooms to choose from! (25% of the fortress does not have private quarters. I missed a migrant notice somehow.)

TOMBS GO HERE THEY ARE THE SAME BUT CLEANER

However, north of them, you can find the amazingly incredible, incredibly amazing and surprisingly fatality-free magma smelter and forge:

UNINTERESTING MINING GOES HERE

UNINTERESTING MINING PART DEUX

STATE OF THE FORTRESS:

Who is in charge of the brewing? I have a repeating order for brewing drinks since the beginning of summer!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:23:47 PM by Cheater » Logged
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2009, 06:48:51 PM »

AAARGH TAKE THAT KOBOLDS

Also heck yes to expanding the waterfall! Get that business happening!

The fortress looks like it's kickin ass.

And 90 pop? Barons + sieges soon...?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic