Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:56:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStress Cup [arcade avoid-'em-up] Brackey's Game Jam 2022.1 Submission
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stress Cup [arcade avoid-'em-up] Brackey's Game Jam 2022.1 Submission  (Read 657 times)
yousayrandy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »

GAME COMPLETE! Play it here: https://yousayrandy.itch.io/stress-cupacity

Stress Cup
An Arcade Avoid-'em-Up About Dealing with Stress
Game Development Blog

Introduction:

Who am I?: My name is Randy, a hobbyist game developer. You can find my introductory post at: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.11660 I am not the most experienced of game developers, but I've dabbled enough to be able to (hopefully) complete this simple game I'm trying to make.

Why are you doing this?: Because I hate myself. Kidding! I love gaming, I've loved making them, and I want to keep doing it and get better at it. I am also fulfilling a promise to myself to complete a game jam every month for the year of 2022, and this game is February's contribution. I am documenting this process to help myself and others with the whole learning game development thing.

Game Outline, Day 1:

Preface: Stress Cup is a game being developed for Brackey's Game Jam 2022.1 which you can find more info about here: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-7 The theme of the jam is "THIS IS NOT REAL". I have seven days (roughly 6.5 at the time of this writing) to complete the game and submit it to the submission page. Since I am mainly doing the conceptualization of the game right now, it is inevitable that a lot of the game that is described here will change during its development (hence this section outlined as "Game Outline, Day 1."

Gameplay Summary: The player will control a character on a flat 2D plane using probably the arrow keys, probably WASD, probably d-pad, maybe joystick. The object will be to move that character to avoid flying obstacles that manifest themselves randomly following a visual/auditory prompt represented by a generalized fear or anxiety. An example: Text appears on screen saying, "I can't afford rent, so I'm going to be homeless!" followed by that fear/anxiety spawning an obstacle that flies at the the player in a set pattern that they have to avoid, and then disappears. The player will play this level for a short amount of time (maybe 15-30 seconds). Every time you're hit, the damage caused to you will fill up a "cup," represented by a graphic on screen. At the end of the run, you will go to "therapy," represented by a menu. On this menu, you will have the option to select an anxiety that has been appearing on screen and work toward "resolving" it (an example: "Work on fear of finances (x2 sessions until resolved)." Once an anxiety is "resolved," that anxiety (and thus their obstacles associated with them) will appear during the level less frequently. You will then start the 15-30 second level over with your cup filled with however much damage you accumulated. If your damage exceeds the size of your cup, you will then begin to fill up the cups of others (significant other, family, friends, etc.). The goal of the game will be to clear all of your anxieties through therapy with as few cups filled as possible.

Player Experience Summary: Frantic arcade action excitement, with a dash of number-progression endorphins.

Development: The game will be developed in Unity and coded in C#. A development log post will be posted at least daily. Work on the game will likely be limited due to the nature of my schedule (nights and weekends). I will have to look up several tutorials to get my desired features, but I do know enough to get started.

Aesthetics: Due to the nature of the game jam's time crunch (and my limited skillset), graphics will be intentionally minimalist. Likely high-contrasting colors, simple shapes. The audio will be very simple, likely sound effects I record with my microphone using my voice. Music will be public domain or license free or whatever the language is for "you can use this for free."

Prospective Development Priority List:

1. Conceptualize game (done!)
2. Develop foundational game mechanics using placeholder assets (the main level, the therapy menu, and all of the stats that need to be tracked)
3. Develop gameplay assets, such as anxieties/obstacles, and implement them in the main level
4. Make sure these gameplay elements can be altered in the therapy menu
5. Add as many gameplay assets as possible
6. Implement more complete visual/audio assets
7. Playtest and bug fix
8. Polish
9. Submit Game

Whew!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 04:36:01 AM by yousayrandy » Logged
yousayrandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 06:26:49 AM »

Update 1:
Okay, so "daily" updates turned into... not that. The free time I would have had updating this devlog was spent working on the game, which I supposed is a good problem to have. Nevertheless, there's no sense in having a devlog if I'm not going to update it, so I will give you some info on what I've been doing the past couple of days.

2/20/2022 Day 1: I created the first post of the devlog. Immediately after I submitted (and got the baby to bed), I began work on the game. I launched the Unity project (2D template, version 2021.2.6f1) and began laying down the blocks. One thing I've noticed is that I'm finally beginning to feel comfortable in the "development hat." It's not that I'm a genius programmer or artist or anything, but the fact that I can open this thing up and mostly know where everything is, how it goes together, and what I need to do to get what I need done is an extremely gratifying feeling. I was able to very quickly get my player object on screen and moving -- within a few minutes at most -- and have them collide with an enemy. I was able to transfer damage to the player and keep track of it. I was able to set up my variables and get my inspector to show configuration parameters (like move speed). All of this was done in the span of maybe an hour at most, when previously, I would have been hitting my head against the wall trying to figure out how to do it. It's really nice to have the tools and skill necessary to actually do work instead of spending all of your time learning how to do something.

2/21/2022 Day 2: Not nearly as much work was done on the game on this day as I wanted, but fortunately, with my improved skillset, I was able to get a decent amount done. I got all the placeholder assets and interface elements in place. I attached them to the appropriate variables. I did some debugging to make sure they were all connected and worked, and they did. Decent progress for how little I was able to touch the thing.

2/22/2022 Day 3: Momentum picked up tremendously. Fortunately, I have a job that affords me enough downtime that I can work on it in between my occupational responsibilities (thank you, paying my dues!). I got LOTS done, too much to list, but I have myself a placeholder play screen. Behold!

It is ugly as sin and, without proper context, makes zero sense, but it's mine and I worked hard on it, darn it! HOPEFULLY this is all placeholder. There is a risk I won't have time to make this look any good at all, but that's the price you pay for working under a tight deadline. As it is, it functions, and I'm happy.

Here's a better description of the elements, so you can get a better sense of what this game is:

A. Player: You move this thing around (flat plane -- up, down, left, right, diagonal) with WASD or the arrow keys. Controller might also work? Haven't tested it.
B. Enemy (Stress): This is the first enemy and something you will avoid. This first enemy represents financial stress, and he currently appears at a spawn point that's off-screen, moves in a pattern (currently travels in the path of a dollar sign -- I used Unity's animation feature to achieve this), and you have to avoid his trajectory. If you get hit...
C. CUPacity: ...you begin to fill your cup. The player does have a 2-second invincibility phase after taking damage, represented by a sprite flicker (I used Unity's animation feature). As it is right now, the cup counter goes up by one per hit, but there is a variable that will increase the damage that will be implemented later. I think this is broken right now, but if you exceed your CUPacity, a new cup will appear, representing the cup of someone close to you.
D. Stress Message: When the Enemy Stress spawns, this text is updated to reflect an internal stressor that people often tell themselves. I have this set to an array to display a random message corresponding to this category of stress (in this case: financial). The example shows, "How am I going to pay to get my car fixed?" whereas the next time this stress spawns, it might say something like, "I shouldn't have gone to the doctor -- now I have a medical bill." Each category of stressor will have a collection of possible messages it will display when it spawns. Obviously, messages will be constantly overwriting each other and will become overwhelming and unreadable, and that's exactly the point.
E. Timer: A timer that counts down, duh! Once it reaches zero, you will go to the "therapy menu." And that will be the loop! Try not to get hit, have as few cups as possible, access therapy menu and select options to change your game experience. The game concludes once you have exhausted all options on the therapy menu.

Reflections:
Pleasant Surprises: It turns out practice does actually improve your ability. Who knew? I was wildly surprised how often I was able to say, "I need to do this to make this happen," and then actually do it without much issue. That is a far cry from the many years I spent dabbling in game development where I spent several hours learning how to do something before I was able to implement it. I'm also surprised how quickly this has come together as a result, because I definitely anticipated struggling with a lot of these basic aspects.

Challenges: I did anticipate having trouble keeping track of all the info, such as accumulated damage and how best to store it. I'm STILL struggling with it, and I'm certain there will be bugs by the end. While I am definitely past the "if I can do this" phase of development, I'm not quite into the phase of "I can do this well." My code is vomit-inducing. At the end of the day, the thing just needs to function, so I just have to keep trucking along and hope nothing explodes at the end. I also did struggle getting certain things to work because I made some stupid mistakes, but I was able to logic my way out of them pretty quickly. That's pretty standard for programming, though.

What's Next?: Today, I hope to be mostly, if not completely done with the main play screen (with placeholder assets). I have a total of eight stress enemies I need to create, and I need to make sure the info translates to the HUD appropriately and doesn't get out of whack. That will be a challenge, but I'm optimistic about my ability to do it. Tomorrow, I hope to begin working on the menu, which I anticipate being the biggest challenge yet, because I have ZERO experience doing that!
yousayrandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »

Update 2:
Good news, despite bad news! The good news is that I am way ahead of schedule, despite (the bad news of) not having as much time to work on it as I would've liked. Being a slightly-more-competent-than-anticipated developer is paying dividends! Let me go over what I was able to accomplish yesterday.

2/23/2022 Day 4: 100% of the work done on this day was done at my job during my downtime. It was a decent amount, so I'm not complaining, but I didn't actually get to work on it at home like I wanted. Nevertheless, every "game" feature I wanted to include is there. Behold my updated screenshot (still) with (hopefully) placeholder graphics:

What's new from the previous screenshots? You'll notice that there are more shapes, or "enemy stresses" or whatever I'm calling them. They each have their own pattern and an array of text that will appear randomly in the top box when they spawn (currently it just says "Financial" as placeholder, which is the category for the red diamond). I presently have six stress types created, each with a pretty generic pattern to avoid. I created the pattern by having them spawn at a spawn point offscreen, run an animation that makes them appear onscreen, and then destroys itself after a timer. Since the object itself has a collider and RigidBody, just having the animation collide with the player is enough, and code wasn't necessary to get the desired effect, which saved a lot of time. As it is right now -- while being overwhelming is part of the point -- it is a bit TOO overwhelming. I'll dial back how frequently they spawn and tune all of that stuff later. For now, the majority of the gameplay elements is complete.

You will also notice the "Significant Other's CUPacity" on the HUD. Once you reach your own cup's capacity, whatever damage you take from then on will dump into a new cup belonging to someone else in your life. Once that capacity is reached, it will dump into yet another cup belonging to another person, and so on. There are currently eight cups, and I think I will have the eighth cup be the catch-all "you kind of lost, so here's your total damage" thing. I achieved this by having these game objects in the scene, but disabled. I have a math equation that tells it whether or not to activate the next cup, and then I have it update to show the appropriate number. This is where my limitations as a developer are coming in. I am skilled enough to be able to accomplish this, but not skilled enough to do this in the simplest, most efficient way possible. It's also very messy. Take a look at this block of code:

...or this:

OR THIS!!!!!:

I will give you programmers out there a moment to regain consciousness.

Obviously, there are a million no-nos there, between the repeated code and the overuse of the Update function. However, it works for this small game, and my time would not be better spent trying to make this look prettier. I'm sure I will run into problems, but I currently need to chalk this up to "a weakness I need to work on." And I will!

Reflections:
Pleasant Surprises: I continue to be impressed by how quickly I go from, "How do I do this?" to actually doing this. I only have to go through a few cycles of, "Well, that didn't work," before I'm able to change it into a way that does. Again, coming from... where I'm coming from, this is a HUGE milestone I've reached. I can think about what I want done, look at what I have done, and know how to connect the pieces to make it happen. It's such a wonderful feeling. I wish I could bottle that feeling up and sell it. I'd make a killing. Either way, while these jams I've been participating in were meant as an attempt to gain development skills and experience, it's actually doubling as a huge confidence booster while also giving me extremely valuable knowledge. This whole "complete a game jam every month" thing is paying off in a way I could not have ever expected in my wildest dreams, and it's only the second month!

Challenges: In previous projects, I've often mentioned how "I'm a good enough programmer to be dangerous, but not good enough to actually be good." That is ringing true really hard. See the code blocks above. It hurts me to look at it. But it works, you know? I'm good enough to come up with something like that, which will make building on that an absolute tremendous nightmare for me or anyone else that sees it, but not good enough to redo it in a way that gives me the same effect in a neater, cleaner, more efficient, more organized, and more readable way. Good thing this is a solo project.

Still, I anticipated having far greater challenges than just "my code is ugly." There are worse problems to have, and that's a pleasant surprise in and of itself.

What's Next?: I am way ahead of schedule, but I'm not going to use that to be complacent. The only thing left to make this a minimum viable product is to get the menu up and have it work. All of the variables are already in place. I just need a menu to adjust them. Then, I need to connect the menu and the game screen and have them cycle each round, and we'll have ourselves a complete game loop. If that's done by the end of today, I'll be way way WAY ahead of schedule, and I can start working on aesthetics and polish.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 05:42:30 AM by yousayrandy » Logged
yousayrandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 07:08:36 AM »

Update 3:
Okay, a lot has happened since my last update. It has been quite the rollercoaster of emotions. Spoiler: The game got done, but it was not as easy as it seemed like it would be based on how development was going.

2/24/2022 Day 5: Enough of the core game screen was complete that it was time to do something I was putting off (and actually pushed down the list of priorities): the menu. I HATE doing interface/menu stuff. I was just want it there to get the game doing what it needs to do. Text isn't fun. Gameplay is fun. Unfortunately, the text serves the gameplay, so it's a necessary evil. With my downtime at work reaching critical mass this day, I was determined to get the whole thing done on this day. Fortunately, I was able to do it.

It didn't always look like this. If you can believe it, this is the "final" version.

UX/UI developers don't get enough credit. This stuff is hard, man. This is obviously function over form, but it was a monumental task just for that. Do function AND form, AND making sure it all connects to the right data on the backend? Ugh. Luckily, as I have mentioned previously, my skillset is such that I am able to implement these things with some thought. Getting all the code to do what it needed to do took a few tries, but I got there... with some sloppy shortcuts.

I also added a motivational message that doubles as a gameplay tip once you select something:

And with that, we were finally starting to have a gameplay loop (with the addition of a main menu and end screen, which took no time, but I also added those this day).

2/25/2022 Day 6: I knew my time when I would be available to work on the game was running low, and I knew that I would not be able to stay up until 6am on 2/27 to work on it all night and submit right at the deadline, so my hopes was to have this game mostly, if not entirely, compete by the end of this day. With the menu in place and everything working as intended, it was time to clean it up, add sound, polish, playtest, and so on. That's what I did.

Not a whole lot of really eventful stuff in terms of the development. There were a few bugs. Getting the sound to work really didn't take too much effort, because -- and I will say this forever, because apparently I have imposter syndrome -- I am a skilled enough developer that I just know how to do that. I was even able to implement a rudimentary mute function. All it does is disable the "audio listener," but by God, the sound stopped when you pressed the button.

This was Friday, and by the night, I was really hoping to wrap it up. Between you and me, I had given myself a "reward" incentive. I would purchase myself Elden Ring if I was able to complete the jam as best as I could. As in, submit a game and not just phone it in. I also knew that Saturday I would be tremendously busy, so I didn't think I would have time to work on it. I played the game from beginning to end, and I came to a realization: the game was terrible.

The idea was that you would get a reward for bringing the "stresses" down to 0. That reward, originally, was to remove the colliders of the stresses, which means they would no longer cause you harm. That was the message that I had. I had reservations about that idea when I first had it -- that it would make the game too easy -- but that was why I implemented the "cup emptying" loop, which would theoretically offset the ease by increasing the amount of damage the stresses caused. But... there were large sections of the play area that were 100% safe. You could eliminate the stress, move to a spot on the screen, and sit there for the duration unharmed. That defeated the point of being stressed, and was insanely boring to boot!

My soul completely sank. I was left with almost no time left to complete this thing and an incredible design flaw that would render the game total garbage. Obviously, I'm a grown man who fulfills all his responsibilities and obligations, but I couldn't in good conscious submit the game this way and feel good about rewarding myself. Something had to change. But what? Do I remove the reward entirely, effectively removing any incentive to get rid of stresses, and making the distinction between stresses and the idea of "focusing" on them completely pointless? Do I shorten the timer once one reaches zero, increase move speed of the player, reset the damage for free, empty the cup for free... All of these had major design problems, not the least of which that once again it does not give you an incentive to pick and choose which stress to work on. Not to mention the deadline was approaching, and all those coding "shortcuts" I said were no big deal previously would make reworking the game in a reasonable amount of time impossible. I was in trouble.

I verbally attacked my wife, talking about how much time I wasted and how much of a loser I was, and how I would never amount to anything, and how I was ugly and had no friend, and... wait... I was doing exactly what my game was trying to tell people NOT to do. I was letting my stress win. I apologized to her (and to her credit, she was very understanding) and told myself I would sleep on it. I would rethink it. Worst case scenario, I made something. I worked hard on it and learned a lot. I should be proud of that. I went to bed and closed my eyes, trying to relinquish the thoughts from my brain.

That is until I started to drift off and had an epiphany. The problem was I needed to give players a reward that was specific to the stress they eliminated, while also not ruining the game of any fun or challenge in the process. My solution? Well, the screenshot of the final menu probably gave it away, but it was to make the stress you eliminate appear less frequently, but still appear and do damage.

It may sound simple at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Stresses don't go away just because you worked on them. A personal one of mine is I'm constantly worried about finances. I'm MUCH BETTER about it, but it does come back up again from time-to-time. There's no getting rid of that for me, even though I'm in a better place with it. That is the experience I want to convey. Make a stress less common, but don't get rid of it. It's always going to be a part of your life. You just have to find ways to deal with it.

It also meant that I didn't have to rework everything. I already had a function to be performed per stress when the count reaches 0. All I had to do was say, "Hey, this stress's spawn time needs to do X when its count reaches 0." That was literally all it would take. And even more fortunately, it worked from a gameplay perspective. The game gets harder as you empty your cup and have a damage multiplier, but gets easier per stress you get to 0 for a bit, and then builds back up if you're forced to empty your cup more. Even better? It's a score based game, so you could replay it and take a different approach.

This solution was far from perfect, but it sounded A LOT better. I knew the following day I would have very limited time to implement it, though, so I had to work fast.

2/26/2022 Day 7: My entire day was filled, so I knew that my only time to work on this was when my wife went to work in the evening, and after the baby went to bed. I had to hope that he went down easy and stayed asleep, because I needed as much time as possible to implement the new change.

The time had come. My wife went off to work, the baby was winding down... except he was not going down easy. I started filling my own cup. "Well, he's going to stay up all night and I won't have time to work on it and I'm going to be a failure." I didn't let that narrative consume me, though. I would get this done, and again, what was the worst that would happen? I did have SOMETHING to submit, and the experience was worthwhile. No shame in defeat on this one. Still, I desperately wanted to make it as best I could. I "patiently" waited for the baby to go to sleep. He finally did, hours later than I had hoped he would, and I got to work.

The night before, in my fit of rage and despair, I had hammered on the code trying to make it design itself into a better game. Obviously, that didn't work, and all it did was confuse the heck out of me when I opened it up and tried to figure out what changed I had made. It took me probably 30 minutes just to wrap my head around what I did. I got back to a good starting point, and started creating my new functions to go off when stressed = 0. I tested it, fully expecting it to explode at the outset, and something strange happened: it worked, instantly. The code I came up with, logically, just worked out of the gate. Yes! And guess what? The game was a lot more playable.

While some shortcuts I made did make it a lot harder to develop, I did take time to make sure that all of my gameplay variables were easily changed without issue. I Serialized them in the inspector, and now, with all of the code in place, I needed to tune this sucker. This process took the remainder of the night, and I'm still not 100% thrilled with it, but it became something resembling a game that one could play. As the night approached and my body was shutting down for the night, I hastily compiled the package and uploaded it to itch.io.

The game launched on the webpage with an error. Great! I spent probably an additional hour figuring that out. I honestly couldn't evil tell you why it was happening, but I checked and unchecked some boxes in the build settings and I was finally able to get it to work. I uploaded it, it worked, and the page went live. "I'm done... finally. I made it." That's what I thought to myself. I needed a moment to destress before bed, so I went to my couch with a seltzer water and watched some fitness YouTube videos. I had done it. February 2022 game jam complete. Two down, 10 to go.

Until I realized that I didn't submit the game to the jam page. OH NO! That would be BRUTAL if I forgot that. I have no idea what prompted me to remember, but I freakishly ran back to my computer and submitted the game to the page. NOW I've done it. Whatever the game is, whatever from it took, I was done.

I was very disappointed with how it turned out, especially with how well development was going, but I had done it. I was so drained, and that, in conjunction with the baby having a worse-than-average night, I resigned myself to be done with it, and just decided to put the description and devlog off until later. I went to sleep.

2/27/2022 Day 7: I woke up shortly before the deadline, as if that mattered (the game was submitted). Having put off the devlog originally because I wanted to focus on "striking while the iron was hot" vis-a-vis development, the idea of thinking about it or looking at it disgusted me. I was really down about how it turned out, so I just decided to ignore it. I knew I would have to get to updating the log eventually, and I knew the game needed a description, but I could do that any time, and my soul couldn't handle it. I went about my day, played some video games, watched some stuff, and just tried to blow off some steam. I hadn't intended on even acknowledging the game on this day.

In the evening, my wife came to me and said, "Did you get any feedback on your game yet?" I said, "No, this is a popular jam with over a thousand submissions. I doubt anyone will even see it." A few moments passed, and then she said, "You have three comments." I felt a combination of surprise, excitement, and dread. Someone sifted through the mountains of high-quality submissions and found my game with no description or screenshots, a UI that might as well not exist, and assets that are just built-in shapes? Clearly they hated it.

No! At the time of this writing, the game has had a handful of comments, and all of them were positive! They totally got what I was going for, and some people even complimented on stuff I didn't like about it.

I will post more about this in my final thoughts, but this lifted my spirits tremendously, and I felt very emotional. The rollercoaster of emotions I had and the amount of stress I felt making this game that was, ironically, about managing stress is nothing short of astonishing. I never expected what this jam in particular would do to me, considering how laid-back the previous one was.

But that's what happened over the last few days of development. At the time of this writing, I still have not updated the description, although that's what I plan on doing after writing this post. I will update the main post with the link to the game, and write a "final thoughts" post here shortly.
yousayrandy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 07:54:17 AM »

Final Thoughts:
I have a lot of complex feelings about this challenge I put on myself of completing a game jam every month in 2022. I've always had the dream of becoming a game developer -- at least, one who made a living working on the development of video games. I'm 32 years old and spent most of my life taking the wrong approach to make it happen. It's not that I'm disappointed with how my life has turned out or continues to turn out, but the itch of making games for a living will always be there. Yes, this "challenge" is definitely part of me still chasing that dream -- I hope to build a portfolio to show potential employers and the skillset to perform the job -- but it's more than that. I really, truly enjoy the process of making games. I feel like I'm pretty good at it considering I've had no formal training, haven't really contributed to a "game development community" before, and only have a handful of completed short projects to me name and a gargantuan list of uncompleted projects. I love comments about my game, both the positive and the constructively critical, and I hope to use everything I ran into during this process to make me stronger as a developer.

This challenge is also helping me learn a lot about myself. I'm fairly comfortable and confident in who I am, and I know very well who I am as a person, but even I'm discovering things that I didn't realize while making these games. And it's only been two games out of the 12 I've committed to! I don't want to get too personal with it, but what else is there left to discover about who I am? Maybe 32 isn't that old after all.

As for the development of Stress CUPacity (its new name) specifically, I'm BEGINNING to be very happy with how it turned out. Now that people with fresh eyes can play it for what it is, and they don't see the struggle that I went through getting it to the state its in, it can be experienced for how it exists, and not for what it could have been or what it was. As a result, the experience I intended for people to have is not clouded by the baggage, and they just... see it. They get it. I'm not telling them about it -- these aren't my friends that I eagerly described the concept of the game to -- they just play it and they understand. That's such a wonderful feeling. Who cares if it's buggy, or has design flaws, or just straight-up has an exploit that makes the game a cakewalk? I put my heart and soul into this thing for 6-7 days. I did so without compromising my life or the lives of anyone in it. I have a final product that people have played and saw the value in. There are few feelings that are greater than that.

When I submitted the game, I thought I set myself up for failure with this 12-month game jam challenge. I didn't want to do it anymore, and was only going to do it because I didn't want to give up on something I committed to. But being on the other end of it and seeing that other people find value in what I've created has reignited the fire in me, and I can't wait to get to the next game jam. It's ironic that I made a game about managing stress, and then MANAGED to STRESS myself out in the way my game is trying to get people to avoid. Perhaps I learned something from my own work.

If anyone has read this far, thank you for indulging me. Thank you for bearing with me through this mountain of useless text. Thank you for dedicating however much time you did to allowing me to occupy some of busy schedule. It is been a tremendous joy making this, and I hope you come along for the next one, which will be posted here as well.

Sincerely,

-Randy Fluharty, creator of Stress CUPacity
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic