Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:22:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHammer Kid
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hammer Kid  (Read 1244 times)
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2022, 11:53:13 PM »

Hi everybody  Coffee

I'm participating at the Steam Next Fest with my upcoming game Hammer Kid - a 2D pixelated platformer.

I'm looking for some simpel technical feedback:

• Does it start on your machine?
  • Does it run smoothly on your machine
  • Does the audio work?
  • Does it crash?

Download Demo on Steam

Feel free to provide also feedback on the playability and design, but most important for me now is to make sure it runs on different PC configurations Smiley

A few words about the game

I'm currently working on a project called Tiny Thor for many years now. 5 years ago I decided to start over from scratch - and as Tiny Thor still has a long way to go I decided to finish my old project. You can read more about it in detail here on my blog.

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 10:59:23 AM »

I saw this on Steam last night and from a quick glance I thought you'd just renamed Tiny Thor for some reason. I played the demo of Tiny Thor a while back (and I thought it was good) so I didn't bother trying the demo of this. I just assumed it was about the same as what I'd already played. Glad I stumbled upon this info. Guess I'll check it out after all.

EDIT:

My thoughts:

I like the graphics. It felt very reminiscent of games I played as a kid. Movement feels good. I like the music.

Issues:

-I walked up to a person who said something in level 1 (maybe about crouching?), but I backtracked to grab a gem I'd missed and then returned only to find that there didn't seem to be any way to get them to repeat whatever it was they'd said earlier.

-On a related note, on Level 2, I walked up to the guy at the start but the dialogue appeared and then disappeared right away so I backed up a little and it reappeared then disappeared. The sweet spot is really small.

-I died to two snakes while trying to hit them. The range on my attacks is really, really short and it doesn't feel like it makes sense for me to have to get so close to enemies that I know have a good chance of killing me in one hit before I get into range. I know I can bait out their attacks, but that feels wrong to me in a 2D action platformer such as this.

-Why does my hammer sometimes go flying? It seems odd, especially since it's required for progression at times.

For me, it worked perfectly. I just really hated the combat so I didn't play long, but I didn't have any issues at all with it from a technical perspective.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:00:01 PM by Quicksand-S » Logged

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
JoeManaco
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 12:34:32 AM »

Thank you very much for the detailed report.

Some good points you've mentioned. I put it on my list of things to improve.

The combat really changes as you progress (In Level 9 you are getting a "callback hammer" which acts more as a projectile based weapon, in World 4 you're getting a plasma hammer which changes the pace more to run'n'gun gameplay).

agamerdev
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 10:24:56 AM »

nice game, i think its good Smiley
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 12:10:10 PM »

Joe,

Everything ran fine on my machine.  I have a Windows 10, 64 bit.

Good luck in the next fest!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic