Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:04:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDwarf Fortress succession game, Helmauthors - FINISHED! (probably)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress succession game, Helmauthors - FINISHED! (probably)  (Read 45632 times)
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2009, 10:23:23 AM »

EchoP contacted me and said he was too busy right now...which kind of relieves me because now I know what's going on. Giggle

Okay, frezned, you are quite definitively up. Wink What you're looking for is this file:
http://chaoseed.com/helmauthors/Helmauthors_01_JohnLee.zip

I'll pretty up the webpage...sometime I have time. Tongue

Note that what you want is a tree that ultimately looks like: data/save/Helmauthors. I believe the save has paths starting with "save", which means you'd have to extract it into the data directory. Well, I'm sure you can figure it out. Wink

Let's aim for Tuesday, August 4th to finish your part, or Thursday, August 6th at the very latest.

Good luck! Wink

mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »

...August is coming up...that means I'm getting older...

Making a webpage for this might be overkill but if you feel like it chances are it would be a good idea Wink

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »

I must admit it was with great joy that I accepted the title of expedition leader. I may have lost a friend to tragedy, but my mood following the election could only have been described as ecstatic.

Why?

Because we could finally do things the right way: mine.

I hunted down Morul and Kubuk, two immigrants who had yet to add anything meaningful to the fortress.

"You two!" I called. "Which of you is better?"

"Better at what?" asked Morul, while Kubuk replied "Me!"

"Morul," I said, "I want you to count everything here. Every blade of grass, every rock. Count it, and write it down. I have assigned you one chair in the dining room to aid you."

He seemed upset. "Am I being punished?" he asked.

"Yes." I said, planning to never elaborate. "I will lessen your burden by counting your chair for you: one. Now go, and count the rest of everything else."

I heard him desperately counting his steps as he fled. I fixed my gaze upon Kubuk. He whimpered.

"Kubuk, you will be my second. I will tell you what I want done; it is from now on your responsibility to ensure that happens. Boss people around until it gets done."

He nodded enthusiastically. "I'm good at that! Also, it's 'Kûbuk'. The u has an accent."

I scowled. "Like a bucket? That will never do. You are now 'Kubuk', with no bucket. Now go, and await my command."

======

My first order of business was to get a better dining room happening. It should have been fairly straightforward, but the two miners kept coming up to me every two seconds complaining that the stone was damp.

"Of course it is!" I would say, verbatim each time. "You're tunnelling under the lake. Now dig it!"

By the fourteenth time I decided we needed more miners so I could kill one of these if they pulled a stunt like this again. I commissioned a smelter, furnace and blacksmith's to be made, so we could build another pick, when-

"Zon Sirabudib, Wrestler has suffocated!" someone yelled. As I ran to the barracks where Zon indeed lay dead, I heard Morul in the dining room call out "population, thirty-NINE".

"What happened?" I demanded. "Who did this?"

Dumed, who was at the scene, shook his head. "Three hats. He did it to himself. His neck just collapsed under the weight of all that headgear."

Just then, one of the miners ran in. "Sir! Sir! We cancelled the dig - the stone's damp!"

======

Despite the dampness, excavation of the new dining room finally finished, as well as a new food storage area below the farms.

I was bossing some dwarves around about the construction of a waterfall for the dining room - "What do you MEAN I assigned our only engineer to operate the smelter? Why would I do that?" - when there was a commotion at the another table.

"Alath sketched a picture of some rough gems!" one squealed excitedly.

"So? She's a gem cutter. What else is she going to sketch?"

Everyone stared at me balefully as Alath hurried upstairs. Strange woman.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2009, 04:05:01 PM »

You are now 'Kubuk', with no bucket.
[Picture of walrus with "they be taking my bucket" caption]
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »

:D Hahaha...bûcket.

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2009, 02:02:18 AM »

No, no, no! That'd be bûkkit!
mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2009, 03:10:39 AM »

No, no, no! That'd be bûkkit!
Båkkit?

mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2009, 04:21:38 AM »

Despite my inital skepticism it quickly dawned on me how serious Alath was about those gems. She sat for hours on end, unmoving, in the gem cutters' workshop, just scrawling pictures of rough gems in the dirt. Soon it became infectious; "rough gems?" was almost a standard greeting.

I ignored the workings of the fortress in favour of some exploratory mining. We were going to get that woman some rough gems.

The miners dug and dug. When some migrants showed up, I ignored them bar throwing picks at a couple and ordering them downstairs. Summer came and went.

Rough gems eluded us.

Digging continued. The gem frenzy was so intense I almost forgot about the waterfall for the dining room. People started to genuinely fear for Alath's sanity. Her shrieks of "rough gems?!!" could be heard throughout the night, but it only encouraged the miners further.

Finally, in the middle of the night, Domas Gakizfikod burst into my room. "Sir! We've done it! At last, Alath's mad gem desire will be sated! We've struck Gypsum!"

"Domas, that's not a gem."

"I meant Alabaster!"

"Not a gem."

"Uh, Anhydrite?"

"Not a g- what was that?"

A terrible keening came from above. We rushed upstairs.

There sat Alath, motionless in the gem workshop. She was wailing, just a horrible, constant tone. Blood was everywhere; evidently she had attacked her own arms with her tools. Clumps of her hair lay torn out around the shop. Like a zombie, she shambled out of the jeweler's workshop, eyes unfocused, jaw slack.

"Don't let the children see this!" called a bystander, while the same time someone else called out, "Snatcher! Protect the children!"

I sprang into action, pointing at some nearby military guys.

"You three military guys - I don't know your names nor care - get upstairs! Get get get!"

They stood instantly. "Sounds like a job for..." one started, and then all in unison, "... the Invisible Mansions!"

In perfect formation they ran upstairs, steps perfectly in sync. I raced up after them, just in time to see one flying-tackle a goblin. Together they flew for several meters before he landed, smashing the goblin's head into the ground with a crunch. The other two looked on in approval.

"Well done!" I cheered, when I caught sight of a group of goblins hiding behind a nearby tree.

As I watched the ambushers flee from the Invisible Mansions, Olon Orrunlogem came rushing up from behind. "Zulban! Zulban!" she shouted.

"What is it?"

"A human caravan just arrived! A liaison from the merchant's guild wants to talk to you."

"Excellent, I'll get right-"

"Also, Tun Iklistfikod and Kel Avalkib just got married; there's a party at the Marble Table, isn't that lovely?"

"Yes, delightful. I'll-"

"And just so you know, everyone at the fortress except for you had a chat and we decided that I'm actually the new mayor now."

"... what?!"

"Isn't it a nice day?"

I clung to my last shred of hope. "At least the two pretty little piccolos that I commissioned will be finished soon."

She shook her head. "Commissioned as mayor, maybe. Plain ol' metalcrafter's can't mandate nothin', Zulban."

I raised my now tear-filled eyes to the sky. "HOW COULD THIS DAY POSSIBLY GET ANY MORE STRESSFUL?!"

"Well..."

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:24:42 AM by frezned » Logged
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2009, 02:32:42 AM »

Going away for the weekend. I'll probably have something up Sunday night though.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2009, 05:46:33 AM »

Why do I always get skipped over when I say I want to join these things. Do I smell or something. :|

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »

I've been quite entertained by your posts so far, frezned. Gentleman

Why do I always get skipped over when I say I want to join these things. Do I smell or something. :|

Last I heard, you were going to check if your "DF Graphical" thing was going to work with the save files. Have you got it all straightened out? Just post something definite like "Put me in the queue" and I'll do it. Wink

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

Oh, I wasn't clear enough. Sorreh.

I'm going to try DF graphical when it gets close to my turn. If it doesn't work I'll just use regular DF. Think I can handle it Smiley

Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »

Oh, I wasn't clear enough. Sorreh.

I'm going to try DF graphical when it gets close to my turn. If it doesn't work I'll just use regular DF. Think I can handle it Smiley

Gotcha.

...*eyes wander over to the "Cautiously Pragmatic" under Titch's name*

Anyway, that was still kind of tentative, but I put you in the queue regardless. Wink

mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2009, 02:30:11 AM »

I just thought I'd bump the thread, for the sake of it staying active Grin

How is the fort?

mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2009, 03:49:47 AM »

HOW IS THE FORT INDEED

I have some kind-of bad news, in that I've had some unexpected IRL stuff happen in the last couple of days that make getting enough time to play and write up these things pretty difficult. It's quite doubtful I'll have time to do the next two seasons until next Monday. :\

To that extent I've treated Autumn as Spring, pausing, saving and quitting as soon as it hit. I'm happy to email the save so far to whoever's next and we can just switch at Autumns or something. Otherwise if people are happy to wait a week or so that's fine by me too.

ANYWAY LET'S SEE WHAT THE CURRENT AUTHOR AT THE HELM HAS BEEN UP TO

=======================

Despite being instated as mayor, Olon does not wield her power in any meaningful way. So, noticing an opportunity, I continued ordering dwarves around behind her back. Therefore, construction on the waterfall continued uninterrupted.

Mostly uninterrupted.

We were first clued in by the moos that echoed around the dining room. I didn't know who to yell at, so I just stood up and bellowed.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE WHO THE HELL LET TWO COWS INTO THE WATERFALL PIPES?!" I screamed, mildly injuring my larynx.

Nobody spoke up.

"HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN? WH- *cough cough* who let them in there?! Who led them what is actually quite a long distance, then DOWN SOME STEPS I thought it was impossible for cows to walk down steps and then INTO THE PIPES and then BUILT A WALL, SEALING THEM IN?!"

Rovod, one of the stoneworkers, raised a hand. "I.. uh... thought that they were... we need them to.. needed to power the... uh... water... pusher... s."

"The pumps, Rovod? What do you think the windmills are for?!!"

"The... roundwheeleys? I thought... they were for the... cows to... ride?"

"ROVOD GET THE COWS OUT OF THE PLUMBING THIS INSTANT"

=======================

After what seemed to be an eternity the waterfall construction was finished. While it does not sound too amazing, being sprayed by a fine mist while eating is actually very soothing.

I commanded the stoneworkers to start engraving the walls. This dining room was destined to be the stuff of legend. Although the engravers do include Rovod, so who knows what he'll come up with.

Could be worse.

=======================

Most people had forgotten about stolen baby Vabok in favour of partying around one of the stone tables. But I had not!

The construction above the statue garden had potential. I ordered it converted into an impenetrable tower from which marksdwarves could rain pointy hell down on any goblins that think they can steal another child.

Another level constructed on top of the existing wall, with a floor added. Fortifications on the walls. Couldn't be simpler.

I swear it was within minutes of construction beginning when Rovod walked out onto a precipice and constructed the very section of wall that would prevent him returning.

"I'm... I fell on the... wall... I'm stuck?" he mumbled. "Help!"

The other stoneworkers shouted at him to be quiet, and they'd build a bridge to him soon enough.

Instead he just cried, "Help! Help!" over and over, so all of the fortifications were finished before the masons lay a single stone to help him. He deserved it, I guess, but we could hear him from the statue garden and it was very annoying.

I considered drafting him into the military, in the hopes that he'd get killed, but if he survived long enough to walk to the barracks... the idea of a dangerous Rovod sends shivers up my spine.

=======================

Suggested future developments:

Do something about Rovod. He is the dumbest dwarf that there is. As soon as he was free he brought some more cows up to the fort.

The fort's outside is complete and I've ordered the construction of a bunch of floor grates so that dwarves don't fall down while still keeping light in the statue garden.

I've also placed two chains at the fort entrance to bind war dogs to. There should be one in training, and one already wandering around somewhere.

Once some more immigrants arrive, get some more marksdwarves happening. Bolts are in production if we have bones; Autumn arrived before I had time to check.

I've also almost entirely neglected trade with the outside world, so maybe some crafts need to be crafted. We only have three dogs all up and there's been suspiciously little breeding. Next dude should look into getting a breeder so we can get some puppies, and then eventually some more war dogs. Or a meat industry.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »

I think we should just go with what you have done...I've sent a message to Cheater, though, so we'll see what he has to say.

In the meantime, frezned, you can email me your save for archival purposes. Just use the email link over there under my name. Hand Point Left Well, hello there!

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

I think I should take it now. I doubt some other tiggers would stay interested in this for a couple of weeks until their turn.  Lips Sealed
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »

Okay, that was easy. Smiley

Cheater, you're up! Here's the save file: http://chaoseed.com/helmauthors/Helmauthors_02_frezned.zip

(I've also updated the webpage. http://chaoseed.com/helmauthors )

Let's say you have until the 12th, because I'll be busy on the 11th. You're supposed to play until the next Autumn.

mark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2009, 04:59:27 AM »

So, I follow the dev blog (for unknown and possibly strange reasons) http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html#2009-08-06

They talk about magic...I can't wait for this, sounds epic!

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2009, 07:12:50 AM »

Magic is a 1.0 planned feature. Won't be in for a long, long time.

Also guys, I am playing. I played the shit out of it for like 10 minutes yesterday and got like 7 pictures. More free time starting today, luckily!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic