Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:04:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDwarf Fortress succession game, Helmauthors - FINISHED! (probably)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress succession game, Helmauthors - FINISHED! (probably)  (Read 45341 times)
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »

Good night, sweet prince.

How does a wagon die?

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »

As you'll have noticed from the ranks of the deceased, we did eventually succeed against the goblins. It was rather more of a show, though.

You see, after week upon week of training, we let the new warriors loose. The goblins were quickly routed, leaving only one alive. He was fleeing toward the horizon when Melbil rushed to the doors, unlocked them, and shouted "CHARGE!"

Everyone within hearing ranged rushed after the goblin. I can only imagine the fear it must have felt, seeing two dozen angry dwarfs chasing at top speed.

And that's it. It took a good deal longer than I'm presenting it here, but eventually the attack was warded off. Not without cost, though.

Anyway, I had the foresight to make Melbil order construction started on some miniature catacombs. She said it would seem 'fatalistic,' but I didn't back down. They were completed just recently.

27 Timber
I... I can't believe what's happened. I thought I was helping... I...

Okay. I went in to talk to Melbil about some ideas I had about organizing the stockpiles, nothing major. I... I don't think I'll be interfering in fortress policy anymore.

I walked into her office, and she looked up at me slowly.
   "...yes, Amost? What is it this time?"
She seemed to be sighing as she spoke.

"You need to-"
But she continued, seeming not to notice that I had spoken.   
   "Amost... I need to ask you a question."
   "What?" I was curious. She seemed to be rather depressed about something.
   "Will you ever... leave me... alone?"
Now I was shocked, rather than curious. How could she think I would leave her bereft of my council?
   "No, Melbil." I said as kindly as I could manage. I walked over around her desk, and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Never."
She just looked up at me, inch by inch, and I was shocked at what i saw.

Journal, her eyes were empty.

She nodded slowly. "Alright."

That was the last word I, or anybody, ever heard her speak.

She got up, eyes unfocused, and trudged slowly out of the room.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »

How does a wagon die?
Wagons are creatures
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »

How does a wagon die?

With blood, tears, and screaming.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »

...that's why there's a listing for "wagons" in the "types of refuse a refuse stockpile will accept" screen. Shocked

...:D

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2009, 03:18:07 AM »

Do wagons have a heart? Droop
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2009, 05:17:11 AM »

Do wagons dream of vehicular sheep?
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:49 AM »

Amost's Journal
1 Moonstone

Well, it's officially winter now.

Melbil hasn't spoken to anyone since that day. She's been wandering around the fortress, not responding to anything. She went outside in the rain for a bit, and then came back in, slowly dropping her clothes as she went.

I still feel terribly guilty. I hope she snaps out of it.

In other news, somebody went into a fey mood, and started to work almost immediately. Good. We don't need another crazy person around.

9 Moonstone
The fey dwarf finished whatever he was working on.

It's very nice. That goes without saying, really.

22 Moonstone
Goblin ambush today! Thankfully, it wasn't the hell that happened before. Taken care of before the day was out, actually, by our small military force. They rushed into the middle of the goblins...

...sending them scattering in all directions. A true rout.

Unfortunately, one dwarf was still lost.

5 Opal

We can't function when the fortress leader is babbling to herself in the rain. She was officially stripped of her position today, and a new leader chosen.

It was Zulban. I hope she'll be a good leader.

18 Opal

...She's gone.

I can't think of anything else to say, but... I'll miss her.

10 Obsidian

Spring's close. Olon's been doing this thing where she claims that she needs to put something away, but she won't say what it is or why. All say, every day. Maybe she's pregnant.

11 Obsidian

HAH! Maybe now she'll stop that godawful-

Damn.

14 Obsidian

What's with all these babies? Is it something in the water?

20 Obsidian

I suppose I should be happy. Babies are supposed to be cute, right?

1 Granite

Another year. We've lost a leader, and a wagon, and gained... some babies, I guess. It was an especially exciting year. Here's hoping next year won't be nearly as exciting!
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2009, 07:16:05 AM »

Well, that's it for me. Hope it was entertaining!

Now: how and where do I upload the save, that the next person might get started?
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »

I'd like to get in on this, but I just want to check. Will Dwarf Fortress Graphical work with the save file, I'm a pansy and I like the pretty graphics.

I'm not actually sure what "Dwarf Fortress Graphical" is. If it's something where you change the settings to use different tilesets, then it should work. If it's some other mod of Dwarf Fortress, I suspect it might not work because it's probably based on a version prior to 40d...

I'm running v18 of DFG which apparently is based on 40d11, which I think the latest SDL patch of DF. The only mod it has (which I don't use anyway) is the Stone control mod for banning certain kinds of non-economic stone from being used in construction.

I guess the simplest thing to do would be to download the main DF game, run in DFG and then load it up in DF and find out if anything went foobar.

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 08:47:49 AM »

Well, that's it for me. Hope it was entertaining!

Now: how and where do I upload the save, that the next person might get started?

Awesome! ...errr...Well, you have to get the save to me; then I'll put it up on the website so that everyone can see it. You could email it, that would probably work. My profile has an email link right over there Hand Point Left. Or, you could find one of those free file upload services and upload it. If you have access to a web server, you could upload it there and I could download it.

If nothing else, I could create an FTP account on my web account where people could upload stuff.

John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2009, 11:47:41 AM »

Alright, I emailed it to Chaoseed.
Should be fine, let me know if there's any problems.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »

Okay! I tested John Lee's save and it seems to work fine. I've uploaded it to my web server.

http://chaoseed.com/helmauthors/Helmauthors_01_JohnLee.zip

I also sent a message to the next person in the queue, so we'll wait a day or two and see what happens. Gentleman

It's pretty cool to see how the fortress has grown. You did a good job, John. Wink (I did notice that a few of the coffins were not set to be used for burial, but there were more than enough empty ones anyway. And those catacombs are pretty impressive... Smiley )

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »

The fort is looking good (and running stunningly smooth still on my old machine)

A question: Wouldn't it be profitable for the for to mine the Malachite in the catacombs? and then replacing those with a cheaper stone? Of course this should only be considered if the fort is in need, because currently it looks very nice with the green and white crossing.

Maybe make the dining room a little more...legendary, during the next turn wouldn't be a bad idea Smiley

And maybe moving the food stockpile closer to the dining hall?

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2009, 04:15:22 PM »

Those are good suggestions, mark.  Well, the food stockpile is where it is because it's close to the kitchen.  Of course, someone could make a food stockpile near the dining room and have it "take from" the kitchen stockpile.

But remember, the whole point of a succession game is that each person gets to play it however they want. Wink

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 04:54:20 AM »

Those are good suggestions, mark.  Well, the food stockpile is where it is because it's close to the kitchen.  Of course, someone could make a food stockpile near the dining room and have it "take from" the kitchen stockpile.

But remember, the whole point of a succession game is that each person gets to play it however they want. Wink

Indeed, but there will be a huge cluster at the food stockpile around 50 dorfs.

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
John Lee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2009, 07:11:47 AM »

A question: Wouldn't it be profitable for the for to mine the Malachite in the catacombs? and then replacing those with a cheaper stone? Of course this should only be considered if the fort is in need, because currently it looks very nice with the green and white crossing.

I considered it, but decided it would be disrespectful to the dwarfs buried there to have a patchwork catacombs. Well, mini-catacombs.

There still needs to be a good metalsmithing system, and maybe the catacombs could use a few traps. If you have any free dwarves, that is; traps down there are really just for show.
And... there was some other things, but I'm sure you can figure them out on your own.
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »

So, EchoP is up now, right? Anyone heard from him?
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »

I messaged him twice over the past day or two, but no response...

I think it's about time to say...frezned, you want it?

mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »

Okeydukes! I'll just grab it from the general everything-is-here page?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic