Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:15:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingWIP LoZ fangame
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: WIP LoZ fangame  (Read 103201 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

Now I'm itching to make some fucking games.
For the compo?
That's a good idea, if I can think of something I can do in one day.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »

This is awesome!

I don't think the sword's reach should be increased; I think the only real problem is that people equate FPS Melee with 'Press yourself up against the enemy and then press the button' because there's no such thing as a touch-damage enemy in FPS ;p

It'll take some getting used to, certainly, but I really like it as it is now.

---> Are enemy behaviours the same as in the original, or as close to it as possible?

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »

Radix you're a super cool dude, best luck with issuing your problems, i want to play your games!  Beer!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 08:09:21 PM »

Thanks, man. Apart from the movers breaking just about everything I own, especially the stuff I wanted to send to the office, and usual money worries it's sorted now. I have an idea for the compo which I'm going to start on momentarily.

It'll take some getting used to, certainly, but I really like it as it is now.
Yeah, I'd tend to agree, but I want to give all the criticism a fair go.

---> Are enemy behaviours the same as in the original, or as close to it as possible?
My basic philosophy is that I'm free to play around a little with anything perspective/direction-based like the way items work, the way you move, and enemy behaviours. Everything else I want to remake pretty closely if I can.
I also don't want this to be a crappy game where enemies just dumbly wander around so you can easily pick them off from the door with your sword beam for the whole game. Where I do change stuff to keep things challenging I'll try to use behaviours from the second quest or other Zelda games when appropriate.
In this demo, the Keese are fairly faithful, while the Stalfos wander around until struck, then they chase you.
Hope that answers the question.
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 02:49:07 AM »

hi radix.

-- the few ones who posted negative criticism here did not say anything of worth --

-- and first off, Radix, great work. --

I'll give you a little test report:

- First, when I double click the exe file, the popping up window is not maximized which ain't fun, because on top of all, as long as this app runs (I got XP64, but I guess it's the same on others wins), I can't use the mouse anymore to move the win cursor outside the app window, seems like this app takes control over the mouse IRQ in quite some brutally exclusive fashion which is not useful. People expect a program to leave their mouse alone, as long as their cursor is not hovering above the app window.

- Then, I hope this is not only my problem, but I don't think it is:
Turning the mouse in some directions will make Link look directly into the face of a wall, even if I am in the middle of the room. I think it's really super that you, Radix, thought of the wish of really most people to steer their character with their mouse, where the direction they're looking in equals the direction they then walk in by pressing the W key, by standard.
My mouse is totally normally configured, in all other games, I got no problems with accuracy or stuff. In this app, sadly, I can't steer properly with my mouse, it randomly gives me graphical errors - I will still try to reconfigure my nvidia card with the win panel, maybe that could have lead to the symptom I describe here, maybe not. Will edit this if I got new testing info [greeedy on playing metroid and zelda 3d, even in low quality, better than oblivion and morrowwind together...]

- You gotta really heighten the tolerance of position: I really tried
to stab those dark blue bats, I mean they are old friends, uhm, enemies of us all .-) ... -- BUT this was made AWsomely hard because you gotta very precisely hit the bats. OK this is surely normal, this app being a conversion to 3D. But I died after some 2 minutes, also because of the graph error described above.

- One positive remark (of which there will follow a lot more):
The doors are well-made, unlike another guy here commented. I mean I see a black tunnel and go into it, that is the natural instinct of any man .-)
-- and I come out in the next room.

- So, now the inevitable remark on quality: On the old Amiga, we had "softening", I learned to do it once on Deluxe Paint 2 and 3 - it's a much more cpu-saving method to smooth the edges of any graphics than the nowadays totally decadently used "Anti-Aliasing" or "Anisotropic Filtering": NO CPU or RAM is used AT ALL: You JUST REALLY simply "soften" those ugly steps by PRE-RENDERING (!) between two and ten layers of surrounding VERY thin lines around the shape of the graph, which then, to the outer direction, fade into the background colour. I did it some 15 years ago with a phrase written in some nice font: a one-pixel outline with a little darker colour than the font has, and repeat that some times. You get a totally soft font, or any graphic. For that, NO one needs ANY kinda high resolutions, which just slow down the framerate. That would be a simple and MEGA effective way of getting away the big pixels. You would just need to maybe double the resolution to be able to succesfully apply such a a softening filter.

- So, all muttering is finished, now to the really good remarks of mine:

MAN! You make DREAMS come true! It is the IDEA that counts.

HOW did you do that? Did you take the info from the original game and transform that into 3d? Ingenious!

Now: The main style and concept of the app is MEGA well done.

I just want to say that if you would work really a lot on the usability (the user-friendlyness, also meaning the compatibility with any kind of mouse and other pc configurations) as well as on the graphical quality of that Zelda "mod", man, that is WHAT ALL PEOPLE WANT, and SURELY not windwaker or ocarina of time ( I heard twilight princess wasn't that bad, but it's too much comically done, probably, and all folks have only a PC and DO NOT WANT any kinda consoles - that was different when the NES was new, even the following SNES came out much later when all was already different, also the MOOD people THEMSELVES were in!!!).

- Personal remark: I refuse iso-view-games. I ONLY play 1st or maybe some good 3rd perspective games. OK on the old NES, there were some mega well done sidescrollers, and also games viewed from above, of which for me, Zelda 1 was the ONLY really "good" one, meaning it gives STILL pleasure to the freak as well as the total noob-casual gamer. EVRYone can use it, and that IS an advantage. Bill Gates STOLE windows from Macintosh, where he worked before, and Win is a very easily usable, therefore "good" product, it's just not Gates who invented it, he is just the world0's most successful conman.

But the principle holds: Easyness. Usability. Compatibility. When a proggy works, however, whereever it's installed, and any idiot can use it, THEN it is a good, because tolerant program.

You completely already follow this principle. I myself have never really learned to program except some C (and pascal .-), but I would like to see you form so much this little app that something GRAND would come out -

Parallel ideas:

I mean, lots of people ask themselves if they don't wanna finally do some Zelda-Totalmod for let's say Oblivion, at best playable in multiplayer
in the LAN. Oh well: Of course, then in the Oblivion-Mod like that, the trees, for example, could surely not be arranged in a straight line like in the original Zelda. There are lots of possibilities for good re-takes here.
All could just be in a Zelda-like style, including quests, but also, it would be mabye better to really stick to the layout of the original Zelda
map numbers one and two, meaning when you finish Zelda Original all is in
a different place. Or begin with the map number two, as did some people
who did that Zelda for PC which is TOTALLY unnecessary because there are LOTS of emulators for NES.

I return to your approach stating that your way is the most Zelda-authentic, the most original way of finally getting Zelda on its feet for our future.

Intresting analogy here is also that just until this or last year, most Morrowind fans said it was impossible to mod Morrowind into a multiplayer mode, now there are even two or even more mods with which evryone CAN successfully and almost totally bug-freely do that.

Stay a pioneer and buccaneer, Radix! You are the root of the root!  Noir
deathtotheweird
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2009, 04:28:42 AM »

Quote from: mETROIDLOVER
TL;DR
My Word!

I wonder if he is still developing this game? I was never a Zelda fan so this game was inspired by something I had never really played. Unlike other people who like it for nostalgia, the world/lore, gameplay, etc. I like it just because, no real reason I suppose. It's just a promising idea. Aside from the fact that it is a fangame.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »

It's stalled.

The current version of Construct fixes one serious graphical problem but completely breaks the engine.
They're aware of the issue and hopefully it'll be fixed by the time v1.0.0 is done, otherwise I'll have to start from scratch in something that isn't Construct.
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2009, 12:55:20 AM »

Radix, dunno what u mean when u say the current version of "construct" would "break the engine". Can u explain further when u got the time, thx.

to the others, mainly to Mister Casinclair who seems to try to ridicule me: No, buddy, Zelda ain^t my religion, oh... wait... ok... am now a zelda 3d priest .-)))

... taking that evil frostball with my golden shield, slashing that skeleton monster with full energy, shrr!!!, sword flies to other edge of room, heart stays where monster was, I suck it up for my own energy... sorry, buddy, u are dead - because you seem to wantingly gain energy by liaghing at others. Not very noble, I might addOh BTW, Casimir or whatever, I am a pro pc supporter and probably understand more about windoofus than even most programmers... who don't even know anymore about the OS...

... oh: YEA, I regged JUST for giving radix some good words and that he fixes this graph error he got. Dunno why some people seem to intend to obstruct the course of testing by other internet people who seem to like his product. Oh, proabbly, this casismir is just another lonely sould somewhere without girlfriend, if he's got one, he's really a super arrogant and not nice person, my right to state that. So, Radix, if you tell this casimir or whoever his stupid nickname is to go away, I might fruther test stuff for you, if not,  Well, hello there!
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »

edit impossible in this very funny arrogant forum:

mister caisno whoever just logged in and posted just to comment negatively on what I had to say about radix's product. well, probably, I regged faster than casismir looged in .-9
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2009, 01:15:44 AM »

Radix, dunno what u mean when u say the current version of "construct" would "break the engine". Can u explain further when u got the time, thx.
Construct is the name of the authoring tool I'm using. It's actually intended for 2D games, I'm just tricking it into doing basic 3D stuff.
It's an ongoing project, and hasn't reached v1.0 yet. Newer versions have been released since I started this thing, but as a result of a major update support for a particular 3D thing (which I need but is usually minor for most people) has been lost.
For various reasons I don't want to go back to the older builds, so I'm waiting and hoping it'll be fixed by the time Construct v1.0 is done.

If not I'll have to continue the project in some other environment.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »

OK,what I posted probably was uncalled for, but there's no reason to go all ad hominem on me. I didn't mean to be nasty or anything, so let's just settle this in peace like the grown men we are, OK?  Gentleman

Settle it in PEACE? Gentlemen do not do that. You are obligated to settle this the real way. With fisticuffs.

Renton
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2009, 08:13:26 AM »

Metroidlover, don't be a child and have a little sense of humor. I mean that in the most positive sense.

I'd also be very grateful if you spent a bit more time on your posts and, you know, try spelling things normally.
The North
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »

Metroidlover, don't be a child and have a little sense of humor. I mean that in the most positive sense.

I'd also be very grateful if you spent a bit more time on your posts and, you know, try spelling things normally.

When has chastising someone else for spelling ever worked?  I can't think of a single instance when someone who talked like that changed after a helpful forum goer showed them the error of their ways.

I'd actually prefer he spelled like that, because that tips me off right away that he's crazy instead of having to waste my time reading his posts to discover it.
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2009, 05:28:35 AM »

(The South)

Hello Again u zelda 3d makers and fans.

I am sorry for having gotten Sinclair's remark in a negative way.

As I read again thru here, I re-read his statement, there was and is no
hostility, no "laughing" in it.

HOWEVER, he said Zelda 3d would be my "new religion". Well, THAT was a little bit a condescending remark, wasn't it.

So, Mister "The North", u think I don't "change". Here, I don't put any question mark behind the last phrase. Man, NO, you're fully right, man, I DO NOT change at ALL.
Because I AM NOT how U THINK I AM. YOU ARE THE ONLY TROLL HERE, The North. YOU seem to wantingly bash on me. You proved it with your statement.

I admitted my mistake, now do it, too. I just wanted to speak about tech stuff, then Sinclair comes and REALLY ridicules me, even if not intented. Zelda 3d is surely not my religion, that is gothic and judaism. And Anti-Zionism, and I mean that. ANTI-Zionism, right.

I will, Radix, look into Construct, soundz very intresting. Greetz to you Radix, Sir, exclusively.  Tears of Joy  Durr...?  Evil  Huh?  Cool  Addicted  Apoplectic  Mock Anger  Beer!
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2009, 05:41:33 AM »

(again I gotta first say that post editing here isn't possbile, which forces me to post anew)

oh, just for the good vibes here:

I RE-thought that matter. Sinclair DID write he'd be "amazed" that another one liked z3d so much.

I am really over-sensitive, while I don't see his point why z3d should be my new religion.

that remark perhaps hurt me because even though I understand nietzsche, I am all the same still religious, just not in the orthodox, traditional way.

I would, Sinclair, refrain from putting matters like "religion" into contexts with people whom you don't know.

I know now why he said that. Cuz nearly no other person seems to cherish and support such things as a realitvely primitive, but authentic Zelda 3d. I do. And for me, it took some less than 5 minutes to write that test report. I don't see the point why Sinclair is so "amazed", while I thank him for his fraternity.

I only reside in social places where people are tolerant and not macho and intellectual.

This is very rarely still the case in most places. To me, it seems like radix got some nostalgic roadies and they act like a hord of romans who trample all in their way.
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2009, 05:55:37 AM »

so this is the third reply for which I'm sorry:

I am cool now. Took a breath from da bong and all's well xept roswell, maybe .-)

So I'm sorry, I am the only ar*ehole like always, I am the one cleaning up after the many parties ending up in his life with no GF, I am the one who started "it", which is even true, if you just look at it from the superficial side. Go deeper, and you see many different guys who are ALL talented in many ways, but the net is not allowing them to just be as they are.

It's STILL like that, that if Sinclair says I would be so much a "freak" about something, HE IS in FACT ridiculing me, but still, of course, not admitting to that in the very least.

No, I have to repeat it, and that is for me a MAJOR issue BEFORE all tech stuff, sorry:

I was shortly, for some 10, 15 minutes, dealing with hat new fan game zelda 3d.

Including the report to radix.

Another guy comes and says hey, this guy, I'm "amazed", is so much a fan of Z3d, it seems like his new "religion".

What AM I SUPPOSED to think this statement tries to convey? Earnest friendlyness?

I don't think so, bro.

I think Sinclair is just another arrogant guy somewhere.

This is what I think. Eat it or not. Xept people like Radix who is talking TACHLES, most folks just dont GET it. Take a hike u others.
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2009, 06:05:56 AM »

... it's amazing for ME: It's the same like always and evrywhere.

Others recognize my social kind and colour and ridicule me for that or worse.

Don't even TRY to deny it, which you will surely do all the same.

No one EVER admits his own mistakes xept people like me (and radix, ie), otherwise, the world would change, and that would be very bad for people like george bush and top cia people.

I add the following: I am eager to go into programming or modding. Already, I know more about pcs tha most people, for example, I know EVRY win service. I can do an alternative xp on a pentium 1 and optimze it, so it runs mega fast and all's working.

oblivion-modding will be a catwalk for me. nothing to be afraid of. my looks are so good, my intelligence is so high, I just need a system.

i got music, already. also there, I am p*ssed to learn notes. I can read chrods, though.

I am also P*****ssed off about all the new pc games. no big dragons, no adventure like in thief 1. no ral zelda 3d, dungeon lords ain't big enough.

I wanna make my own games and I CAN. So, mister sinclair, I say to you again:

my religion is gothic, mainly. not the game, I mean the genre, the lifestyle, the music.

Thx that u are amazed, that WAS a positive remark, less the one about my "religion". Sorry for being strict.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2009, 06:21:27 AM »

Huh?

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
mETROIDLOVER
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2009, 06:23:45 AM »

so, Radix; after all that religion crap:

I am dl-ing construct 0.962 now. WHAT in HELL am I supposed to do now.

Take a NES-Rom of Zelda? Can I directly open that rom-file with construct?

I don't think so. Tell me how to proceed, and I will try to maybe fix some things in your source code, if you trust me enough to know that I would never ever think about stealing anything. It's kmjust writing a proggy from scratch is MUCH harder than editing a source code.

I would just really in fact then demand a crediting and even a partial reward, if I would constribute to a mega version of your "fgan game", as you call it moderately.

Oh, one could in FACT purely TECHNICALLY say that your z3d IS my new "religion", if understood like that: I love the way you STICK to the original. ONLY transforming it into 3d. What ALL big companies should have done and didn't, you just did. THAT is greatness.

others might come and say: Oh well, he only "copies". No. Because you gotta understand something when you try to copy, alter or rebuild it. and that's a huge load of work and DEVOTION to MAKING SOMETHING rather than enjoying life. Rather than going out all the time which many friends of mine do and I never did.

Because of social problems which are NOT my fault but my father's, I have been kept from becoming a good programmer, from learning in general. and because of capitalism.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2009, 09:07:54 AM »

Constrct is childproof, take a look at the Scirra.org forum for more advice and tutorials.
Welcome to the forums and try to cool down.
 Wizard

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic