Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:21:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGreat Depression
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Great Depression  (Read 5288 times)
Seth
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:17:26 PM »

As far as I know there has never been a video game that took place during the Great Depression...

or do you know of any?

or would I, could I, be the first?

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:05:51 PM »

There were a few mafia games that probably took place in the 30s, so timewise there probably were some. But there probably aren't any that deal with the subject itself that deeply.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »

Ron Perlman's half brother!? (Half since he looks less like a monkey.)

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 02:02:46 PM »

Jesus christ people don't remember Lee Marvin anymore? Cry

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:26:01 PM »

All I know is that he's buttugly. Though that's usually not detrimental to your acting performance.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 05:52:38 PM »

I've played games set in the time period, but I don't think I've ever heard of a game *about* the great depression (which was as a political aside caused by the Federal Reserve system deflating the money supply, as its current chairman Ben Bernanke admitted and apologized for), so yours could be the first if it deals with it to some extent in the game rather than just mentioning it and being set during the same time period.

Here's one example of a game set during that time: http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/NancyDrewOldClock/ND_OldClock.shtm
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 05:54:10 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

Seth
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »

I'm not sure I'd be interested in a game "about" the great depression, as I generally don't like that sort of topical storytelling, but rather a game which uses the setting to tell a story that could only happen during the great depression... of course you could argue a game or story like that is essentially about the great depression.  But, yeah, I wouldn't want it to be just a backdrop

I've been thinking a lot about the tendency for video game makers to choose their settings from such a limited selection of eras... most commonly it seems to be a choice from a fantasy, sci fi, or present day.

Of course no one can be blamed for overusing present day, that's only natural in all media at all times to use as a setting, because of course that is what the creators are most familiar with.  And I won't claim video games are unique in the abundant use of fantasy or sci fi settings, those types of settings are used widely in literature and to I think a lesser extant in film.  Of course it's not like the Great Depression is a very common setting for either fiction or film, so it'd also be misguided for me to point the finger at video games for neglecting it.

It seems to me that it's harder for game designer to adjust to different time periods than it is for a writer or film maker.  By which I mean if you were told as a writer or film maker to make something that took place during the Great Depression or the world of 50's advertising you wouldn't be as hard pressed for an idea as you would if you were to make a game about it.  I don't think it would be nearly as easy a switch for the game maker... whereas a writer could write about the stress of each particular time period, the game designer would have to construct unique gameplay mechanics for the new setting, just like there had to be new gameplay for The Sims because civilian life was pretty much an untouched setting(though I don't consider the Sims storytelling, which is what I'm most interested in).

Is this a good idea: a game design activity (like the "What is this game about?" threads) where there is a generally underused setting and everyone posts ideas for games that take advantage of that setting?

I think it's interesting to think of changes it would make to a certain genre (Harvest Moon in the 1930's Shocked) but I don't think that really changes the core gameplay aspects.
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »

Ron Perlman's half brother!? (Half since he looks less like a monkey.)

Why are you showing us this picture of a silverback gorilla?

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:56:31 AM »

Dude, trust me, depression is not 'great'. Cry

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »

I believe you might be unaware that the OP is referring to the economical crisis of the USA.
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 05:00:05 AM »

I believe you might be unaware that the OP is referring to the economical crisis of the USA.
link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Depression

-_-

Was trying to make a joke. Oh wells.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 01:34:15 PM »

It's difficult to determine emotion from strings of letters and emoticons :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: